PDA

View Full Version : If you could only have one pair of wheels ...

ergott
04-13-2007, 06:59 AM
What would they be and why? Let's put them on what you call your A bike (whatever that may be). Only one set of wheels so think of what you put that bike through.

I love to hear the different ideas that come here as there is a very wide range of rider types here. You guys/gals are also a very eloquent bunch. So, what would they be and why? Clarify what type of riding you do and what priorities made you come to your decision. I'll chime in my vote later.

saab2000
04-13-2007, 07:04 AM
Nucleon tubulars.

I got mine a couple years ago and have never looked back.

-Solid
-Reliable
-Stiff-feeling (I only write this because I don't know if they really are stiff, but they feel like they are)
-Tubular tires have been very reliable

Tom
04-13-2007, 07:21 AM
I have not graduated to tubulars, and I'm really not sure they make Neutron tubulars right now.

As fast as Ksyrium SLs, as smooth as OPs, accelerate fast, turn great, ride through holes without whining about it.

I'll max out at about 200-250 miles a week in the good weather and I ride as long as the roads don't have snow and ice on them. I weigh about 165-175 pounds generally.

atmo
04-13-2007, 07:25 AM
campagnolo record strada or pave rims (the 22.2mm version)
campagnolo record hubs
2x front and rear
28 spokes front and rear
built by ric hjertberg, he - of wheelsmith, inc

had 3 pair like these in the 90s, and they had no peers

ichie
the R is silent atmo

christian
04-13-2007, 07:33 AM
My ideal every-day, all-day wheelset:

2006 Campagnolo Record hubs 32r/28f
3x and 2x laced
Velocity Aerohead/Aerohead OC clincher rims
brass nipples
Sapim Race spokes

My slightly less ideal, but dreamier wheelset:

2006 Campagnolo Record hubs 28r/24f
2x and radial laced
brass nipples
Sapim CX Ray spokes

I ride for fun in Northern NJ and Rockland and Westchester Counties. Most of my rides are 50-80 miles in length.

- Christian

PS: I really like the wheelset you built me, but the lack of different flange hole drillings in 2007 Record is a real drag!

michael white
04-13-2007, 07:53 AM
open pro 32 f and r 14/15 brass nipples on DT/Hugi 240 hubs.

Too Tall
04-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Good question. If I were restricted to one set of do everything wheels they'd have to "do": daily commute, crits, brevets, transcontinentals, cyclocross...pretty much everything except quack like a duck :rolleyes:

I'd pick the most long lived lowest maintence hub EVER and that's a Dura Ace 32X32. For rims I'd have to say it is a toss up between Velocity Escape and Velocity Pro. I know the pro will take a beating and roll real fine on the brevets / transcontinentals and is no slouch for D2R2 providing stability and strength. I'd only regret having the weight in crits. not a huge dealio....BUT the Velocity escape defy my ability to kill and wheel and they are soooo strong, pretty light and oh so fine a ride...so I'd pick the Velocity Escape.

Spokes? Whatevah my wheelbuilder likes. I am partial to 2X front for that hub and traditional 3X rear to withstand offroad beatings.

H.Frank Beshear
04-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Fir st 120 rims laced 3x to Chorus hubs with hmm what ever spokes that guy in New York built them with :D .Thanks Eric

Ray
04-13-2007, 08:04 AM
and neither of those things are gonna happen. But if it did, it would have to be a pretty versatile bike so it would need pretty versatile wheels.

For that, I'd go with a good set of hubs, Dura Ace, Record, King, whatever laced to 32 hole Open Pro in front and something similar with offset spokes in back. I used to use some sort of matrix rear for these wheelsets, but I haven't had one built in a while, so I'm not sure what's out there now. These wheels would be tough enough for light off-roading and touring and hauling groceries and would still be light and fast enough feeling for "fast" road rides. I prefer lighter, quicker feeling wheels for my road rides and beefier wheels for my utility riding, but if I had to go with one set...

-Ray

weiwentg
04-13-2007, 08:13 AM
2006 Campagnolo Record hubs 28r/24f
2x and radial laced
brass nipples
Sapim CX Ray spokes

hmm ... I don't think Campy ever made their 2006 record hubs in 24h. the least they had that I remember was 28. and radial lacing is verboten; you run a higher chance of cracking the flanges, and they won't warranty it. I've still seen people do it without trouble, of course.

to answer the original question ... probably the Neutron Ultras. I commute as well as ride for fun. no racing. Maggie Bäckstedt raced PR on Neutrons. at 125lbs, I figure I can commute on them. better not brake too much or break a spoke, though.

