PDA

View Full Version : Getting around website prohibitions on copying their pics?

BdaGhisallo
04-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Is there anyway to get around sites like cyclingnews.com and grahamwatson.com not allowing you to save a copy of the images on their pages? I used to use the odd image as my desktop but they have gotten a little testy and prevent me from doing it now!

How dare they?

Anyone know a way around this using IE? Any other ways?

Jeff Weir
04-12-2007, 01:23 PM
If you really like the image you might consider paying for it.

92degrees
04-12-2007, 01:25 PM
You can capture the screen on a mac. Control+Shift+4. Someone could do it for you if you are one of those PC people.

BdaGhisallo
04-12-2007, 01:45 PM
If you really like the image you might consider paying for it

I would be more than happy to if there was an easy way to do it. I don't want a print of the image which Watson offers, I just want the image file, and he doesn't offer that.

I like Tim DeWaele's work (www.tdwsport.com) and he is probably the best photog working in the sport of cycling. I have tried about four or five times to contact him via his site, as he directs you to, about buying image files or getting paid access to his files, and I never get a response.

I have tried, believe me.

cadence90
04-12-2007, 01:47 PM
I (PC) just email the page (not the link) to myself, then open the email and "Save As" on the photo.

BdaGhisallo
04-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Cadence90,

I just tried your suggestion and it didn't work. The same restriction popped up when I tried to save the image.

Geoff

cadence90
04-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Cadence90,

I just tried your suggestion and it didn't work. The same restriction popped up when I tried to save the image.

Geoff
Strange, it works fine for me.

For example:
1) I went to this page: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/roubaix06/index.php?id=s022
2) Tried to right-click on the photo. It is protected.
3) Moused off of the photo, went up to "Page" on my toolbar and then to "Send Page by Email".
4) Emailed entire page to myself.
5) Opened email, clicked on photo and "Saved As" to "My Pictures".
6) Uploaded photo to ImageShack.
7) Loaded photo onto this site.
8) It took about one minute, total.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/3339/s022to8.jpg

pale scotsman
04-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Hit the Print Screen button, when you are on the page with the photo, up by the Scroll Lock and Pause break button. Then open paint, word, photoshop, power point, or whatever and paste it in there. It'll copy the whole page so you'll have to crop out the photo and save it as you want. I use photoshop.

fierte_poser
04-12-2007, 02:14 PM
I use and like:

http://www.traction-software.co.uk/screengrabpro/

BdaGhisallo
04-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks all. I am all sorted now. The Print Screen trick does the job and Jeff was kind enough to send me some grabs before I got this figured out.

Thanks a bunch.
Geoff

Orin
04-13-2007, 02:39 AM
The true link to the picture is merely obfuscated. Cycling News must be crazy to think their scheme will stop anyone who wants to from grabbing the picture. All they've really done is link any kind of mouse click on the picture to that popup message.

There are ways of disabling the print screen function, but even that doesn't stop you using other methods of grabbing the screen contents.

Orin.

STRETCH
04-13-2007, 05:20 AM
Just drag the pic over to your desk top then it's all yours.
Or get Mozilla Firefox as your internet browser

BdaGhisallo
04-13-2007, 05:49 AM
Just drag the pic over to your desk top then it's all yours.

Damn! That was easy!!!

thanks,
Geoff

vandeda
04-13-2007, 06:01 AM
Cadence90,

Geoff

Geoff, when I have encountered this, it was merely some javascript coding. Turn off javascript and you should be able to save the image.

AgilisMerlin
04-13-2007, 06:08 AM
i am contacting the INTERNET POLICE

you are all now on the short' list.

be warned :no:

BdaGhisallo
04-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Geoff, when I have encountered this, it was merely some javascript coding. Turn off javascript and you should be able to save the image.

Now for the computer illiterate among us, how might this be done?

thanks,
Geoff