PDA

View Full Version : OT: Joshua Bell

LegendRider
04-13-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm not a classical music expert by any means, so I'd like some advice on which Joshua Bell CD I should get? I.e., which one would a philistine enjoy most?

J.Greene
04-13-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm not a classical music expert by any means, so I'd like some advice on which Joshua Bell CD I should get? I.e., which one would a philistine enjoy most?

Live in L'fant Plaza

JG

mcteague
04-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Go for the music, not the artist. Any particular reason you want a JB disk? Better to ask which Beethoven violin concerto to buy, etc. However, the classical music business needs big stars like Bell to stay alive. The 3 tenors crap sells more than nearly all the rest of the classical catalog combined.

Tim McTeague

paulh
04-13-2007, 11:30 AM
I like the soundtrack to "The Red Violin".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00000J28V/sr=1-1/qid=1176481753/ref=dp_image_0/102-4788061-5133712?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music&qid=1176481753&sr=1-1

fiamme red
04-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Any particular reason you want a JB disk?I'd guess because he read this Washington Post article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html)?

LegendRider
04-13-2007, 11:44 AM
I'd guess because he read this Washington Post article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html)?

That's exactly right.

JGardner
04-13-2007, 12:07 PM

Try this via Tom Manoff of NPR.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9528118

jhcakilmer
04-13-2007, 02:23 PM
I couldn't disagree more......the quality of the artist is much more important. The composer is obviously essential, but the translation, and expression can make or break a piece of music. There are lots of sub-par recordings out there, a world renown artist like Joshua Bell chooses the selections that he plays very carefully, so your only going to hear the best pieces.......however you may find certain selections more interesting then others, is personal preference.

Here is another story from NPR that I heard....kind of amuzing!!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9521098

Go for the music, not the artist. Any particular reason you want a JB disk? Better to ask which Beethoven violin concerto to buy, etc. However, the classical music business needs big stars like Bell to stay alive. The 3 tenors crap sells more than nearly all the rest of the classical catalog combined.

Tim McTeague

gone
04-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Bell's recent recording of the Tchaikovsky Concerto in D has been widely praised and deservedly so. Considering you're not a classical music expert, this would be a good choice as it's one of the most well known pieces in the violin repertoire. Bell plays it very well.

rounder
04-13-2007, 11:56 PM
the interesting thing to me is that i never had heard of the guy...josh bell. and am not sure whether you all did either. it was like we all stumbled on it together from a sunday magazine article (long) that most of us probably had not read. i listened to the link several times and loved it...not because it was familiar and reminded me of past good memories...it was something totally different. the guy can play. usually i like guitar music...the more accoustic the better...but this was different and good.

mcteague
04-14-2007, 07:26 AM
I couldn't disagree more......the quality of the artist is much more important. The composer is obviously essential, but the translation, and expression can make or break a piece of music. There are lots of sub-par recordings out there, a world renown artist like Joshua Bell chooses the selections that he plays very carefully, so your only going to hear the best pieces.......however you may find certain selections more interesting then others, is personal preference.

You miss my point. Just asking for a JB disk without regard to what he is playing will most likely result in dissapointment for a classical newbie. There is no question that the performance is key but, and this is a big but, you really should like the type of music being played. If you don't care for the music of Shostakovich it won't matter how well Joshua Bell plays his trio #1.

Tim McTeague

Larry
04-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Bell's recent recording of the Tchaikovsky Concerto in D has been widely praised and deservedly so. Considering you're not a classical music expert, this would be a good choice as it's one of the most well known pieces in the violin repertoire. Bell plays it very well.
There is an incredible recording of Perlman performing Tchaikivsky with the Philadelphia Orchestra with Ormandy. (Early recording, maybe hard to find.)
Early Perlman.......fantastic!!

Larry
04-14-2007, 08:33 AM
The West Side Story Medley that he did a while back is really, really
outstanding.
Technical fireworks and beautifully arranged for orchestra and solo
violin. Bell is especially good at this style.

.....But I'll bet he cannot paint a frame like the other Bell!!!!!!!!

Louis
04-14-2007, 12:03 PM

I heard the lead-in on NPR for this story and was bummed when I missed it. For those who didn't hear about it there's a brief summary below from the NPR site.

Granted the commuters were busy, so maybe even just seven people stopping is more than the usual busker would get, but this raises the old "blind taste test" question one can apply to any area where you have cognoscenti (classical music buffs = us) who have drunk the Kool-Aide and claim that they can identify significant differences between the less expensive product and the top-of-the line product (concert hall vs busker = Serotta vs. Douglas).

Louis

================================================== ==

"Virtuoso concert violinist Joshua Bell plays more than 200 international bookings a year. But in January, he found himself performing during rush hour for morning commuters at a metro station in Washington, D.C.

Bell, who on Tuesday won the Avery Fisher Prize for outstanding achievement in classical music, talks to Michele Norris about the stunt, an experiment concocted by The Washington Post columnist Gene Weingarten.

During the 40 minutes he played, Bell says only seven people stopped to listen — and only one person recognized him. He earned $59 — if you include the $20 the woman who recognized him left."

arsegas
04-15-2007, 01:16 AM
I highly recommend Joshua Bell's recording of Fritz Kreisler -- "The Kreisler Album".

97CSI
04-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Live in L'fant Plaza JGOnly seven people and $32. I was surprised.

Larry
04-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Interesting........

Bell starts out playing the Bach Chaconne on the video clip.
This is one of the most sophisticated unaccompanied pieces
in all of violin literature. It is not easily absorbed by the average
"passer-by." It has to be listened to intently.

I assume most of the other pieces were of the "Classical" vein.
In the rush of the day, few cared to stop.
.....Just another violinist trying to earn a buck.

He should have mixed it up with "The Orange Blossom Special"
"Devil Went Down to Georgia", "Oh What a Beautiful Morning".
and other recognizable and tuneful favorites. His choice of music was way to serious to expect an audience to tune in. You have to play to the crowd,
and this is why pro orchestras perform POPS concerts.

Andrew Lloyd Weber favorites went off like fireworks last night at the symphony. People loved it, and were still buzzing in the lobby at the end of the concert. And, I must admit.......it made people happy. They could relate at this level.