PDA

View Full Version : Integrated crankset/bb install question...

JasonF
04-08-2007, 09:16 AM
I have an IF Planet Cross that due to bb shell width, needs a 112.5 traditional square taper bb (109mm bb not long enough for the lockring to thread on the non-driveside bb cup without a lot of spindle play). I'm thinking about purchasing an FSA Gossamer cross crankset that has an integrated MegaExo bottom bracket.

I am totally unfamiliar with integrated setups, and was curious to know if the bb axle on these newish integrated cranks is long enough to fit on bikes that have bb shells slightly wider than traditional road bikes. Since the FSA is cross-specific, I would be shocked if it didn't fit in these applications, but you never know..Thanks in advance!

Once dialed in, obligatory garage door shots will follow the color is now split pea pearl, kinda different.

stevep
04-08-2007, 09:52 AM
whats the width of the bb shell?
its not 68?

JasonF
04-08-2007, 10:15 AM
The bb shell is 68, but when I installed the fixed cup on the driveside the small chainring would rub against the chainstay unless I installed a 2mm spacer between the bb shell and the fixed cup. That moved everything over 2mm, and now the bb axle has a lot of play (i.e., it's loose) unless I really screw in the non-driveside cup so far that the lockring doesn't have enough threads to catch onto the cup and lock down.

So I'm stuck between two bad choices: a loose bb axle with the lockring firmly tightened, or a tight bb axle with no threads left to fit the lockring. Is a new bb the only solution?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm totally confused and used to the simplicity of campy bb's on road bikes.

stevep
04-08-2007, 11:56 AM
so the indent where the small ring is next to the frame is insufficient to clear the frame?

you should bring it to a good shop.
the 2 alternatives you named are ng.

something rotten in denmark.