PDA

View Full Version : Local Builders you would frequent...

William
04-12-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm just curious, how many local builders do you have in your area that you would consider purchasing a frame from?

Let's say in about a 100 mile radius from where you live. Off the top of my head, my radius includes:

Mike Zanconato - Zanconato Cycles

Some Richard Sachs guy. ;)

Chris Bull - Circle A Cycles

Peter Mooney

Indy Fab guys

Mike Flanigan - ANT

And, I'm pretty sure Serotta just falls outside my radius.

William

pale scotsman
04-12-2007, 08:38 AM
None, zero, nada, nyet. No builders anywhere near me.

rsl
04-12-2007, 08:42 AM
William,

My list is pretty similar:

1. Zanconato (I have one of his roadbikes)

2. Peter Mooney

3. ANT - I like that scorcher-style bike on the website!

4. IF - a steel crown jewel was my dream bike for years, and I still think IF is pretty cool, though there are a lot of other builders I'd consider before an IF.

5. Circle A - I'd like to see one in person. They have a few nice looking bikes on their website.

Bruce K
04-12-2007, 08:44 AM
William;

Is erichie really within 100 miles of you?

For me it's Zanconato, Mooney, ANT, and I guess IF and Seven, but I don't really put them in the same category.

100 miles from Cape Ann doesn't get me too many places. :rolleyes:

BK

atmo
04-12-2007, 08:49 AM
for me, it's pal peter at 4 miles.
i'd go to the drive thru...

ichie
the R is silent atmo

William
04-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Bruce,

I was guesstimating on RS proximity. Without consulting the map directly, I think he is. But I will need to confirm now that you've called me on it. ;)

rsl:

Chris makes some nice rigs. I've been in his shop a few times to check out the bling.

William

coylifut
04-12-2007, 09:05 AM
lemme see

Tony Peiria
Vanilla
CoMotion
Ira Ryan
Ti Cycles
Brain Marcroft

DeSalvo sits outside that range, but he's in the same state so I'll mention him

William
04-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Per "e"....

I think I can add Peter Weigle to my list. :cool:

William

sg8357
04-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Local Local, Franklin Frames, he also paints and does repairs.
Roark, Ti fab shop that does frames as a sideline.

Nearly local, Chris Kvale, Doug Fattic, Curt Goodrich.

Scott G.
Cincinnati, Ohio

Ginger
04-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Lets see...within a hundred miles?
Pino is gone. Assenmacher doesn't build anymore.

Scott Quiring
Scotty does a beautiful job on Ti...I can claim he's within 100 miles because he's buddies with a friend of mine and visits there often. :)

There's another gentleman on the other side of the state...name is escaping me. Musgravecycles is outside that radius. Slingshot guys are outside the radius too.

Serotta PETE
04-12-2007, 09:26 AM
SEROTTA and ANDREW!!!!! :D :D :D

michael white
04-12-2007, 09:27 AM
wilmington, nc

none.

catulle
04-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Let's see... The Connecticut River empties on the Atlantic and the Atlantic is some fifty miles away from me, but then the Atlantic crosses over to the Pacific by way of Teddy's will, and the Pacific is a few yards away from me; thus, I only have the Connecticut River knuckleheads to choose from. Ok, that's just fine with me. The answer is: Some ichie dude and Captain "Moto Guzzi" Weigle. I ain't picky.

Serotta_Andrew
04-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Serotta... only a few miles away!!

Too Tall
04-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Murder "Mary" my Pilates instructor.

Oh...you ment bike frames?

J.Greene
04-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Not anything in lightweights in Central FL. A friend builds high wheel bikes as victory cycles. I'm going to eventually get one as they are handmade pieces of art, every single piece is handmade in the old methods. www.victorybicycles.com.

JG

AgilisMerlin
04-12-2007, 09:32 AM
anybody know any builders in the Virginia ?

Serotta PETE
04-12-2007, 09:33 AM
You been hanging around Flydhest too much :cool: :cool: :cool: :) :)

Murder "Mary" my Pilates instructor.

Oh...you ment bike frames?

musgravecycles
04-12-2007, 09:39 AM
anybody know any builders in the Virginia ?

What part of VA?