J.Greene
04-13-2007, 08:21 AM
On my Sachs I'm runnong Eurus tubs. I have been as happy with those wheels as any EVER.

JG

ergott
04-13-2007, 08:25 AM
and neither of those things are gonna happen. But if it did, it would have to be a pretty versatile bike so it would need pretty versatile wheels.

For that, I'd go with a good set of hubs, Dura Ace, Record, King, whatever laced to 32 hole Open Pro in front and something similar with offset spokes in back. I used to use some sort of matrix rear for these wheelsets, but I haven't had one built in a while, so I'm not sure what's out there now. These wheels would be tough enough for light off-roading and touring and hauling groceries and would still be light and fast enough feeling for "fast" road rides. I prefer lighter, quicker feeling wheels for my road rides and beefier wheels for my utility riding, but if I had to go with one set...

-Ray

Think in terms of your A bike. (road, cross, or other). I don't want to imply that one set of wheels need to fulfill you every need. Say you consider you A bike a race bike... or a touring bike... or a cross bike...

labratmatt
04-13-2007, 08:25 AM
2006 Campagnolo Record hubs 32r/28f
3x and 2x laced
brass nipples
Sapim Race spokes

christian hit it right on the head for me. I'd have to make sure everyything is silver though. None of that black business.

SimonC
04-13-2007, 08:38 AM
The 'A' bike is my Audax / tourer / commuter because it sees so many more miles than anything else - so it would have to be a set of Phil Wood SL Disc hubs on Open Pro 36h, laced 3-cross.

musgravecycles
04-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Mavic Paris Roubaix SSC rims
Phil hubs
32h 3x all around
Laced by Joe Young
Shod in Veloflex Roubaix's

Swap some Ambrosio Nemesis rims out for the Mavics (I couldn't pony up for the Mavics), and I end up with my "apocalypse" wheels. Best wheel's I've ever ridden bar none.

Dave B
04-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Chris King ISO Disc hubs on tubless rims (Mavic 819)

I am a mountain bike at heart, and use road riding to gain some fitness and to clear my head.

So, why Kings.

Many people have their opinions on King, but here is how I see it.

I have read several articles on Chris King's environmental philosphy and his desire to leave less of an impact on his environment with his productions. He has stopped making certain colored products due to the affect it has on the environment. I think that shows courage and back bone.

I always here people say, "Well ours is as good as a King!" "Ours last as long as a king!" "Ours are better then a King!"

Manufactures strive to have the quality and acceptance in the industry like King does. People use his products as the benchmark, and few match it.

When i was enjoying the NAHMBS pics, it was as if almost all designers had a king product on it (and a brooks, but they also rock!) even if it was just a headset.

Plus I love that sound. Angry bees baby!

His pink series helps people who may not be able to ride bikes or could care less about bikes.

His stuff lasts!

He keeps raising prices for the same product! I love it!

LegendRider
04-13-2007, 09:04 AM
campagnolo record strada or pave rims (the 22.2mm version)
campagnolo record hubs
2x front and rear
28 spokes front and rear

had 3 pair like these in the 90s, and they had no peers

ichie
the R is silent atmo

Interesting. I just has a very similar set built.

- Mavic Helium NOS tubular rims (28 hole)
- DA 7800 hubs
- Sapim CX-Ray spokes (2x)
- Veloflex Carbons

Question for wheelbuilders. I weigh 160 -165 lbs - do you think the rear wheel is sturdy enough for me? Do strong spokes create strong wheels (i.e., does having CX-Ray spokes make up for only having 28 spokes)?

atmo
04-13-2007, 09:17 AM
22.2mm width rims for tubs is the key.
stronger rim. fewer spokes.

ichie
the R is silent atmo

zap
04-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Mavic Cosmic Carbone Pro. Tubular of course.

I have the originals that still work. The rear (16spoke v.) is not that stiff but they have 20 spokes now.

