PDA

View Full Version : Most comfortable stem, bars, and seatpost?

JG1
04-07-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm in the process of getting a new NOVE and am setting it up to be as comfortable as possible.

Any reccomendations on high quality stem, bars, and seatpost that are light and comfortable? I'm a heavy rider (approx. 200lbs) so parts need to be bulletproof.

I'm leaning toward carbon.

Would really apprecaite any thoughts/reccomendations.

Thanks,

JG

swoop
04-07-2007, 08:33 PM
i'd sleep better with you choosing to be on a lovely aluminum stem and bar...and not even concern yourself with weight. a few grams will give you no boost in performance and raise your risk considerably as well as likely be not stiff enough.

there is no functional reason for any of your stem and bar choices to be made of carbon... lose 50 or 60 lbs and your in the carbon bar stem window. it just is what it is.

atmo

obtuse
04-07-2007, 08:50 PM
saddle: rolls
handlebar: deda newton deep
stem: deda newton

what's comfortable for me has nothing to do with what is comfortable for you though imho bro.

obtuse

edouard
04-07-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm in the process of getting a new NOVE and am setting it up to be as comfortable as possible.

Any reccomendations on high quality stem, bars, and seatpost that are light and comfortable? I'm a heavy rider (approx. 200lbs) so parts need to be bulletproof.

Thanks,

JG

go ti
moots
ericksen

julia
04-07-2007, 10:05 PM
go ti
moots
ericksen

word

the moots is nice, but the new ericksen is the most elegant seatpost i've seen round here

sorry can't find a picture. . .

93legendti
04-07-2007, 10:21 PM
word

the moots is nice, but the new ericksen is the most elegant seatpost i've seen round here

sorry can't find a picture. . .
Here you go:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=26798&highlight=nahbs

petitelilpettit
04-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Carbon's good, but I would say look into Ritchey components. I'd say the best bar, stem and seat post combo out there. WCS aluminum is light and comfortable. I'd say the WCS Classic bar if you don't like the anatomic bend. I'm hovering around the 200lb mark, and I can say that it would have no problem with you.

Petttit

Yay!!! 200th post!! :banana: :banana:

Kirk007
04-07-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm slightly north or you ... see terraplane for aeroplane and Kirk rain bike in custom bikes for pix of various non-carbon choices, including the Eriksen post, which is indeed the coolest, and I've been trying out every non-carbon post out there - gotta few if its 27.2 you're after. Otherwise the Ritchey/Oval aluminum for setback post, Thomson of course for zero setback. Why put carbon under your nether regions when aluminum or ti does it just as well as within grams of the same weight.

Easton, Ritchey, Stella Azzurra - lots of nice aluminum bars and stems to choose from. Seats - gotta find what your butt likes, can't help you there.

Greg

Frankwurst
04-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Nitto. Bomb proof, comfortable and looks good. :beer:

93legendti
04-07-2007, 11:08 PM

Thanks,

JG
Easton aluminum stems and bars and aluminum or carbon seatposts are real nice, as is the Oval stuff.

TonyMo
04-08-2007, 02:33 AM
:bike: I am waiting for my Ottrott to arrive and I am going for the Stella Azzurra bars which have had some pretty hot reviews http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=1714
http://www.stellaazzurra.com/Handle-bars/Tirreno.php

Has anybody tried them?

:bike:

Mud
04-08-2007, 06:55 AM
Advise is cheap, experience is priceless. The Ericson post has a clamp that tightens from the side. I had a custom Bold Precision on my wife's bike. If you use a Brooks saddle the clamp may not fit. I did have to return the post to AB to have the clamp redone. When she switched saddles to a Rolls, it would not work for a couple of reasons. Mainly the side of the saddle got in the way of tightening the clamp. It is beautiful eye candy but she now uses a Campy post.