AgilisMerlin
04-12-2007, 09:48 AM
i live outside of charlottesville, towards waynesboro, but am not limited in my travel within the state.

i have not heard of any builders in Virginia. I am friends with scott paisley (bluewheel), but think he has taken a sabbatical from his this work.

curious.

never came across a comment or info. within this state. anyone know ?

rdparadise
04-12-2007, 09:54 AM
We have:

H.H. Racing Group (Harry Havnoonian)
Bilenky, in beautiful north Philly;
Spectrum
Quetzal Bicycles, State College, PA. Never heard or seen one of their bikes. From the web page, it says does steel or ti, lugged, tig, mig or fillet brazed. Whopping one week wait time on build to order.

Of these, I would definitely recommend Tom Kellog of Spectrum or Steve Bilenky. They both build beautiful bikes. Bilenky, primarily in steel.

Bob

Len J
04-12-2007, 10:07 AM
We have:

H.H. Racing Group (Harry Havnoonian)
Bilenky, in beautiful north Philly;
Spectrum
Quetzal Bicycles, State College, PA. Never heard or seen one of their bikes. From the web page, it says does steel or ti, lugged, tig, mig or fillet brazed. Whopping one week wait time on build to order.

Of these, I would definitely recommend Tom Kellog of Spectrum or Steve Bilenky. They both build beautiful bikes. Bilenky, primarily in steel.

Bob

100 miles is too small a radius.......that's 1.5 hours by car......I've driven further for an LBS (of course some of that is due to necessity, The Eastern shore isn't exactly the Mecca of LBS's). I'm on the Eastern Shore of MD, so the Philly area crew is within 2 hours....I can get to Tom Kellog in 2.5 hours. I'd travel that to get fit by Tom. E-richie is a 5 hour ride......and that's with NYC traffic. and that ride was well worth the time with him for the fitting.

My point (if there is one) is that you are going to be on the bike for an extended period, what's a few hours in the car?

Len

sn69
04-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Bill Holland, Ves Mandaric and Russ Denny. Slightly further north, Jim Kish. Slightly further east, Andy Gilmour and David Bohm.

big shanty
04-12-2007, 10:27 AM
In Seattle....I'd consider Hampsten/Tournesol, Capital, Bill Davidson, Glenn Erickson. If you expand the radius, I'd consider Curtlo and most of the Portand builders (Sacha, Ira Ryan, Strawberry, Pereira, Ahearne)

J.Greene
04-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Bill Holland, Ves Mandaric and Russ Denny. Slightly further north, Jim Kish. Slightly further east, Andy Gilmour and David Bohm.

I'm surprised Brian Baylis is not on your short list.

JG

atmo
04-12-2007, 10:29 AM
:confused: :rolleyes: :cool:
:p ;) :D
:) ;) :no: I'm surprised Brian Baylis is not on your short list.

JG

Grant McLean
04-12-2007, 10:34 AM
:confused: :rolleyes: :cool:
:p ;) :D
:) ;) :no:

That's the great thing about short builders, they don't take up a lot of room
on the list.

:)

But, clearly I need a house in Portland and Chester...

g

bironi
04-12-2007, 10:50 AM
In Seattle....I'd consider Hampsten/Tournesol, Capital, Bill Davidson, Glenn Erickson. If you expand the radius, I'd consider Curtlo and most of the Portand builders (Sacha, Ira Ryan, Strawberry, Pereira, Ahearne)

Bill Stevenson is 5 miles away in Olympia, WA. He stays under the radar, but does work that matches other masters.

William
04-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Bill Stevenson is 5 miles away in Olympia, WA. He stays under the radar, but does work that matches other masters.

Isn't there another guy down around the Oly area. Town starts with an "S"? I can picture his pamphlet in my head but I can't think of the name.

William

musgravecycles
04-12-2007, 10:55 AM
i live outside of charlottesville, towards waynesboro...

Have we met before? I grew up in Montebello up on the Parkway. I did a bunch of rides with a club in Waynesboro last time I was there, which was several years ago (mebe 5?)

