PDA

View Full Version : Wheels for Lightweight Riders with Lightweight Wallets

aminadab
04-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Once again, I appeal to the group. My girlfriend's Kirk should be coming soon (hopefully!) and we're getting all the components ready. We had her fit by Smiley (again, a fantastic guy) and he recommended someone to build wheels for her. At the time we didn't really give it much thought, as we were already over our budget at that point. But now, she's stuck with my old set of Open Pros on Centaur hubs. I'm 190lbs, she's 115. I'm thinking that these wheels really won't suit her and might even take away from what's sure to be a great ride. Any suggestions? Our budget is around 400.00. Is this even possible? Thanks so much.

By the way, after 6 months in Morocco on the world's worst excerise bike, I'm back in CA and about to go for a ride. My legs are already starting to scream.

SadieKate
04-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Why do you think the Open Pros won't suit her? Open Pros can provide a nice ride for a smaller person. What are the spokes and lacing pattern? That can make a huge difference in the ride quality. Depending on the wear and tear on the wheels, you may consider just getting them re-built with light spokes.

aminadab
04-06-2007, 11:52 AM
They're 36 and I don't know the pattern, but they we're built really tough for me. They only have about 4000 miles on them; they're condition seems fine. Do you think 36 will be ok for her?

SadieKate
04-06-2007, 12:05 PM
http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#spokes

I'd talk to a good wheelbuilder about really light spokes. You could stay far under budget and possibly have a very nice resilient ride for her. I'm not an expert when it comes to wheelbuilding but I am really cranky about harsh riding wheels.

thejen12
04-06-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm looking for new wheels for my new bike. I'm about 125 lbs and ride recreationally, generally on nice roads. The main quality I want in a wheel is comfort, followed by reliability. I don't know anything about lacing patterns, except that my brother-in-law said once he had wheels laced "2-cross" and they were really fast but beat him up something awful, so I don't think I want that! Of course I want to climb fast, too. :rolleyes:

I was thinking of Chris King hubs laced to DT 1.1 rims, 28-spokes front and rear. I want the CK hubs because I have a mango CK headset and spacers and my bike was painted to match (sort of) and would look super-good with CK mango hubs. I chose the DT rims because I don't like aero rims because I don't like having to buy tubes with the long valve-stems, and Mavic doesn't offer 28 spoke OP rims in silver.

Do those sound like reasonable choices? (I know the CK hubs are a little pricey, but I want the look.) Any advice as to lacing patterns? Will I be able to get Conti GP 4000s on those rims?

Thanks, Jenn

musgravecycles
04-06-2007, 12:20 PM
call Joe Young and have him build up a set of Velocity Aerohead/Aerohead OC's (Velocity Escapes would be better for her if you're willing to go tubular, you'll end up with a lighter overall package, plus you get the dreamy tubular ride.) to Ultegra hubs.

Budget slayer wheels for sure...

SadieKate
04-06-2007, 12:28 PM
thejen12, aminadab is trying to stay below what your budget is so I'm providing the info below because it is more in your range and deals with the ride comfort issue. I'm just cutting and pasting from a post on another forum so it isn't edited.

John Ackley of www.bfwg.net (and now Paradigm Cycles) built a set of wheels for me at Xmas. I wanted them because the wheels on one of my roadbikes were beating the crud out of me and I was bouncing around too much on the descents -- and I weigh 135 lbs.

I have Topolinos on one road bike and they are known for their silky smooth ride - laterally stiff but ever so comfy on rough roads. Anyway, I told John that I had Topos on another bike and wanted to get a ride much like them or another set of handbuilt Mavic Open Pro/Chorus wheels. I set a high standard and, boy, did he deliver.

These are the specs:
Here's the down-low on the wheels you ordered for Sarah:
Velocity AeroHead rims (28 hole OC rear / 24 hole front), black ano with machined sidewalls
Black H1 hubs by White Industries
Black CX-Ray spokes by Sapim, with silver alloy nipples
Velocity Veloplugs
Wheels will be built 2-cross, front and rear

I can say enough about his wheelbuilding skills or his business practices and communication. Absolutely superb. I have a set of his wheels on an XC mtbike and they took some abuse at Moab this summer with flying colors.

Musgrave, it was an assumption I'll admit, but aminadab mentioned Centaur so I assume they want Campy-compatible. But that would be an excellent choice given the budget.

LesMiner
04-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Neuvation Cycling makes fairly good wheelsets for a low price. Here is their website.

http://neuvationcycling.com/wheel/comparison.html

thejen12
04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks, SadieKate,

Yes, somehow I missed the reference to a "lightweight wallet" in the title of the post - I shouldn't have added my post here, oops. Interesting info in the post that you pasted in, I appreciate it.

Now, back to the original topic, I'll repost my question later if necessary.

Jenn

aminadab
04-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks, SadieKate,

Yes, somehow I missed the reference to a "lightweight wallet" in the title of the post - I shouldn't have added my post here, oops.

Jenn

No worries, this is an interesting discussion all the same. I spoke with Joe Young who was very helpful and quite nice. He thinks we should stick with my old wheelset and see how it goes. We live in a really hilly area, which I forgot to mention. I think they're going to be really stiff and harsh, but who knows. Joe and I talked about 28s with tubulars, which I ride and love. I think he can make something fantastic within our budget and I imagine we'll end up ordering her something through him eventually. Thanks for all the responses everyone.

SponsorsWanted
04-06-2007, 01:19 PM
You could probably find some American Classic 350's on ebay for <$400, or if you prefer tubs you could get some Record/Dura-Ace hubs laced to reflex rims.

cmg
04-06-2007, 01:55 PM
check the "wheels and tires" section of the roadbikereviews forum here http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95 for more suggestions. Do a search for light wheels.

malcolm
04-06-2007, 02:04 PM
My wifes bike has wheels from Mike Garcia at odds and endos. They are velocity aeroheads with speedcific hubs, other than that I can't recall the specifics but they came in well under $400. They have been perfect thus far (a little over a year). I suspect ergott could hook you up as well and stay in your price range.

davids
04-06-2007, 02:36 PM
My wifes bike has wheels from Mike Garcia at odds and endos. They are velocity aeroheads with speedcific hubs, other than that I can't recall the specifics but they came in well under $400. They have been perfect thus far (a little over a year). I suspect ergott could hook you up as well and stay in your price range.
Mike (http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/index.htm?214) quoted me $390 for that combo recently, and Ergott (http://www.ergottwheels.com/) quoted the same for a Aerohead/Ultegra set. Decisions, decisions...