I know enough about these wheels that I can take them apart in the dark. They are pretty darn aero and work very well for the majority of my flat to rolling routes. The al brake surface is a plus for those wet days.

Life's too short to ride slow wheels!

zank
04-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Road:
Hubs: White Industries H1
Rims: Reflex Silver or Velocity Aerohead/Aerohead OC
Spokes: Sapim Laser
2 cross, 32 front
3 cross/2 cross, 32 rear

Cross:
Hubs: DT 240s
Rims: Reflex Ceramic
2 cross, 32 front
3 cross/2 cross, 32 rear

Mtn:
Hubs: King Iso Disk
Rims: noTubes ZTR Olympic
3 cross, 32 front
3 cross, 32 rear

Mtn Single Speed:
Hubs: White Industries Eno Disk
Rims: noTubes ZTR Olympic
3 cross, 32 front
3 cross, 32 rear

I like all of the hubs mentioned and I think they only have peers. To my eye, each goes well with a particular style of bike.

RPS
04-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Dura Ace / Open Pro
28F/32R – 3X
Revolution 14/17 except 14 gauge drive rear w/ brass

I weigh between 150-160 lbs and ride stuff that doesn’t break or need much work/attention.

Not a weight weenie and don’t ride aero rims because of cross winds.

Ray
04-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Think in terms of your A bike. (road, cross, or other). I don't want to imply that one set of wheels need to fulfill you every need. Say you consider you A bike a race bike... or a touring bike... or a cross bike...
Well OK. I currently ride Ksyriums on my A bike most of the time because they feel very direct and fast. I sometimes use a set of Mike Garcia wheels built with DT hubs, a DT front rim, and a Velocity OCR rear rim. They don't feel quite as direct as the Ksyrium but they're lighter, which is nice for long climbs, are a bit smoother riding, which is really nice on long rides. And if a spoke broke, I'd have a chance at keeping the wheel rideable until I could get it repaired. I usually keep these on the B bike and put 'em on the A bike for centuries or other long, hilly rides. So I'd have to go with these as an ONLY set even though they're not the set I ride the majority of the time.

-Ray

don'TreadOnMe
04-13-2007, 10:52 AM
road wheels:

Low Rotating Weight
Fast/Aero
Laterally Stiff
Good Braking
Bomb Proof Hubs

All cooked up in a set-it-and-forget-it build.
I don't mind fixing something wheel-related if I hit something hard or make a mistake out on the road, but I can't stand JRA-type trueness/tension/bearing issues.

Parts is parts, just give me the result.

LesMiner
04-13-2007, 11:02 AM
HED Jet 50

The factory is just a couple of miles from my LBS.

tv_vt
04-13-2007, 11:17 AM
One set, then definitely not factory-built.

Something like this:

DA 9speed hubs, either 32 F/R, or maybe 28H up front
Sapim CX Ray spokes, 3x rear, 2x (28H) or 3x (32H) up front
(these spokes are a nice upgrade)
Rims either Open Pro black (or maybe DT RR 1.1 - have a new set, but jury is out until the snow finally leaves VT)
brass nipples

Pretty basic, but relatively light, and pretty strong and durable. Could handle anything.

FWIW, I weigh 175.

TV

Orin
04-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Since only ONE pair...

Front has to be a Schmidt generator hub. 32 14/15 db spokes, Open Pro or Velocity Aerohead depending on what the wheelbuilder prefers.

Rear. Campy 2006 Chorus or Centaur or Record if cheaper. Spokes and rim as for front with slight preference for an offset rim.

Not so different to what I'm riding most of the time - except the front is 36 spokes as that's what the local dealer had in stock. Rear hub is 2000 or so Chorus and it's on its second Open Pro rim.

Get those 2006 hubs quickly... there are good deals around now. In fact, I might get a pair of Centaurs just for spare parts.

Orin.

Steve Hampsten
04-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Open Pro or DT Swiss 1.1 rims
32 hole
1.8/1.6 spoke gauge
brass nips
DA 10 or DT Swiss hubs

oldguy00
04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Mavic Cosmic Carbone Pro. Tubular of course.

I have the originals that still work. The rear (16spoke v.) is not that stiff but they have 20 spokes now.

I know enough about these wheels that I can take them apart in the dark. They are pretty darn aero and work very well for the majority of my flat to rolling routes. The al brake surface is a plus for those wet days.

