PDA

View Full Version : Open Pro Mileage????

dirtdigger88
06-04-2004, 06:15 PM
How many mile have people gotten on them before you felt it was time to replace them assuming they were still true. I assume that the breaking surface has a liminted lifespan :confused: My OP CD's have almost all of the coating down to silver where the pads hit. I am guessing I am getting up to around 8 thousand miles on them now. . .are they still safe?

Jason

bcm119
06-04-2004, 07:08 PM
I got about 12k on a pair before retiring the rear (I weigh 165). The front is still fine. The rear has a flat spot with a slight bulge on either side. If they have no noticeable defects yet, ride em. Its unlikely that they would catastrophically fail without any hints first.

froze
06-04-2004, 11:54 PM
I don't have Open Pro's but I do have the Torelli Master Series rims which are similar and I now have over 35,000 miles on the rims and spokes. The spokes are DT Revolution on the front and DT Competition on the rear and I weigh 163. My rims before these were Mavic (can't remember the model) and those had about 25,000 miles on them before a hit a very rough railroad track cracking both rims. Before that I had a set of Wolber tubular rims and I got about 30,000 miles on those before replacing with clincher set up. Those Wolber rims were still good but ended up giving them to a friend when I moved about 6 months ago.

I do keep the rims trued but with 36 spoke rims they rarely go out of true even slightly. Maybe the reason mine last so long is due to the 36 hole set up?

Tony Edwards
06-05-2004, 12:32 AM
They won't fail catastrophically. In my experience the braking surfaces will eventually wear to the point that they start to crack, then collapse, but none of this will happen instantly. In my dirt-poor college days, I rode a set of mountain rims several hundred miles after the rear was noticeably cracked from brake wear. I don't recommend that, but so long as you replace them once they start to collapse, you'll be fine.

froze
06-05-2004, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=Tony Edwards]QUOTE]

Yes, but Dolphins invented Sonar long before we did.

Orin
06-05-2004, 11:34 PM
My rear Open Pro started cracking around the eyelets... Plenty of metal on the braking surface since I hardly use the rear brake.

It gave plenty of warning by creaking when I pushed hard or got out of the saddle. Took forever to find the source of that creak though.

Orin.

shinomaster
06-05-2004, 11:38 PM
that grey stuff was just a surface tratment ,its not the aluminum. You should be fine for a while longer.