Anyway I was going to mention Scott. There's also a guy up in Harrisonburg (I think his name is Les) who wanted to start a framebuilding school. I've never been to his shop and don't know if he ever got it off the ground, but he used to work at Rockfish Gap Outfitters on Afton Mt many moons ago. He's one of the best wrenches that I've ever met...

rpm
04-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Within easy riding distance for me--Curt Goodrich, Chris Kvale, Bob Brown, Dave Anderson. Too bad I don't have more money, garage space, and time to ride!

shinomaster
04-12-2007, 11:08 AM
For some reason I just can't think of any in Portland... ;)

bironi
04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Isn't there another guy down around the Oly area. Town starts with an "S"? I can picture his pamphlet in my head but I can't think of the name.

William

Town of Shelton? I'll ask Bill Stevenson if he knows of any other local builders.

fierte_poser
04-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Black Sheep
Primus Mootry
Ericksen
Moots (but not my bag)

sn69
04-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I've never cared for the bikes he shows. Neither the colors nor the shapes appeal to me.

William
04-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Town of Shelton? I'll ask Bill Stevenson if he knows of any other local builders.

I may actually be thinking of Bill Stevenson. Either I'm confused on the Shelton part, or maybe he lived there before Olympia? Not sure.

William

pdonk
04-12-2007, 11:33 AM
But, clearly I need a house in Portland and Chester...

g

What about a mariposa or maybe a true north?

big shanty
04-12-2007, 12:04 PM
There was somebody at NAHBS from Tumwater, WA.....and his name wasn't Stevenson.

big shanty
04-12-2007, 12:11 PM
It's Coho Cycles....some dude named Charles Lathe (sp?).

72gmc
04-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Correct on Coho. The only bike I've seen pictures of is his own, and known as the Red Randonneuse, I believe.

I already frequent Bill Davidson. I would like to frequent Hampsten/Tournesol and I'd like to know more about Capital Cycles. Ti Cycles is right up the trail but their frames have never really "done it" for me...

Any of you Oregonians have any experience with Jeff Lyon? I've seen his (outdated?) site and at least twice I've seen Seattleites on his frames. Seems like nice work, but is he still doing it?

victoryfactory
04-12-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm just curious, how many local builders do you have in your area that you would consider purchasing a frame from?

Let's say in about a 100 mile radius from where you live. Off the top of my head, my radius includes:

Peter Mooney
Indy Fab guys
Mike Flanigan - ANT

William

William;

Isn't Parlee Cycles located in Peabody, MA?

VF

erikbrooks
04-12-2007, 01:20 PM
"Any of you Oregonians have any experience with Jeff Lyon? I've seen his (outdated?) site and at least twice I've seen Seattleites on his frames. Seems like nice work, but is he still doing it?"

I dropped in on the seattle bike expo a few weeks back, and Jeff had a booth there with some nice frames.

OTOH, a year ago I bought a cross bike from a local shop that was listed as a Lyon dealer. I asked about those frames, and they told me that Jeff spends most of his time with his fishing business. The LBS no longer lists Lyon among the lines they carry.

grey poupon
04-12-2007, 02:12 PM

goonster
04-12-2007, 02:19 PM
What about a mariposa

Exactly. Having Mike Barry in your town is not too shabby.

I think a local builder would be someone you could go see on a weekday without taking a full day off work. For me, that's pretty much nobody. Peter Dreesens moved out of Schwenksville and Joe Williams is retired (again, last I heard). That leaves Kellogg/Duser, Bilenky/Firth & Co. and the relocated Dreesens (who may not be known nationally, or have a fancy website, but is a good soul nonetheless) within a two-hour drive.

eddief
04-12-2007, 02:41 PM
steve rex
eisentraut
litton
mikkelsen
potts
sycip
soulcraft
ibis
inglis

bozman
04-12-2007, 03:11 PM
DEAN
Nobilette
Anvil
Primus Mootry
Black Sheep
Gangl

If we stretch to 200 miles I can add Moots and Kent Eriksen

chrisroph
04-12-2007, 03:22 PM
lemme see

Tony Peiria
Vanilla
CoMotion
Ira Ryan
Ti Cycles
Brain Marcroft

DeSalvo sits outside that range, but he's in the same state so I'll mention him

Some of these are beyond 100 so I will mention slawta/landshark in southern oregon as well.

coylifut
04-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Some of these are beyond 100 so I will mention slawta/landshark in southern oregon as well.

besides DeSalvo, which ones?

