PDA

View Full Version : What year Atlanta?

WBear
06-05-2004, 01:04 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a Serotta Atlanta which the seller believes is a 1999 model. However the components are Shimano 600 rather than Ultegra or Ultegra 600. I am concerned that this bike is actually older than 1999. Can anyone help me in determining the vintage of this bike?

victoryfactory
06-05-2004, 02:19 PM
You can't tell by the components. I switch parts on my bikes all
the time.
Get the serial number off the under side of the bottom bracket and call
Serotta. They can tell you what year the frame was made.
VF

Nemo
06-05-2004, 02:31 PM
The 1999 Serotta catalogue provides plenty of clues. The 1999 model Atlanta is described as 'so new they could have changed its name'. Specifically listed as 'new for 1999' are:

Tubing - Colorado 3 Series double and triple butted and swaged tubeset.

Cable route - Cast-in-the-lug cable fittings

It is not unambiguously clear whether the 1999 Atlanta would have a C3S tubing sticker (rather than, say, CC (Colorado Concept) or CCL (CC 'light'?)) - I can't tell from the photo in the catalogue. But it most probably would not have a Reynolds 853 or similar tubeset manufacturer's sticker. The stock Atlanta would certainly have head tube mounted cable guides rather than down tube mounted shifter bosses.

Finally, the stock finishes offered for 1999 were azure blue to frost white fade with yellow/black decals, and emerald green to frost white fade with charcoal/titanium decals. Of course the bike could have been ordered with a different finish.

So an Atlanta with head-tube mounted shifter bosses would certainly be a 1999 or later model. Bearing one of the stock finishes for 1999 would be strong additional evidence. If the bike has a C3S sticker (unclear from what information I have) that woud be further confirmation.

A custom-ordered 1999 Atlanta could have differed from the stock model in various ways - such as, conceivably, retaining down tube mounted shifter bosses instead of head tube cable guides, not to mention colour.

To put the issue beyond doubt, get the serial number and call Serotta to find out the bike's model year and date of manufacture - I have invariably found them very helpful with such enquiries.

shinomaster
06-05-2004, 03:03 PM
I got mine in 99 and it came with a carbon fork..

dave thompson
06-05-2004, 03:05 PM
The serial number and a phone call to Serotta are the only sure way to tell the date of manufacture of your Atlanta. Color or where cable guides are located are not. They came in 15 stock colors.

Serotta sold the frames and components were installed by dealers or owners, very seldom by Serotta.

Atlantas are wonderful bikes, and the fact that the one that your looking at may not be a '99 model doesn't diminish its' value much at all.

colodale
06-05-2004, 03:44 PM
I bought my Atlanta in '99, picking it up in mid July. I have the C3S sticker on the seat tube and head tube cable mounts. The last 4 digits of my serial number are 1960, so anything higher than that should have been built after mine I would assume. It also came with the Icon carbon fork, thou the F1 was an option at that time.