PDA

View Full Version : OT: Photo sharing websites

Keith A
04-11-2007, 04:06 PM
I wanted to see if my Serotta pals have any experience with some of the photo sharing websites. There are a number of them out there and was hoping to narrow my search based on your feedback.

What I do need is the ability to only allow those that I want to view the photos to have access to them. Flickr.com seems to do everything that I want, but you have to create a Yahoo ID in order to create a free Flickr account. This isn't a huge deal, but their sign up does want more info when creating the account than Photobucket does. BTW, I'm fine with paying a yearly fee to open up the bandwidth and photo size.

Got any input?

Ginger
04-11-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm about to upgrade my photobucket account because when you load larger photos, it degrades them to fit... :(

I'd like to find one was decent, lockable, but still allowed large file sizes and user comment.

big shanty
04-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Go with Flickr.....it has the following advantages:

1) user-friendly for you...especially if you download the Flickr uploader, makes uploading photos very fast.

2) user-friendly for those viewing your photos, no sign-in necessary...you can just email the web address.

3) You can purchase prints if you like (although not on Kodak paper, as far as I know....one of the few advantages to Kodak Gallery).

4) There is a critical mass of people on Flickr, which will make finding a mistress a breeze.

atmo
04-11-2007, 04:31 PM
does anyone know or recall hearing about
yahoo pics being a mouse click from sharing
pics on flickr? or am i imagining/wishing it?

ichie
the R is silent atmo

grey poupon
04-11-2007, 04:44 PM

Keith A
04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Ginger -- One thing that was better about Flickr was their max image size was 10MB compared to Photobucket's 2MB (I think I have the numbers correct) and this is with each of their pay services.

grey poupon -- Thanks for the input. However, I do want to restrict access to the images which is accomplished via Flickr's invitation option and so building my own site would require me to implement something similar. Flickr was great except for the requirement to create a Yahoo ID.

Lincoln
04-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Check out Smugmug (http://www.smugmug.com) My dad signed up with them last year and has been happy. It's not free, but it is cheap (~$40/yr?). Unlimited storage, multiple bandwidth options for the viewers and no registration for your visitors. You can have open access or password restricted (or a mix).

christian
04-11-2007, 07:28 PM
My wife uses flickr. She really likes it.

fhernandez1960
04-11-2007, 08:06 PM
I second smugmug. Photography is my other passion and their services are outstanding. Plus you do not need to create an account to access a person's galleries and / or to purchase any images. The site is used by a large number of professional photogs. The service is not cheap but for the quality of the presentation, printing services and web content, it is def worth it. Poweruser 60/yr, professional users $150.

francis

Keith A
04-12-2007, 08:45 AM
I looked at smugmug this morning and it looks good. You can set a password for a gallery or the entire site and it doesn't require you to create an account to view the photos -- you just have to have the password if one is set.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Korn Julio
04-12-2007, 07:02 PM
I HIGHLY recommend: http://www.pbase.com/

The six best things about it are:

- NO ADS!
- Photos scalable to 4 sizes.
- NO ADS!
- Easy user interface.
- NO ADS!
- No registration required to view photos.

Here's the pricing page: http://www.pbase.com/pricing.html

weisan
04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
btw, what about something like this (http://www.vendettacycles.com/vendettacycles/gallery/nahbs2007/index2.html)? just getting some space on a server and using some freeware 'gallery' software. then you can get rid of EVERYTHING, registration, nags, banners, popups, everything.

poupon-pal, where might one find this freeware gallery software? i find it rather cool. Thank you.

grey poupon
04-13-2007, 08:28 AM

Keith A
04-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Just wanted to follow up with my decision. I went with SmugMug and am really pleased with this one. It does exactly what I wanted with being able to protect pictures from the general public with just a password instead of the viewers having to create an account. You can easily create your URL to directly access your photos and it is super easy to use and upload pictures and the upload and download speeds have been great.

Thanks for the recommendation -- and Ginger you should check this one out.

grey poupon
04-17-2007, 12:29 PM