CNY rider
04-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Since you're aiming for a comfortable ride.....what did you choose for wheels and tires?
And to answer your question, I'm definitely a fan of alloy stems/posts. Thomson is head and shoulders above the rest if you can use a straight post. I think the bent one is ugly. On the downside, I've had more trouble with Ritchey WCS post clamp than with any of the others mentioned here.

Jeff N.
04-08-2007, 08:09 AM
I echo the Deda Newton line of stems and bars. I've used 'em all and these are the best, IMO. Seatpost? I like the Mavic 330. Never seen a better made aluminum seatpost. Not a regular production item anymore, but can be had on E-Bay occasionally. A little heavier than some, but....still my favorite. As some reviewer once said, "The ownership of a Mavic 330 seatpost brings with it the understanding that you are a patron of the arts in workmanship and design".
Also, don't forget Dura Ace seatposts. Ultegra too. I stay clear of carbon for these parts. You should too. Jeff N.

dauwhe
04-08-2007, 08:41 AM
I can't imagine that a stem or seatpost would have much influence on comfort, especially compared to saddles, geometry, and tires!

For handlebars, the key would be a shape that works for you, and what works for me might not work for you. All my bikes have the Nitto Noodle, as the shallow ramps make for a perfect spot for the hands just behind the hoods. Think about what hand positions you use most while riding; that could influence your choice. You also may want to experiment with bar tape and the various pads or inserts available, if you have trouble with the comfort of some handlebars.

Dave

michael white
04-08-2007, 09:02 AM
yeah, as for comfort, I've been using gel pads on a few of my bars. I prefer the Specialized version. It's very habit forming.

Most of the other stuff mentioned is great, have used a lot of it and it's all good depending on the style of bike you're setting up.

Chad Engle
04-08-2007, 09:44 AM
+1 on the Deda Newtons, Thompson post. Comfort you'll have to figure out on your own. I'm "heavy" too, "hey, these are 36's and their loose".

catulle
04-08-2007, 09:50 AM

Thanks,

JG

If you look around, you'll find that carbon bars, stems and seatposts are generally speaking as heavy or heavier than the better alloys and much more expensive. Moreover, I'd venture to say that alloy is a safer material in particular for a heavier rider. I've been using Oval components and I like them a lot.

BoulderGeek
04-08-2007, 01:13 PM
I've been sitting at 215lbs for longer than I would appreciate. I am hoping to see 195lbs by August. I'm going to grind out Braincon to Valloire over the Galibier until I do.

My Nove is set up with FSA K-Force carbon stem and Easton EC90 Equipe carbon bars. Very comfy, nice vibro absorbtion, available at cheap prices these days.

I am running the Thompson Elite aluminum seatpost partially due to not wanting a 27.2 shim, and to faulire stories from other clydesdales using carbon posts. I determined that it just isn't worth going carbon on the seatpost with my weight and riding style.

I run the Terry Fly Ti saddle, with is very comfy. That saddle, plus the carbon stays and ti tubes of the Nove make vibration so negligible, I can't see a carbon post being worth the money and breakage risk.

If I hit 180, maybe a carbon post.

BoulderGeek
04-08-2007, 01:14 PM
somehow got a dupe

LesMiner
04-08-2007, 02:31 PM
While I had a Litespeed Ghisallo frame, I used a Bontrager Race X Lite Acc. I am 200 lbs and this post worked very well for me. On a compact frame like the Ghisallo, the seat post is very extended. This seat post is constructed by covering an aluminum tube with carbon fiber. The two layers allow a degree of flex without damage or failure. Fairly light and a wide range of sizes. I also liked the offset choices and the seat mounting mechanism.

http://www.bontrager.com/Road/Components/Seatposts/22088.php

RPS
04-08-2007, 03:59 PM

Thanks,

JGDifferences in seat posts or stems are so small that they don’t affect comfort enough for me to differentiate. Other factors overshadow any real differences that I can perceive – but that’s just me.

