PDA

View Full Version : when can I ride again?

Ken Robb
04-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Tuesday AM I had an operation to fix multiple issues in my left shoulder. Soem arthroscopically and some by detaching my deltoid to get into the joint. My pump and catheter with local anesthetic into the joint has run out of juice--ouch. The good news is I can have all the percocet I want! :beer:
Too bad it's not more effective. Doc says I can't raise my arm under its own power for 4 weeks. Well if I could have done that without pain before the operation I wouldn't have needed it. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is I am SO right arm dominant yet it's my left shoulder that wore out. Or maybe it was that mtn. bike crash on my left shoulder a couple of years ago?

Stay tuned: I may have some cool bikes to sell.

bironi
04-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Best wishes on the recovery. I have not found a pain killer that I find pleasureable, but I have never tried the heavy opiate injections when I could make any judgement.

I'm pretty sure you don't ride a 52/53. This forum makes me feel smaller than I am. :beer:

H.Frank Beshear
04-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Don't sell anything until it's fully healed ( that means at least a year) now if you think that they are feeling unwanted you could aways send them to camp for the summer. I'd uhmm the counselors are very caring and generous with the chain lube ;) . Seriously heal fast don't skimp on the pt work. Get well soon. Frank

slowgoing
04-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Hang in there, Ken!

Ken Robb
04-12-2007, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=bironi]Best wishes on the recovery. I have not found a pain killer that I find pleasureable, but I have never tried the heavy opiate injections when I could make any judgement.

My catheter provided local anesthetic into the area of the surgery. The theory (and reality) being that you thereby reduce the need for opiates or the like. Good idea atmo.

dave thompson
04-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Ken: I'll give ya all the percocet, percodan and Tequila® you want. You'll still hurt but you won't care. Send your bikes to me for safe keeping and the occasional cleaning.

Get well buddy!

Kevan
04-13-2007, 06:41 AM
Cabernet Sauvignon using a straw.

Why..I bet you can open a bottle using your feet. Take care.

William
04-13-2007, 06:50 AM
Take up Dave's offer on the "T" and get well soon. ;)

William

Too Tall
04-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Post surgical rehab is critical. Spend the time finding the best info. and folks you can. I know two folks who went thru similar with very diff. results and reckon I'll attribute 99% of that to their rehab approach. No reason you can't start exercising asap. GET TO WORK !!!!

palincss
04-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Tuesday AM I had an operation to fix multiple issues in my left shoulder. Soem arthroscopically and some by detaching my deltoid to get into the joint. My pump and catheter with local anesthetic into the joint has run out of juice--ouch. The good news is I can have all the percocet I want! :beer:
Too bad it's not more effective. Doc says I can't raise my arm under its own power for 4 weeks. Well if I could have done that without pain before the operation I wouldn't have needed it. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is I am SO right arm dominant yet it's my left shoulder that wore out. Or maybe it was that mtn. bike crash on my left shoulder a couple of years ago?

Stay tuned: I may have some cool bikes to sell.

I'm sorry to hear you had this problem. But I have to urge you, please don't over-react. "Can't move your arm for four weeks" basically means beginning with week 5 you can start physical therapy.

When I crashed and broke my shoulder on Memorial Day in 2003, it was almost 2 months before I was able to drive at all, six months before I was able to get on a bicycle, and a year before I was all done with physical therapy.

When I was first allowed to get on a bike at all, I was only able to use a small-wheeler with a very short cockpit and a 4 or 5 cm stem sized for a woman; and it wasn't until the 3rd surgery, something like 9 months after the accident, that I was once again able to comfortably ride in my normal riding position.

I'm certain other forum members can tell similar stories. For example, when sc53 wrecked and broke her arm in December of 2005, it wasn't until April 2006 that she was allowed to start riding again.

Don't lose faith now. It is much too soon to think about giving up and selling your bikes.

catulle
04-13-2007, 09:23 AM
I truly feel you. I've been having problems with my left shoulder for over seven years. Had surgery last year. Only after finding the right therapist I am starting to feel better. Rotator muscles are critical for recovery. Weak small shoulder muscles = problems = pain. Therapy AND the right therapist are critical. And lots of discipline and PATIENCE. I hope you get well as soon as possible. AND DON'T MISS YOUR THERAPY.

Kevan
04-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Post surgical rehab is critical. Spend the time finding the best info. and folks you can. I know two folks who went thru similar with very diff. results and reckon I'll attribute 99% of that to their rehab approach. No reason you can't start exercising asap. GET TO WORK !!!!

wearing black Con hightops, gray sweats, Rocky style, with the towel folded into the collar, making his way down to the taco stand. While punching the air, he accidentally lands a hook upside the chin of the wonderful Mexican lady who makes the best guacamole for the ahi tacos.

The shop has to close indefinitely.

No... you best rest.

Ken Robb
04-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Clarification: I was in physical therapy the day after surgery. It's because my deltoid muscle had to be detached to get into the joint that I am not supposed to raise the arm using its own muscles for four weeks. I'm raising it now by pulling up with my right arm to preserve/improve range of motion.

FWIW, the bag of local anesthetic and pump w/catheter into the surgical site I had was a good thing atmo because I didn't need so much percocet or the like. Apparantly it's still a rather new idea that worked well for me. I wish I'd had it for my knee surgeries a few years ago.

palincss
04-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Clarification: I was in physical therapy the day after surgery. It's because my deltoid muscle had to be detached to get into the joint that I am not supposed to raise the arm using its own muscles for four weeks. I'm raising it now by pulling up with my right arm to preserve/improve range of motion.

FWIW, the bag of local anesthetic and pump w/catheter into the surgical site I had was a good thing atmo because I didn't need so much percocet or the like. Apparantly it's still a rather new idea that worked well for me. I wish I'd had it for my knee surgeries a few years ago.

On the other hand, if you have to take an opiate, percocet's a pretty mellow buzz...

Hang in there. I have every confidence when it's all done you'll be back to normal. If they've got you started on rehab already, it may be done much more quickly than I was guessing.

Kevan
04-13-2007, 08:15 PM
you'll be back to normal.

I can't stop laughing!

Cheers pal.

Ken Robb
04-13-2007, 09:52 PM
I can't stop laughing!

Cheers pal.
hmmmmmmmmm, I can't seem to find an emoticon for "finger". :D

thwart
04-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey, once you rehab back to "close to normal" status, your first few rides will be a truly orgasmic experience... don't you dare sell those bikes. Visualize those rides! It'll help motivate you over the next few months when things don't look good and the therapy seems at a standstill.

You may need to move the bars up a bit though... :D

dave thompson
04-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey, once you rehab back to "close to normal" status, your first few rides will be a truly orgasmic experience... don't you dare sell those bikes. Visualize those rides! It'll help motivate you over the next few months when things don't look good and the therapy seems at a standstill.

You may need to move the bars up a bit though... :D
Hush up! He's already collecting bike boxes so he can send them to me.

Jeff N.
04-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Hang tough, Ken! And don't ever sell that Terraplane until you talk to me first! Jeff N.

Ken Robb
04-14-2007, 01:08 AM
thanks guys--you made me feel better already. :beer:

mikki
05-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Hi Ken

Mikki here. Like others have said, time will improve your outlook and the mobility of your shoulder...get some good pt and massage; it really does make a huge difference if you do the exercises that they recommend.

Don't think of giving up your babies. They will be ready to roll with you however easy you need to take it.

In the worst of cases, they could be considered art and placed in some of these wooden bike racks my hubby and I just saw up in Portland. Would certainly make some good conversation with your guests anyway...

Take care.