PDA

View Full Version : No 'real' rider wears booties in stinkin' April...

Kevan
04-06-2007, 01:55 PM
toewarmers maybe, but I'm no wus. I know what is expected of me. I know it's imperative that I move forward into the new season. I know I'm to throw myself against every hillside in the county, and hack up a lung in the process of climbing over the rise. I know all of that...

but my feet froze sum'it awful today.

Otherwise, it was nice to get out, even with the occasional flurry.

rdparadise
04-06-2007, 01:59 PM
I went out this morning around 10 am for a 40 mile spin. It was in the mid 30's and the wind was about 15-20mph steady. I thought I had seen the last of the winter gear, but nope. I pulled out the booties, wool socks and extra thick cycling gloves and was properly equiped.

Of course the wind killed our average pace but, I'm glad I put on some miles on such a nasty day. :banana:

Bob

Tom
04-06-2007, 02:07 PM
but my right foot didn't. Both had wool socks and a bootie over the shoe.

Those PI lobster claw gloves are great! I got a pair thinking I wouldn't need them until next year but I was wrong, and I was glad I had 'em.

I saw a big white bird with a black face on the river and I thought it was a Canada Goose frozen white but when I got home I looked it up and apparently it was a Whistling Swan. Cool.

swoop
04-06-2007, 02:09 PM
shoot. today was cadence and spin-ups in the parking lot and bike path... for an hour workout... and so for the easy days like this... i have oversocks, knee warmers, ls jersey, wintec cap, vest.... and it was 60 something out.

swoop don't have nuthin to prove... i needs the warmth on the easy days.

AgilisMerlin
04-06-2007, 02:30 PM
cotton Overshoes are da' bomb, y'all

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pics/SIDIZOSH0400.jpg

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbboooooooooooooooyah !

1centaur
04-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Much to the consternation of bikeforums neanderthals (just to pick on someone randomly), cycling is not about seeing how much you can suffer in every way. If the choice is having cold feet or not having cold feet, only an idiot would vote for the former, and if your feet aren't cold at a given temperature it's not because you're a stud, it's because of a combination of genetics and what you wear.

So booties in January, April or August, it's all about enjoying your time on the bike. If you can annoy a neanderthal along the way, so much the better.

dirtdigger88
04-06-2007, 03:46 PM
got some of these

https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item-picture/12520/picture

best cold weather gear I ever picked up -

Jason

swalburn
04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
It is 29 degrees here and snowing, and I'm thanking God that I have my shoe covers right now. April is looking like it will be worse than March. March was very pleasant.

davids
04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
My feet (Sidis and heavyweight SmartWool socks) were painfully numb after last Friday's ride, when it was 38. Sunday, I added baggies, and was fine.

This morning it was 28, and the wind was gusting to 25 mph. I rode the trainer.

Kevan
04-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Much to the consternation of bikeforums neanderthals (just to pick on someone randomly), cycling is not about seeing how much you can suffer in every way. If the choice is having cold feet or not having cold feet, only an idiot would vote for the former, and if your feet aren't cold at a given temperature it's not because you're a stud, it's because of a combination of genetics and what you wear.

So booties in January, April or August, it's all about enjoying your time on the bike. If you can annoy a neanderthal along the way, so much the better.

It's so easy a caveman can do it.

david
04-06-2007, 07:07 PM
did about 40 today sans covers and the tips of my big toes were blue when i got home.
april, right?

rwsaunders
04-06-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm meeting two cycling partners tomorrow at 7:30 am for our Saturday morning ride and here I am sitting in front of a roaring fire in April. Oh well, back to dyeing the Easter eggs.

saab2000
04-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Did 40 miles on the Look KG381i High Modulous carbon bike today. 43 degrees or so at the time in Alexandria, VA. The only good thing about the nippy temps is the fact that there are fewer people to dodge on the various trails.

