PDA

View Full Version : Back from Switzerland - Pics to follow

saab2000
04-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Just flew into Boston on SWISS and then on to Washington on US Airways. Boston is cold and wet. BTW, who designed it to be so hard to get from the Terminal E (International) to the normal terminals?

My "Interview/Assessment/Selektion" went well. They need pilots. Desperately. They currently have airplanes parked because of a lack of crews. Well, that's what they get for cutting pay, decreasing vacation and increasing work hours, huh? Is it any wonder that qualified people are leaving Switzerland to go work for Emirates out of Dubai or Cathay Pacific for double or even three or literally up to four times the salary (if they can be hired right in as a captain)?

Took some pictures of an F1 car sitting in the terminal in Zurich this morning.

I had a good time and am totally bummed out that I did not have my bike with me!! The weather was perfect for riding.

Pics of the non-round door handles to follow.

There are two things I have clearly identified in Switzerland that I don't like - the lack of built-in closets (they don't exist really anywhere in Europe) and the lack of in-apartment laundry facilities. Normally there is a laundry room in the basement and you have an assigned time slot. This stinks, especially if you work odd hours like I do. Anyway, just had to get that comment out there so people don't think that EVERYTHING there is better.

Not everything. Just most things...... :beer:

AgilisMerlin
04-12-2007, 07:30 PM
sounds like the weather was the most uplifting part of the trip...............

ya got jet lag ?

rwsaunders
04-12-2007, 07:53 PM
I could get over the closet thing in exchange for some decent weather and good hot chocolate.

saab2000
04-12-2007, 08:07 PM
ya got jet lag ?

Oh yeah....

Had it when I got there. Have it now. I have been up for about 21 or 22 hours and am tired, but somehow wired. I should be back to normal tomorrow.

Back to work on Sunday.

obtuse
04-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Just flew into Boston on SWISS and then on to Washington on US Airways. Boston is cold and wet. BTW, who designed it to be so hard to get from the Terminal E (International) to the normal terminals?

My "Interview/Assessment/Selektion" went well. They need pilots. Desperately. They currently have airplanes parked because of a lack of crews. Well, that's what they get for cutting pay, decreasing vacation and increasing work hours, huh? Is it any wonder that qualified people are leaving Switzerland to go work for Emirates out of Dubai or Cathay Pacific for double or even three or literally up to four times the salary (if they can be hired right in as a captain)?

Took some pictures of an F1 car sitting in the terminal in Zurich this morning.

I had a good time and am totally bummed out that I did not have my bike with me!! The weather was perfect for riding.

Pics of the non-round door handles to follow.

There are two things I have clearly identified in Switzerland that I don't like - the lack of built-in closets (they don't exist really anywhere in Europe) and the lack of in-apartment laundry facilities. Normally there is a laundry room in the basement and you have an assigned time slot. This stinks, especially if you work odd hours like I do. Anyway, just had to get that comment out there so people don't think that EVERYTHING there is better.

Not everything. Just most things...... :beer:

dude-
that's why they invented the armoire yo......can't fit a case of beer in the stupid midget refrigerators either- gives you all the more reason to drink in public i guess...
as for the laundry issue- i would take the belgian approach-own one pair of pants, one sweater, two collared shirts, a weird t-shirt with some un-itelligable english phrase printed on it, a baseball cap worn in a manner that would get you physically assaulted in the usofa, a belt, some hurting shoes and never, ever wash any of them. they'll start to clean themselves after a while i promise....and you'll score the hot chicks.....look at this idiot for proof.

obtuse

atmo
04-12-2007, 09:19 PM
dude-
that's why they invented the armoire yo......can't fit a case of beer in the stupid midget refrigerators either- gives you all the more reason to drink in public i guess...
as for the laundry issue- i would take the belgian approach-own one pair of pants, one sweater, two collared shirts, a weird t-shirt with some un-itelligable english phrase printed on it, a baseball cap worn in a manner that would get you physically assaulted in the usofa, a belt, some hurting shoes and never, ever wash any of them. they'll start to clean themselves after a while i promise....and you'll score the hot chicks.....look at this idiot for proof.

obtuse
ohmygawd. is that shira shulman? i sat next to
her at the yeshiva and we did all 8 years together.
she got real hot atmo.

ichie
the R is silent atmo but for a knish i'll tell-all about shira...

rounder
04-12-2007, 09:28 PM
shira is hot

PBWrench
04-12-2007, 09:31 PM

saab2000
04-13-2007, 03:00 AM
Non-round door handle. Well, at least different. This one has only one position. Some are also attached to deadbolts for security and slide up too. Very well made. Precision. Feels good to operate.

Window too. Can be all the way opened or just the top. Swiss homes have either real shutters which close at night or mechanical roll-down shutters. I wish US houses had something similiar, especially in a place like Florida where everytime there is a hurricane everyone rushes to buy plywood. These you just roll down and the window is protected.

The car is Nick Heidfeld's BMW. Neither you nor I could buy this car at the local BMW store. This cabrio model doesn't even have a soft top, let alone a hard top. Cruiser poseur car for SoCal types. Tow capability is poor at best and I don't know where you would even mount a bike rack. Pathetic. And look at those tires!! Think you can go muddin' with those? I don't think so!! And the size! Like a big go kart! A PLASTIC GO KART!! And Herr Heidfeld didn't even park it in the parking ramp. Parked right in the terminal. How rude!

The Airbus A340 is not the airplane I would fly. Still, it's a beauty and I thought I would take a pic. This one was going to LAX. I would be flying the more distant 4-holer. Still nice, but not as nice..... BTW, the prop plane next to the distant Avro 4-engine jet is the plane I used to fly at the beginning of this whole flying thing: a SAAB2000!

goonster
04-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Anyway, just had to get that comment out there so people don't think that EVERYTHING there is better.

Well, there's that and then there's also the fact that they're so stingy with the plastic shopping bags. I hate that. :butt:

Big ups for non-round door handles and real windows. I mean, how is an American supposed to open a door with his elbow when covered in grease?

saab2000
04-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Well, there's that and then there's also the fact that they're so stingy with the plastic shopping bags. I hate that. :butt:

Bring your own cloth or mesh bag and never have to throw another paper or plastic bag out again.

But you're right about the door handles!! You can open them with your elbow or any other part of your body! If you are still sober enough to operate the key that is! :beer:

davids
04-13-2007, 09:52 AM
....look at this idiot for proof.

obtuse
Good God, man. I need more warning than that!

...you should take a page from that jerk guy, and rigorously guard your true identity.

dave thompson
04-13-2007, 10:19 AM
My non-round door handle front door.

Brian Smith
04-14-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't own a house, but I've had this bookmarked in case I do:
http://www.europeanwindows.com/engineering.htm
Not exactly what you can find in a normal rental in the USandA.

The tilt-or-swing windows rock, I agree, and the shutters or rolldowns do too, though the rolldowns can wake you when the neighbors hit their kitchen!

How about some photos of round door devices, often found in bathrooms that take (at least me) a second of staring at before I can decide whether they're twist handles or pushbuttons, but look tres moderne?

rePhil
04-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Saab,

After reading your posts I get the feeling you really like what you do....fly
Good for you to have opportunities in front of you.I wish you well and hope you get a great offer.

We do have roll up shutters in Florida. Most of the newer arrivals don't care if the windows open or not, they want the A/C crankin'