Life's too short to ride slow wheels!

+1. Although your originals aren't called 'Pro'. The pros are the all carbon model. The ones you (and I) are referring to are the plain Cosmic Carbones with the plastic fairing attached to an aluminum rim. Damn tough wheel, and fast.

chrisroph
04-13-2007, 01:42 PM
It would be hard to have one set only but either:

nucleons, probably clinchers; or

32, campy hub, tubie rims, cross 3, 14-15, brass nips. I just converted to 10 speed a set of mid -90's campy steel axle record hubs in 32 laced cross 2 front cross 2-3 rear, wheelsmith aero spokes, to campy omega strada hardox box section rims, tied and soldered, with vittoria cx tires, and those are sweet riding wheels even if they are non aero and 400 grams heavier than a pair of nuc tubs. They ride sweet, are strong, and inspire confidence. They would be good for just about all types of riding and, if I had to ride them in the wet, it would be cheap and easy to replace rims once the sidewalls wore out from braking on wet volcanic grit.

Lanternrouge
04-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I'd go with Zipp 404 clinchers built on a wireless powertap (32 spokes front and rear, laced 3X) or the new Lew clinchers (I don't like to ride in the rain anyway). I don't the question necessarily presupposed that I'd actually have to pay for this wheel choice :D

marle
04-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Interesting URL fwiw:

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/0-categorie-94458.html

'Conclusion

From the tests, a wheelset seems to be overall better than the others. It is the Shimano WH-7801 Carbon 50mm. A good aero, an excellent stiffness and a medium inertia, here are the characteristics of this versatile wheelset that should get much more attention.'

stevep
04-13-2007, 02:31 PM

ichie
the R is silent atmo

ric is less of a crackpot than he first appears. knows a lot about wheels.
works for fsa now and helps to design their wheels among other things.

fsa wheels are excellent and cheap.

LegendRider
04-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Interesting URL fwiw:

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/0-categorie-94458.html

'Conclusion

From the tests, a wheelset seems to be overall better than the others. It is the Shimano WH-7801 Carbon 50mm. A good aero, an excellent stiffness and a medium inertia, here are the characteristics of this versatile wheelset that should get much more attention.'

Didn't Steve Hed pay a role in designing them?

dirtdigger88
04-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Mavic Paris Roubaix SSC rims
Dura Ace 10 hubs modified to run 9
28hole 2X all around
Laced by Jeremy

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=24135&stc=1

man these wheels are so frickin nice in not even funny-

Ill also have to give a +1 for helium tubulars too- the real ones - not the new ones

Jason

bcm119
04-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't have any fancy wheels so my opinion is probably not worth much, but I've been really happy with my OP's w/ DA 9 and 32 Wheelsmith AE15 spokes/alloy nips. I weigh 155-160 and use 'em for all my dry road rides and road races and crits. They've stayed pretty true for 3 years and if they develop a wobble I can true them easily.

If I get a new set it would be a similar type of wheel maybe with 28 spokes and a similar rim, velocity or maybe those things Mike Garcia uses now.

AgilisMerlin
04-13-2007, 03:47 PM
i just bought a 36 hole dura ace 7800 36 hole rear hub - new for 50.00 bucks inc. skewer................... :no:

i want this to be built as an extra tractor trailer wheel.

will post the question in the future.............as how should i do this

i am partial to mavic ceramic2 open pro, 3x, 32 hole. dt 14/15's dura ace........

http://www.mavic.com/e_img/chapitres/Crossmax_ISM_1.jpg

pretty generic :banana:

Jeff N.
04-13-2007, 04:49 PM
I love my K's. They'd have to be it. DA/Record laced to OP's would do it too. Jeff N.

cadence90
04-13-2007, 05:13 PM
On my road bike I have and love:
Velocity Fusion rims
White Industries LTA (front) and Racer-X (mtb rear) hubs
Sapim CX-Ray 18 radial front / 24 triplet rear.
Sapim Polyax nipples
Built by Dave Thomas

I also like my older Shamals a lot.

Dream wheelset:
Record hubs with ceramic bearings
Corima Aero rims
Sapim CX-Ray or Race spokes

bigbill
04-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Road bike:

I have two sets of wheels with chorus hubs, one with CPX-33 and the other with Open Pro. I can't decide which one I like better. I just like standard spoked wheels.