IMO it is smart to take your weight into account when selecting these items. In the last three weeks two friends I ride with have broken lightweight equipment. Unless you are a competitive racer or are a very light rider why risk it?

Personally I don’t rule out carbon in favor of aluminum because of strength. I think that on an equal weight basis, carbon can be as strong as or stronger than aluminum. I feel safer with a carbon fork than an aluminum one, so why not a seat post? The Calfee I sold recently had an Easton EC-70 carbon seat post and I liked it except for the 25 MM offset being more than I needed. I plan to buy another carbon seat post for the new bike I’m building, but will do so based on value, not on one being more comfortable than another.

Peter P.
04-08-2007, 05:17 PM
It might surprise you to know that even though lightweight carbon bars are readily available to the pros, it's been reported in the press that most pros prefer to stick with aluminum bars, presumably due to their proven safety margin versus the too many disconcerting reports of carbon bars breaking under stress.

I recommend any aluminum bar/stem combo where torque specifications don't have to be so critically adhered to. This is true of most mid-range components. Any components that emphasize adhering to a torque specification is pushing the edge of safety and anyone not acutely aware of the importance of torque specs, nor with the tools to measure them, should shy away from the super light stuff.

You might want to consider the oversized bars that are currently available. They're identified by a 31.8mm clamp diameter. They'll flex less under someone of your weight. Please note that some flex is GOOD, as it acts as suspension, which also means that the "old" standard of 26.0mm bars should be plenty stiff, and may in fact offer more of that "comfort" you mentioned, yet certainly won't be noodly.

I've never heard of a "comfortable" seatpost, though some may say the carbon posts offer some shock damping qualities. Here again, because of your weight, I'd shy away from carbon as a snapping seatpost is a story most of us would prefer not to tell our grandkids. I like the Salsa Shaft, an aluminum post with separate, microadjustable tilt and fore-aft features. It's an ingenious design which in my experience doesn't slip, either.

michael white
04-08-2007, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=RPS]

Personally I don’t rule out carbon in favor of aluminum because of strength. I think that on an equal weight basis, carbon can be as strong as or stronger than aluminum. I feel safer with a carbon fork than an aluminum one, so why not a seat post? QUOTE]

I agree. My ti Merlin has carbon bars and seatpost. They are strong as heck, believe me. My Equipe Pro bars are more rigid than any aluminum bar I've owned, but ride better than most--in other words, my experience is that carbon bars are really a lot like carbon forks in being rigid, light, and yet absorbent. Not noodly like those aluminum road forks we used to ride.

My other bars are all aluminum; it's mostly a style issue for me. I have broken aluminum bars, though. Good ones. Snapped them right off in my hand like a cheap piece of wood--not a fun thing when you're going down a hill in Utah and hit a big hole. So please don't anyone tell me aluminum won't break. Believe me, it will.

In other words, this stated preference for aluminum sounds a whole lot like a retro-grouch thing. To me. Which is fine, really.

CNY rider
04-08-2007, 06:31 PM
snipped....
Here again, because of your weight, I'd shy away from carbon as a snapping seatpost is a story most of us would prefer not to tell our grandkids. .

You snap a carbon post and there probably aren't going to BE any grandkids... ;)

RPS
04-08-2007, 09:32 PM
You snap a carbon post and there probably aren't going to BE any grandkids... ;)If failure mode concerned me, I’d go with a thin-wall titanium seat post – more likely to bend if overloaded, but can break too.

medici
04-09-2007, 12:29 AM
For handlebars, the key would be a shape that works for you, and what works for me might not work for you. All my bikes have the Nitto Noodle, as the shallow ramps make for a perfect spot for the hands just behind the hoods.
Dave

Ditto on the Nitto. I just put Rivendell's Soba bar on my Legend (it's a
lighter, heattreated version of the Noodle) and really like it. My favorite
aluminum bar to date.

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16168.html

Pete