David Kirk
04-12-2007, 04:20 PM
About 8 miles away I have the one and only Carl Strong. After that it's many hundreds.

In the middle of no-where but with high speed internet Dave.

Waldo
04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
steve rex
eisentraut
litton
mikkelsen
potts
sycip
soulcraft
ibis
inglis

And don't forget Bruce Gordon, SoloVelo, Brent Steelman, Rock Lobster and the rest of Santa Cruz gang, and god knows who else in and around the Bay Area?

scrooge
04-12-2007, 05:21 PM
DEAN
Nobilette
Anvil
Primus Mootry
Black Sheep
Gangl

If we stretch to 200 miles I can add Moots and Kent Eriksen

I'd add Waltworks and Zinn to that list.

big shanty
04-12-2007, 05:40 PM

AgilisMerlin
04-12-2007, 06:02 PM
been here 6 years. Lived in Gordonsville, before moving to Crozet last year.

Got a young kid working as main wrench at Rockfish Gap now.

never rode with that crew out of waynesboro. Just ride with the university group in charlottesville, and with the group out of cvillebikeandtri (used to be known as extreme sports.)

Have we met before? I grew up in Montebello up on the Parkway. I did a bunch of rides with a club in Waynesboro last time I was there, which was several years ago (mebe 5?)

Anyway I was going to mention Scott. There's also a guy up in Harrisonburg (I think his name is Les) who wanted to start a framebuilding school. I've never been to his shop and don't know if he ever got it off the ground, but he used to work at Rockfish Gap Outfitters on Afton Mt many moons ago. He's one of the best wrenches that I've ever met...

davyt
04-12-2007, 07:50 PM
And don't forget Bruce Gordon, SoloVelo, Brent Steelman, Rock Lobster and the rest of Santa Cruz gang, and god knows who else in and around the Bay Area?

Rivendell is in Walnut Creek (although their builders are elsewhere). And Craig Calfee is not too far away from me in La Selva Beach.
--
Davy

P.S. I was going to mention Specialized in Morgan Hill but after this (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=27922) thread, I don't dare! :)

weisan
04-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Crumpton (http://www.crumptoncycles.com/contact.html).

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/408485342_68401111ff.jpg?v=
(Caption: Nick Crumpton and the engineers of Edge Composites)

Back in my previous job, Nick's home/shop is just a few blocks away. I knocked on his door a few times while I was out doing a lunch ride. I have to tell ya, what a holy mess inside! You really don't want to know how your Ultra-Crumpton-Creations were made...it's kinda like sausage-making :eek:
Just kiddin'...

Now that I think of it, I contributed in part to the clutter by leaving behind some extra trash in the form of a prototype D-I-Y carbon frame I got off from eBay long time ago. Apparently, it's still there. Nick sent me a PM recently. He won't throw it away without first asking for my permission, what a guy! :D

Hey Nick-pal, if you are listenin', do me a favor, would'ya?...get rid of it to make room for the custom carbon beauty ordered by your customers. Don't bother to wait for me...

I was really just kiddin' about the "mess"...when in fact, it's like a biker's dream-workshop -- the kind of place I would like to hang around for days on end...too bad now that I am working much further away and can't visit as often as before.

That's another builder in town that I have heard but never had the chance to get acquainted...Moyers (http://www.moyercycles.com/), I think. The first time I saw a Moyer was a simple, minimalistic but elegantly built fixed gear parked outside a bookstore. I didn't know it was an Austin-based builder at that time.

http://www.moyercycles.com/xa.jpg

And then, there's Hujsak Bicycles (http://www.sandsmachine.com/bp_hsk.htm) out in Wimberly, Texas. Don't know much about him but did give him a call one time to ask about retrofitting S&S couplers on the Legend. ;)

I think that's it...er...does welding a couple of steel pipes in my garage make me a builder? :rolleyes: :p

inGobwetrust
04-12-2007, 08:47 PM

Peter Mooney

Indy Fab guys

Mike Flanigan - ANT

William

For me it would be these guys plus Ted Wojcik, Seven, and Hot Tubes. There's also this guy I met at Belmont Wheelworks (he works in the shop there as well as building frames) that builds frames under the name "Star" that had some pretty nice looking frames. I can't remember his name and can't find anything on the net about him either. Do any of you Boston area guys know of him?