I do have a set of wheels that I bought from WCP about four years ago. They are carbon tubular rims with 28H Record hubs and Sapim spokes. Quite the deal at $700. I peeled the Colnago stickers off.

Commuter:

I just received a set of wheels from Joe Young. Phil Wood hubs, cassette rear, touring front in 36 hole. Velocity rims and DT supercomp spokes. They will be my favorites as soon as I stop admiring them and actually use them.

1centaur
04-13-2007, 05:54 PM
This is a great personality test - are you the sort of person who has to have an easy to repair wheel for which any LBS will have parts, but you give up on weight and aero to feed your need for safety, or will you say you'd take maximum joy (like the Lew wheels for example, or Lightweights) and really love your ride the 99% of the time you could ride and hate it the one time it broke because you'll be off the bike for weeks/months waiting for a repair.

Me, I'd want an aero wheel that's kinda light but would be gone only a week or two if it broke. Don't want max crosswind action. I'd pick my Tempest IIs except they have the non-standard hubs nobody including Easton wants to deal with anymore. In the end, I'd take the wheels everybody says nobody should want - my 303 clinchers with 240s hubs and CX-ray spokes handbuilt by my LBS. Not impossible to fix as long as the world's infrastructure is still in place. More fun to ride than standard clinchers. Normal brake pads.

40-60 miles of rolling hills with a moderately good road surface would describe my typical ride. Close to various bike shops would also be important to note.

TMB
04-13-2007, 08:18 PM
GEL 330 rims, 32 hole
Record hubs
DT 14/15 spokes - laced 3x front and back.

vaxn8r
04-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Easy. DA 7801.

But Campy anything would be good. Ksyriums would be fine as well. Nothing too light. Nothing carbon. But I like the prebuilts. They just feel right to me.

bigman
04-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Eric we await your choice .....

In the meantime thinking CK hubs laced to open pros - do not really know if the CK's are better than DA 7800 but love the sound, Definitely not my Mavic K's

southernexposur
04-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Record hubs
Record Pave or Mavic SSC rims
32 hole front and rear
DT15db spokes front, 3x alloy nips
DT14db spokes Rear, 3x brass nips
I have a set of each of these and love them both. The Pave rims feel a bit stiffer, but that might just be all in my head. Used to use Corsa CX/CG tires for these, but ran out of my old stock about 2 years ago. Tried the Veloflexes and really like them, although I have glued up some Pave EVO on them now, and _really_ like the extra volume (although I am not so enamoured of the green color). I have used this combo for everything from road racing, cyclocross, commuting and general riding.
I really want Mavic to make a box section tubie with a ceramic brake track. Make this <400 grams and I will buy 10 sets and never ride anything else.
Andrew

atmo
04-13-2007, 10:42 PM
ric is less of a crackpot than he first appears. knows a lot about wheels.
works for fsa now and helps to design their wheels among other things.

fsa wheels are excellent and cheap.
he had been building my wheels since 1976
back when the brothers had the first location.
whelsmith was my biggest dealer and sold
hundreds of RS-ers in the bay area through
to the mid 90s when the biz got chopped up.

JF636
04-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Fir st 120 rims laced 3x to Chorus hubs with hmm what ever spokes that guy in New York built them with :D .Thanks Eric

That is my current build for the last 4 years or so (front has 15/16/15 competitions). The only thing I would change is the rear spoke gauge, I was talked into straight 14ga. for both sides. I never had any problems with them since I built them up, so I never fixed what wasn't broke.

Yes the FiR ST120 is a good rim. ;)

I'd like a tubular 30mm profile in a 28x2 Record (if available) but there aren't many rim choices out there so I'll stick with a box or low profile 32x3 hopefully with '06 chorus or record....but new record if need be.

I was wondering about one of the Alex tubular offerings for a possible upcoming build....Ergott??

stevep
04-14-2007, 06:26 AM
he had been building my wheels since 1976
back when the brothers had the first location.
whelsmith was my biggest dealer and sold
hundreds of RS-ers in the bay area through
to the mid 90s when the biz got chopped up.

they got booted out of palo alto by the skyrocketing rents.
good shop, good guys.
glad they're in it.

i thk john is in montana still...cant find his way back to san francisco.

roadcyc
04-14-2007, 09:32 AM
15ga., 36 spoke, cross 4 on drive side and cross 3 on the other, Mavic Pave rims.
They suit my needs. That's what I have had on my bike for 10 years.

ergott
04-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks all! As mentioned this is almost a personality thing as well. What do you prioritize? I really like that people that don't have a road bike as their 'A' bike chimed in as well.