And for those of you from the DC area, the Mount Vernon trail south of Alexandria is actually rideable. Not many people and enough gradient changes to make it decent. Normally I can't stand trails. But that one is not bad.

stevep
04-06-2007, 08:48 PM
im w/ dirt digger.
those shoes are the nuts.
use 'em 1/2 of the year.
nice.
worth every stinkin' cent.

saab2000
04-06-2007, 09:28 PM
I may have to get a pair of those shoes. I have heard good things about them and I bet SteveP and Mr. Dirt are right that you can use them about half the time. Today would have been one of those days.

chrisroph
04-06-2007, 11:39 PM
80 F here today in stumptown so it was shorts, short sleeve jersey, etc. It was very nice.

shinomaster
04-06-2007, 11:57 PM
80 F here today in stumptown so it was shorts, short sleeve jersey, etc. It was very nice.

It was very, very nice!

Steve Hampsten
04-07-2007, 12:10 AM
78 degrees here in the Emerald City, four hours on the Peg.

Fitness courtesy of Ritiro.

Sucked, obviously - you're not missing anything.

Really.

ClutchCargo
04-07-2007, 06:21 AM
out for a coupla hours in breezy 37 -39 degree weather Friday, it was boooooties all the way, man. there's enough things in this world that'll make you uncomfortable. I'll take warm feet, thank you very much! :)

after all, betcha didn't go for a cold shower after that ride . . .
at any rate, more of the same today, huh? well, it's all good !!!

Ride on, baby!

TimD
04-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Six of us at 0530 yesterday, 27 degrees F., wind @15-20, 'feels like 16". We all had our booties on, even the unreal rider who pulled directly upwind for four minutes at 27 MPH... :banana:

BoulderGeek
04-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Checking out the outside world of the Net, as there are flakes coming down and a dark, dark sky.

Eek, that's impressive, Tim. No way am I going out in that (or the same weather we have right now).

Might have to do some wrenching in the dining room.

Happy April.

link
04-07-2007, 11:21 AM
wow! 30s along the mid-atlantic ...brrr.

here in the central co rockies at 9000' it was 45 yesterday as it has been for weeks. but strong bluebird skies and intense sun make it feel oh so good.

this wimp is switching between booties for 45 and lower and caps for 45 - 55.

i love this time of year ...skiing ang biking are both good right now.

Ginger
04-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Ride? Today?

In the freak'n blizzard?

Have a nice time with that. :)

BoulderGeek
04-07-2007, 12:34 PM
i love this time of year ...skiing ang biking are both good right now.

I so miss living up in the mountains.

Where are you, Link?

I would have gone skiing today, but now it's 4 hours of driving, and $30 at least in gas. The ordeal has taken the thrill from slope time. Bah.

William
04-07-2007, 12:40 PM

I was going to say that he (Kevan) must never have ridden in Oregon in April....then you guys trump me. :crap:

80 in Portland...in April....***. :confused: Though, I do remember in 89/90 it got real nice in March...and stayed that way until late September. Just *Beautiful.

William

*Remember all, that was a fluke...a 100 year event. Just remember that if you ever think you want to move there.

;)

marle
04-07-2007, 06:42 PM
toewarmers maybe, but I'm no wus. I know what is expected of me. I know it's imperative that I move forward into the new season. I know I'm to throw myself against every hillside in the county, and hack up a lung in the process of climbing over the rise. I know all of that...

nice ride...total mileage was 64 w/o booties

Kevan
04-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Hope the booties don't get caught up in my trousers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Wre5zO4Ek)

rwsaunders
04-08-2007, 08:33 AM
We headed out yesterday into the Western PA wind and the cold. It doesn't matter at this point, as Spring cycling fever has hit us. I actually used the adhesive footwarmers with the booties and those little buggers lived up to their claim, staying warm for the entire 40 miler. On marginal days like yesterday, one of my compadres always chimes in "What would Fausto Coppi do?"

At the coffee shop at the end of a ride, a woman came up to us and said "you must be the crazy cyclists that I saw earlier this morning. I wish that I could get my husband to exercise." Enough said. Keep on pedaling brothers and sisters. We're fortunate to have good health this Easter.

chuckred
04-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Wouldn't mind the every weekend snowstorms - if they were at the Ski Resorts where they belong...

93legendti
04-08-2007, 09:36 AM
got some of these

Jason
As Jason and Stevep know, the Winter Freeze is the ticket. Smartwool socks and toe covers are all that is needed with the Freeze shoe. Even in 30 degree weather with snow. But, I'll keep the booties out, just in case. :)

Kevan
04-08-2007, 09:41 AM
as I don all my body armor.