Serotta_Andrew
04-12-2007, 10:31 PM
For me it would be these guys plus Ted Wojcik, Seven, and Hot Tubes. There's also this guy I met at Belmont Wheelworks (he works in the shop there as well as building frames) that builds frames under the name "Star" that had some pretty nice looking frames. I can't remember his name and can't find anything on the net about him either. Do any of you Boston area guys know of him?

You are talking about Evan.

CNote
04-12-2007, 10:50 PM
I'd like to know more about Capital Cycles.

It ain't easy. I searched, pillaged, AND plundered the internet, and this is all I can find...

DarrenCT
04-12-2007, 11:07 PM
sachs

zank

IF

serotta

parlee

jp w

i dunno who else but thats a pretty good list :)

shinomaster
04-12-2007, 11:18 PM
http://www.bobvila.com/

Elefantino
04-13-2007, 01:34 AM
I'd move to Montana.

m_moses
04-13-2007, 02:32 AM
The only framebuilder that I've heard of in the Houston area is Hans Schneider. I don't know much about him but I've seen a few examples of his work and have noticed some interesting details.

Weisan-pal, that Moyer is sweet! :beer:

dave thompson
04-13-2007, 04:18 AM
Only two around here:

Alpine Design in Sandpoint Idaho
and the other:
Hairy Gary here in Spokane.

William
04-13-2007, 06:27 AM
This is quite the list we have going on here of "local" builders. Next I'll try to get them organized by region when I have some time.

William

Mike Zanconato
Richard Sachs
Peter Mooney
Indy Fab guys
Mike Flanigan - ANT
Tony Peiria
Vanilla
CoMotion
Ira Ryan
Ti Cycles
Brain Marcroft
DeSalvo
P. Weigle
Franklin Frames
Roark
Chris Kvale
Doug Fattic
Curt Goodrich.
Scott Quiring
Serotta
Harry Havnoonian
Bilenky
Spectrum
Quetzal Bicycles
Bill Holland
Ves Mandaric
Russ Denny
Jim Kish.
Andy Gilmour
David Bohm.
Hampsten/Tournesol
Capital
Bill Davidson
Glenn Erickson.
Curtlo
Ira Ryan
Strawberry
Pereira
Ahearne
Brian Baylis
Bill Stevenson
Bob Brown
Dave Anderson
Black Sheep
Primus Mootry
Ericksen
Moots
mariposa
Coho Cycles
Jeff Lyon
Parlee Cycles
steve rex
eisentraut
litton
mikkelsen
potts
sycip
soulcraft
ibis
inglis
DEAN
Nobilette
Anvil
Gangl
Kent Eriksen
slawta/landshark
Carl Strong
David Kirk
Bruce Gordon
SoloVelo
Brent Steelman
Rock Lobster
Waltworks
Zinn
Rivendell
Craig Calfee
Nick Crumpton
Moyer
Hujsak Bicycles
Ted Wojcik
Seven
Hot Tubes
Hans Schneider
Alpine Design
Hairy Gary

Vancouverdave
04-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Somebody looking for Jeff Lyon? Just phone him, 541-476-7092.

Jeff N.
04-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Bill Holland. The Master. Almost next door. Joe Bell too. I consider myself....what was that Lou Gehrig said? Jeff N.

ss-jimbo
04-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Not anything in lightweights in Central FL. A friend builds high wheel bikes as victory cycles. I'm going to eventually get one as they are handmade pieces of art, every single piece is handmade in the old methods. www.victorybicycles.com.

JG

How about Villin Cycle Works. Google 'em up. Gainesville's right at 100 miles.

ss-jimbo
04-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Only two around here:

Alpine Design in Sandpoint Idaho
and the other:
Hairy Gary here in Spokane.

Matt Chester is in Sandpoint also, but whether he actually builds any frames is questionable.

cuda2k
04-13-2007, 03:50 PM
David Cheakas (Southwest Frameworks) is the closest I know in the Dallas area. There are a few more builders in the Austin area that do some very nice work who's names escape me right now.