Grant McLean
04-14-2007, 10:26 AM
they got booted out of palo alto by the skyrocketing rents.
good shop, good guys.
glad they're in it.

i thk john is in montana still...cant find his way back to san francisco.

It was the damn dot com thing that killed it.

My folks lived about 10 minutes from the Wheelsmith store,
I spent many an afternoon in there drooling.
Good times.

g

ergott
04-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Alright you asked for my pick.

Priorities:
handling
ride quality
durability
lateral stiffness

So,
GP 4 rims (thanks 11.4 and ebay)!
Sapim Race spokes
brass nipples
King hubs

1632g (for those that care)

These are getting a pair of Tufo 25 that Dirt has recommended. If they don't work out, then they will get Veloflex Paris Roubaix tires. I have "faster" wheels in my quiver, but since racing is not a priority for me, This is it. I figure they are light enough to put any weight loss onus on yours truely. They might get a tie and solder if I feel like it. I have an extra pair of rims if I need them as I acquired a 32 pair and a 28 pair and split them.

Honestly, the parts list isn't even that crucial. There are a number of tubular rims and quality hubs that I could have used.

Trust me, I haven't given up in fancy shmancy carbon wheels. I have another pair of wheels in the wings. They will be the go to set if I feel like I need the extra oomph.

http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/Pink_King/p4140892.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/Pink_King/p4140893.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/Pink_King/p4140891.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/Pink_King/p4140889.jpg

bobscott
04-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Enjoyable thread.
ERGOTT, is my viewing of your pictures correct in that you built your "one pair" with straight guage spokes?
If so please enlighten me as to why.
thanks,
bobscott

ergott
04-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Enjoyable thread.
ERGOTT, is my viewing of your pictures correct in that you built your "one pair" with straight guage spokes?
thanks,
bobscott

Sapim Race 2.0/1.8/2.0mm

weiwentg
04-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Enjoyable thread.
thanks,
bobscott

Sapim Race spokes are 14/15 spokes, I believe. on Wheelsmith, the taper between the 14g and the 15g section is pretty abrupt, and you can easily tell they're butted spokes. DTs and Sapims transition gradually, so it can be hard to tell, at least for a 14/15 spoke. for a 14/17 spoke, like the DT Revolution or Sapim Laser, it's pretty obvious, but there's still no abrupt transition.

Simon Q
04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
This is a great personality test - are you the sort of person who has to have an easy to repair wheel for which any LBS will have parts, but you give up on weight and aero to feed your need for safety, or will you say you'd take maximum joy (like the Lew wheels for example, or Lightweights) and really love your ride the 99% of the time you could ride and hate it the one time it broke because you'll be off the bike for weeks/months waiting for a repair.

Me, I'd want an aero wheel that's kinda light but would be gone only a week or two if it broke. Don't want max crosswind action. I'd pick my Tempest IIs except they have the non-standard hubs nobody including Easton wants to deal with anymore. In the end, I'd take the wheels everybody says nobody should want - my 303 clinchers with 240s hubs and CX-ray spokes handbuilt by my LBS. Not impossible to fix as long as the world's infrastructure is still in place. More fun to ride than standard clinchers. Normal brake pads.

40-60 miles of rolling hills with a moderately good road surface would describe my typical ride. Close to various bike shops would also be important to note.

+1 on the 303's. Although not purist wheels I absolutely adore my 303 clinchers with 28/28 spoke combo. Light, you really notice the aero effect as speed builds (but fine in any cross wind) stiff and strong enough with the extra spokes and very comfy, soaks up the chatter beautifully. True to the mm after 5000K and a few whacks on blind potholes etc. I love the look of the classic wheels, such as the Ambrisios that dudes had at the PR (how cool is that badge around the valve?) but having ridden a decent carbon/aero wheel I could not go back. I miss the 303's when I ride the rain bike with Open Pros...