Okay...okay...I wimped out. But I'm heading out!

Ah...to feast on mutton upon my return. Where's my wench?! Music!

Tom
04-08-2007, 09:52 AM
It's not my fault. Thirty degrees, snow and a 20mph wind? No problem. Thirty degrees, snow, a 20mph wind and at work all night - takes the wind right out of your sails, so to speak. An easy hour on the trainer is in the cards I suppose.

CNY rider
04-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Rode to work and back this morning. 20 degrees and snowing both ways (7.5 miles each way). Rode the cyclocross bike with the effin' studded snow tires and all the winter gear on. Not feelin' the love right now. I like that those tires keep me on the road in the winter; now the bike feels heavy and bloated and I don't want to see the winter stuff again until next November.

Kevan
04-08-2007, 02:02 PM
a dirt-ready road bike of one style or other. Regardless of budget... beg, borrow and steel [sic] the bits and pieces to make one happen. They are a total blast.

I intended to do a 30 mile loop which included something like 3-4 miles of packed dirt road. I had so much fun on the stuff, I changed my mind and turned the route out to the dam into an out and back, thus doubling my pleasure.

The booties were warm.

palincss
04-08-2007, 06:24 PM

Might as well forget the calendar this year, as it seems to have been shredded and sctattered throughout the year on a random basis. I went on a ride in January when it was over 70 degrees, and today, Easter Sunday, it was 34 degrees with winds gusting up to 30 mph for a "feels like" temp of 25 when my ride rolled this morning - and it never got much above 40 all day.

I was wearing what I wore on days this winter when it was 25 degrees: 2 balaclavas, wool socks, booties, wool leg warmers, fleece tights, a polypro base layer, 3 layers of wool, a light windbreaker and a wind vest. I forgot my heavy gloves, so I wore two pairs of glove liners under my cycling gloves. The 2nd pair of glove liners and the 2nd balaclava, along with the wind vest, came off at mile 12 or so.

Amazingly enough, I and the two riders I had on my ride had a good day, even though there were plenty of times on the last 5 miles back, riding straight into that howling headwind, that we had trouble hitting 10 mph.

I hope they wore fur bonnets and long johns under the fancy frocks at the Easter Parade today...

palincss
04-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Did 40 miles on the Look KG381i High Modulous carbon bike today. 43 degrees or so at the time in Alexandria, VA. The only good thing about the nippy temps is the fact that there are fewer people to dodge on the various trails.

And for those of you from the DC area, the Mount Vernon trail south of Alexandria is actually rideable. Not many people and enough gradient changes to make it decent. Normally I can't stand trails. But that one is not bad.

Just you wait until the weather gets nice. Then let's talk about "not many people".

link
04-08-2007, 09:30 PM
I so miss living up in the mountains.

Where are you, Link?

I would have gone skiing today, but now it's 4 hours of driving, and $30 at least in gas. The ordeal has taken the thrill from slope time. Bah.

Eagle Vail.

I know what you mean but in the reverse way. I have folks in Boulder and it gets harder every year to make trips for a visit because of gas and the ever looming possibility of getting stuck on I70.

Selfishly, I usually only go if I can squeeze in some riding time and I'm not going to miss a powder day.

...priorities, right?

bironi
04-08-2007, 09:31 PM
The east coast gets it's due. Yea, we got one day close to 70f, but we have a very long way to go on wet roads ahead.

Kevan
04-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I see the Flanders was done in beautiful sunny weather. For crying out loud! What's that all about?!

DarrenCT
04-08-2007, 09:36 PM
got some of these

Jason

these are the best investment i've ever made. maybe even better than my richard sachs sig. nah.. maybe not :)

seriously, i would have paid $500 for these shoes. they rule!

Onno
04-08-2007, 09:41 PM
I did a 30km cross-country ski race yesterday! April 7. There was at least 2 feet of snow, plus another 10 inches or so of new snow in the Tug Hill area of upstate NY. I'd already put away my skis, but since biking was out of the question, a friendly season-ending race seemed like a good idea. About 50 people showed up. The forecast for this next week makes it nearly certain that next weekend will also be one for skiing rather than riding, so we'll probably have another season-ending race then.

Onno