PDA

View Full Version : Kerry's "$5,000 bicycle" shows up on Kerryopoly game (linky)...

bulliedawg
06-04-2004, 02:46 PM
http://www.gop.com/kerryopoly/manual.asp?Movement=3&UID=0

I find it strange that the Bush campaign is pointing to Kerry as someone born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and that his $5,000 bike is one of the details they use to illustrate their point. It's not exactly like GWB was "born a poor black child" like Navin R. Johnson.

Burnadette Peters was so HOT in that movie.

Kevin
06-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Very "Bush" league. I am suprised that he could spell bicycle.

Kevin

vaxn8r
06-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Where can you get a fully loaded Ottrott for $1,800-$5,000?

Ozz
06-04-2004, 03:26 PM
I like the comment about his boat:

What: Drive his Boat
Cost: $700,000
About: Kerry's 42-Foot Powerboat Is Called The Scaramouche, "Named After His Favorite Boyhood Movie, An Old Tale Of A French Swashbuckler."

As if to imply that French pirates are worse than English or American ones...

gt6267a
06-04-2004, 03:46 PM
maybe i have ignored politics for too long, but the grade-school level of maturity surprises me. this is really sad.

alembical
06-04-2004, 03:47 PM
I like that you when you click on "Source" for the Serotta, it says "(Howie Carr, "Kerry Family's Deep Pockets On Display This Election Cycle," The Boston Herald, 4/30/04" and you find out the "source" for the cost of a serotta is not the MRP, price from a catalog, bike shop, etc... but rather just what some Boston Herald writer had said.

Alembical

gdw
06-04-2004, 03:50 PM
why shouldn't the Republicans point out the fact that Kerry is another rich ol Ivy leager? He's a professional politician who married well and has a lifestyle far removed from the people he wants to represent. He paid more for his Serottas than a good percentage of his followers spent on their cars. :banana:

TimD
06-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Actually, they spelled 'bicycle' incorrectly! ('Bicycyle')

TimD

oracle
06-04-2004, 03:52 PM
find me a national level polititian who is also a pauper and i'll buy you a new car.

oracle

alembical
06-04-2004, 03:52 PM
That is great Tim, I did not even catch that.

Alembical

oracle
06-04-2004, 03:54 PM
lol dan quayle couldn't spell either.

p-o-t-a-t-o-e potato. no i'm sorry, that is incorrect.

oracle

alembical
06-04-2004, 03:56 PM
GDW, I think the issue it that it is like the old "pot calling the kettle black" thing. I think that there are legitimate criticisms that each party can make on the other, but I think those deal with the issues. To hear Bush, albeit indirectly, criticize another candidate because of their money, it disgust me. If you are a republican supporter (not saying you are, cause I have no idea, or care) dont you think that the game should criticize the issues?

Alembical

gdw
06-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Alembical,
I'm a registered independent who really is disgusted with both parties and their candidates. I find the game amusing in that the Democrats love to portray the Republicans as being the party of the rich and priviledged but their candidate is more of the same.

Oracle,
We don't need a Huffy riding pauper in the white house but it would be nice to see a self made man running instead of the two we have to choose from.

oracle
06-04-2004, 04:17 PM
indeed

jeffg
06-04-2004, 04:26 PM
is two candidates from different classes at Yale! LOL :butt:

BumbleBeeDave
06-04-2004, 05:08 PM
. . . from either party any more. My main reaction is to wonder if they paid for reproducing that Associated Press photo of Kerry on his bike. I would wager they did not.

BBDave

SBash
06-04-2004, 06:44 PM
"There's this huge controversy over the fact that President Bush apparently received credit for National Guard service in Alabama in '72 and '73 even though his commanding officers are saying he never reported. I think what's even more disturbing is that he received enough credits to graduate from Yale." —Jay Leno

Not really funny though. What is funny is what Daddy and big bucks can do.

MartyE
06-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Of course no one has made mention of the Trek that
Lance gave to GW after winning 5th TdF (or was it after 4th?).
So, how much do you think a real, honest to god, USPS Trek 5200
be worth? more than $5k I'd wager.
For me personally Politics has become a necessary evil that I
prefer not to discuss on cycling forums where I come to get
away from crap like that.

Marty

BumbleBeeDave
06-04-2004, 08:25 PM
. . . are governed by several laws. See the link below for a fairly complete explanation of the law and its effects.

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/resource/handout/Gifts.htm

Here is a copy of a law introduced last year that updates the inventory and disposition of gifts to the President. This law was referred to committee and I do not know its current status, not do I have information on how long any law is normally “in committee.”.

http://www.theorator.com/bills108/hr1623.html

I have no doubt that GWB has adequate personal funds to go out and buy his own mountain bike. I also have no doubt that Kerry has the same adequate resources. If any of his bikes were a gift, then I would imagine that various laws governing campaign contributions might apply, especially if the bike could be construed as being an aid to the campaign--for instance, having Kerry’s name and campaign motto painted on it.

Both candidates are independently wealthy. Indeed, our system has evolved to the point where that is virtually a requirement for candidacy. While the Republican site is indeed pretty tacky and poorly researched, I have no doubt that if the Democratic National Committee thought that such a site about GWB would aid their cause, then they would (or already do) have one up and running quickly.

BBDave

bulliedawg
06-04-2004, 09:28 PM
I'm offended that the republicans are giving someone a hard time for being rich. Republicans are supposed to be about GETTING RICH ANY WAY YOU CAN. That's why I love the R party.

In fact, I was quite offended when they accused Richard Clark of simply trying to maximize his book profits with the timing of his disclosures. I mean, since when are the Rs against a man making as much money as the market will allow? Hypocrites!

The following is the Ds response to the Rs accusations against Kerry.

The DNC e-mailed the following statement this week:

"Yesterday the Republican National Committee, chaired by Ed Gillespie (whose lobbying firm collected at least $27 million from corporate clients like Enron in the two years before he became RNC chair), unveiled a new internet game poking fun at the personal finances of John Kerry.

"It is unclear whether the campaign of George Walker Bush (son of U.S. President George Herbert Walker Bush and grandson of Connecticut Senator Prescott Sheldon Bush) and Dick Cheney (worth between $24 million - $107 million; former Chairman and CEO of Halliburton who received a $20 million retirement package to run for vice president) has endorsed this line of attack. Bush (a CT-born Yankee who summered in Kennebunkport, Maine, and attended the Kinkaid school in Houston before moving to Phillips Academy in Andover, MA, where he became head cheerleader and earned the nickname the Lip from his chums for his rapier wit), was unavailable for comment."

Jollymon
06-04-2004, 10:45 PM
They all seem like gameshow hosts to me...

--Sting

shinomaster
06-05-2004, 03:09 AM
A person can be wealthy and still have good values. One need not be poor to represent the working class. I don't think Kerry wants to de-regulate big businesses so they can pollute our air, water and contribute to global warming, while drilling for more oil in Alaska so we can use SUV"s as tax write offs. I don't think he wants to cut down all our old growth trees in Oregon either.
will Kerry go to war with another moslem nation?? Hmmm..

There may be an evil to both but clearly there is a lesser of the two.