There was a breakdown of builders by state that were at the NAHBS on their website that might help as well.

big shanty
04-13-2007, 04:22 PM
If I still lived in podunk northern PA, I'd get an Oswald.

cadence90
04-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Go-to guy: Jim Kish
Local: Greg Townsend
South of me: Bill Holland; Ves Mandaric; Russ Denny; Dave Moulton; David Ybarolla
North of me: All the Bay Area/Santa Cruz/Sacramento folks already listed
For a nice drive: Roland Della Santa
In Italy: Pinarello, Scapin, Pegoretti

William
04-08-2008, 06:46 PM
K. Bedford Customs = The Illustrious Kelly Bedford

What about Vendetta? :cool:

And how could I forget Koichi Yamaguchi?!?!? :crap:

William

e-RICHIE
04-08-2008, 06:51 PM

What about Vendetta? :cool:

And how could I forget Koichi Yamaguchi?!?!? :crap:

William
that's 90% atmo.
hey - just kidding.

shanerpvt
04-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Crumpton (http://www.crumptoncycles.com/contact.html).

Back in my previous job, Nick's home/shop is just a few blocks away. I knocked on his door a few times while I was out doing a lunch ride. I have to tell ya, what a holy mess inside! You really don't want to know how your Ultra-Crumpton-Creations were made...it's kinda like sausage-making :eek:
Just kiddin'...

That's another builder in town that I have heard but never had the chance to get acquainted...Moyers (http://www.moyercycles.com/), I think. The first time I saw a Moyer was a simple, minimalistic but elegantly built fixed gear parked outside a bookstore. I didn't know it was an Austin-based builder at that time.

And then, there's Hujsak Bicycles (http://www.sandsmachine.com/bp_hsk.htm) out in Wimberly, Texas. Don't know much about him but did give him a call one time to ask about retrofitting S&S couplers on the Legend. ;)

Don't forget about the Mt. Bike sector:

Willits
http://www.willitsbikes.com/Willits.html

True Fab
http://www.truefabricationbicycles.com/

:beer:
shaner

WickedWheels
04-08-2008, 10:33 PM

Peter Mooney

Indy Fab guys

Mike Flanigan - ANT

William

You forgot a bunch of others...

Igleheart
Hot Tubes
Geek House
Wojick
Parlee

William
04-09-2008, 05:15 AM
You forgot a bunch of others...

Igleheart
Hot Tubes
Geek House
Wojick
Parlee

Doh!!! :crap:

William

Sandy
04-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Interesting and completely innocent thread. Lots of great builders. Probably would have added Spectrum myself if I knew how far Spectrum is from where I live in MD. Appears that we are headed for a listing of builders. Wonder a little about doing that because a few are direct competitors of Serotta, the totality of bikes produced by the aforementioned builders is way in excess of what Serotta produces, Ben's recent post to us, and it is being done on Serotta's Forum. Perhaps not the place to do it.

Sandy

William
04-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Interesting and completely innocent thread. Lots of great builders. Probably would have added Spectrum myself if I knew how far Spectrum is from where I live in MD. Appears that we are headed for a listing of builders. Wonder a little about doing that because a few are direct competitors of Serotta, the totality of bikes produced by the aforementioned builders is way in excess of what Serotta produces, Ben's recent post to us, and it is being done on Serotta's Forum. Perhaps not the place to do it.

Sandy

Oh, that's been covered already Sandy.

William

97CSI
04-09-2008, 07:49 AM
- HHRG (Harry Havnoonian Racing Group) is building my touring bike as I type (I hope he's up and at 'em, but its early and one doesn't dictate to artists).
- Bilinkey is also in Philadelphia.
- Spectrum is up the road near the Trexlertown Velodrome.

Pete Serotta
04-09-2008, 07:50 AM
SEROTTA in Saratoga

BEDFORD CUSTOM in SARATOGA
:D :D

znfdl
04-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Not Local, but Spectrum.

Fixed
04-09-2008, 08:06 AM
as close as the webb
cheers

R2D2
04-09-2008, 08:16 AM
It's Coho Cycles....some dude named Charles Lathe (sp?).

