PDA

View Full Version : Campy/Shimano Question

Mud
04-12-2007, 11:20 AM
My wife uses Campy. I use Shimano. If I keep a spare wheelset which one will work with both. Thanx

Larry
04-12-2007, 11:25 AM
You need a cassette adapter as I recall. Not sure which wheel it fits on.
I am not sure it works all that great either.

Ken Robb
04-12-2007, 11:34 AM
some, if not all, of the aftermarket wheels accept both Campy and Shimano freehubs and they are easy to change. I have done it with Ksyriums and Spinergy.

Mud
04-12-2007, 11:38 AM
No changing anything. Will a Shimano wheel and cassette run on a campy bike or the reverse.

Serotta PETE
04-12-2007, 11:38 AM
I have done with Mavic quite often......just a different adapter which retails for around $60. I have also used a Shimano on a campy drive train and it worked "ok".

Suggestion would be to determine what type of wheel best meets your need and then try to see who will probably use it the most...THAT is the drive train you match. And as said above the Shimano will work with CAMPY in a pinch. (SPOKES does it quite often

stevep
04-12-2007, 12:41 PM
My wife uses Campy. I use Shimano. If I keep a spare wheelset which one will work with both. Thanx

i dont think campy 10 and shimano 10 are spaced identically.
so if i read your question... nothing will fit both without screwing with it.

easiest thing is to find a new wife who uses shimano.
might sound awkward, believe me ..you will simplify your life.

Larry
04-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Better yet...............

Have two wives.........one Campy.......one Shimano.

Then swap out your Shimano for Campy.

Then......you are back to square one!!!!!!!!!!

Too Tall
04-12-2007, 01:10 PM
These guys lie like sleeping dogs. xxoo bannana bannana

Try it.

Mud
04-13-2007, 07:25 AM
I just wanted to use the wheels on the trainer so I could cheap out and buy one tough wheel for the geared bikes if we wanted to use the geared bikes to ride at different times. Hard to trade in wife alfer almost 40 years. Besides, I have a wife who rides which is better than 95% of the forumites.

gt6267a
04-13-2007, 08:00 AM
you are making this way harder than it needs to be. instead of trying to get your wife to switch or fart around with wheel combos that work for both OR other options that just ain't gonna happen, why don't you switch to campy and be done with it?

Ken Robb
04-13-2007, 03:15 PM
I had a 10spd campy hub/cassette Ksyriums on my 10spd DuraAce bike for a while. I shifted ok but the chain got noisy when I was toward the extreme outside or inside cogs. DBRK swears he isn't bothered by this set-up but it bugged me enough to buy the proper freewheel and cassette. Then all was perfect.

thwart
04-13-2007, 11:17 PM
This is obviously something that different people have wildy varying experiences with... however I have had no problem whatsoever using Shimano 9 speed wheels on Campy 9 spd equipped bikes... absolutely interchangeable.

Haven't tried 10 spd yet, but a thread here a month or two ago suggested it works fairly well too.

stevep
04-14-2007, 06:16 AM
This is obviously something that different people have wildy varying experiences with... however I have had no problem whatsoever using Shimano 9 speed wheels on Campy 9 spd equipped bikes... absolutely interchangeable.

Haven't tried 10 spd yet, but a thread here a month or two ago suggested it works fairly well too.

9 is very close in spacing... to the point of interchangeability.
10 is not so close. not really interchangeable... semi only.

woolly
04-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Cassette adapters, switching from Campy to Shimano, switching from Shimano to Campy, switching wives, blah blah blah blah blah.

Buy two spare wheels & be done with it.

:D :beer:

Alexi
04-14-2007, 09:58 AM
well one set of shimano wheels, 2 cassettes one campy one shimano.

Mud
04-14-2007, 07:45 PM
nm

Thanx