We've been lucky to have Chuck Lathe relocate to NC.
While not ornate his builds are meticulous and practical and very economical.
He actually settled in the revered area of McLean Fonvielle.

rphetteplace
04-09-2008, 08:29 AM
my local to 100?

Dave Wages
Jonny Cycles
Waterford
some place called Trek
ZR Cycles
Zanc will be moving here soon!

Wisconsin is the new Portland!

Ahneida Ride
04-09-2008, 08:50 AM
For me ... SEROTTA .... Just up the road ...

if52
04-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Rody Walters at Groovy Cyclework in Wooster Ohio. That's about all that is near me and fortunately he does beautiful work.

Vancouverdave
04-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Correct on Coho. The only bike I've seen pictures of is his own, and known as the Red Randonneuse, I believe.

I already frequent Bill Davidson. I would like to frequent Hampsten/Tournesol and I'd like to know more about Capital Cycles. Ti Cycles is right up the trail but their frames have never really "done it" for me...

Any of you Oregonians have any experience with Jeff Lyon? I've seen his (outdated?) site and at least twice I've seen Seattleites on his frames. Seems like nice work, but is he still doing it?
Jeff is still very much in the frame business, and his email and phone on the website are current.

Vancouverdave
04-09-2008, 10:12 AM
We've been lucky to have Chuck Lathe relocate to NC.
While not ornate his builds are meticulous and practical and very economical.
He actually settled in the revered area of McLean Fonvielle.
With the name "Chuck Lathe," he'd better be a great machinist!

castafly
04-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Roland Della Santa Della Santa (http://www.dellasanta.com/)

Paul Taylor Taylor Bikes (http://taylorbicycles.com/index.php)

R2D2
04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
With the name "Chuck Lathe," he'd better be a great machinist!

HAHAHAA

Actualy uses snips and files.
Real seat stay caps and no plugs.
Real old school handmade frames.

Ahneida Ride
04-09-2008, 12:24 PM
William

The Master Himself.

Big Daddy
04-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Up and over a bit. (http://www.kenteriksen.com/)

Fixed
04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
bro lucky i don't live near I'd ride over all the time and bug them to death
cheers imho

ox_rider
04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Waterford
Dave Wages
Jonny Cycles
ZR Cycles

And, if I am not mistaken, the upper midwest gets Zank (though not as a builder) for the next year or so

Waldo
04-10-2008, 01:19 AM
steve rex
eisentraut
litton
mikkelsen
potts
sycip
soulcraft
ibis
inglis

And Bruce Gordon (Petaluma), El Camino Cycles (Emeryville), Peter Johnson (Portola Valley), Calfee (Santa Cruz), Steelman (Redwood City), Broakland (Oakland), Leopard (San Carlos) and who knows how many others.

IXXI
04-10-2008, 01:27 AM
...don't forget the new guys...Signal Cycles (http://www.signalcycles.com/bikes.htm)... Courage (http://ridecourage.com/index.htm)... Vertigo (http://www.vertigocycles.com/index.html) ... and no doubt still others that are even newer than new. I'd go to Coat (http://bikeportland.org/2007/12/17/vanilla-bicycles-founder-gets-into-the-paint-business/) for the eye candy.

William
04-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Who was they guy that had a shop set up over by American Dream Pizza? I know he outfitted a few teams back in the late 90's.

William

manet
04-10-2008, 07:42 AM
what about coffee and rest rooms

WadePatton
04-10-2008, 07:45 AM
I would frequent them all if there were any. there ain't. see ya at indy.

e-RICHIE
04-10-2008, 07:48 AM
you guys crack me up atmo.

you want a local builder - go to the juice bar heremo (http://www.zenvilla.net/).
that's where all the enlightened cats and kittens hang.

texbike
04-10-2008, 09:27 AM
To build on the 3 listed by Weisan (Crumpton, Moyer, and Hujsak), we shouldn't forget Wes Williams at Willit's Bikes (www.willitsbikes.com). Wes puts together some extremely nice bikes and is located in lovely South Austin.

I'd also like to second Hans Schneider of Huntsville, Texas. Incredibly nice guy and a great builder!

Texbike

rasterdogs
04-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Though further than 100 miles I'd add:

Columbine Cycle Works
Mendocino CA.

-JimD