PDA

View Full Version : Ergomo Pro vs. SRM Amateur

A.L.Breguet
04-06-2007, 06:19 AM
I know this has been discussed, sort of.
Specifically, can any one give an opinion on a choice between these 2 power meters. I am back into racing after many years and wish to optimise my performance within my budget. I ride in all weather on some of the worst roads in the country.
I'm primarily looking at price:
$1600 for Ergomo
$2100 for the SRM
Ergomo claim greater accuracy, but I wonder if the SRM is more durable/reliable.
Also, the one leg power measure of the Ergomo bothers me a little.

I don't want to go for a false economy. i.e. buy the ergomo only to be dissatisfied.
Thanks

stevep
04-06-2007, 06:34 AM
get srm.
been around a long time and the bugs are out.

BdaGhisallo
04-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Yup. Go for the SRM for the reasons SteveP says. It is the one. The others are trying to catch up.

zank
04-06-2007, 08:14 AM
I have been very happy with my Power Tap. Is that not in the running because you have wheels already built up?

A.L.Breguet
04-06-2007, 08:22 AM
I have been very happy with my Power Tap. Is that not in the running because you have wheels already built up?
Well, that's part of it. But mainly, I figure that a crank or bottom bracket will last a lot longer. I don't use super fancy wheels, but It'd be nice to keep the option open for hot rod wheels with power measure during TT's or whatever.

jimcav
04-06-2007, 08:51 AM
by a shop that sells both. ergomo is apain to set up i think, and you eally must do it right--face/case the bb, 9 o'clock etc. i just got one and it seems pretty good so far. i like the display, i like also seeing the climb gradient, feet climbed, etc. i also ride campy so that helped--easy to use with campy square cranks which i have in abundance

jim

FlaRider
04-06-2007, 09:12 AM
I own several SRM Pros and have been extremely happy. No experience with Ergomo, however. If you really want to get the most out of training with power, then I highly suggest you get a coach who can give you power-based workouts and analyze power files. If cost is a concern, I suggest you buy a Power Tap and use the rest of the money you would have spent on the SRM for coaching.

A.L.Breguet
04-06-2007, 09:17 AM
I own several SRM Pros and have been extremely happy. No experience with Ergomo, however. If you really want to get the most out of training with power, then I highly suggest you get a coach who can give you power-based workouts and analyze power files. If cost is a concern, I suggest you buy a Power Tap and use the rest of the money you would have spent on the SRM for coaching.
Thanks!
I do have a coach, a great one at that. He's made suggestions about this topic, but I was just seeking additional input.

obtuse
04-06-2007, 09:27 AM
ergomo is better. srm looks cooler.

obtuse

Climb01742
04-06-2007, 09:37 AM
another thing to consider is loading the software onto your computer. a few years ago i tried a srm. getting the srm software loaded and working was darn hard, for me anyway.

since ergomo and srm are bike-specific, while the powertap is wheel-specific, will you be changing bikes any time in the future? if you're commited to one bike -- wow, what a concept :D -- then maybe the ergomo/srm makes more sense. if not, maybe powertap?

zank
04-06-2007, 09:44 AM
another thing to consider is loading the software onto your computer. a few years ago i tried a srm. getting the srm software loaded and working was darn hard, for me anyway.

I really like the Cyclingpeaks WKO+ software. Compared to the software that came with my PT, the Cyclingpeaks software allows you to sort data and create custom charts far easier.

fstrthnu
04-06-2007, 09:59 AM
What would guru Adam Myerson say about a system that measures power from only the left side? Any violent, out of the saddle efforts will not be accurately measured. If the system relies on bb deflection, how accurate will the ergomo measure power when pulling up on one crank and pushing down on the other? Both systems are nice. SRM works for every rider. Ergomo works for 75% of riders.

obtuse
04-06-2007, 10:10 AM
What would guru Adam Myerson say about a system that measures power from only the left side? Any violent, out of the saddle efforts will not be accurately measured. If the system relies on bb deflection, how accurate will the ergomo measure power when pulling up on one crank and pushing down on the other? Both systems are nice. SRM works for every rider. Ergomo works for 75% of riders.

he'd say- "well, the thing is....."

i don't know how bad measuring from the left side only is. my understanding is that in order to get any usefull information out of any of these systems you want'em to be taking measurements and averaging them every few seconds rather than constantly in order to get rid of the weird peak info. our buddy cees is probably the one to ask about it and he's an srm fan....everything i have seen, seems to imply that both systems under the same circumstances give you the same information. and the ergomo has an altimeter and a larger display alllowing you to see whatever stuff you want.

the ergomo is also alot easier to set up on whacked out time trial bikes because you don't need to make funny little mounts that screw on to the cable guides to get the thing to work with strange tt bikes.....on the other hand you do need to prep and face the frame, but this is a hidden benefit since every frame should really have that done to it....

you've used'em both..did you notice a difference? i guess the most important thing is make sure the support mechanics don't clip the wires.

obtuse

nm87710
04-06-2007, 10:10 AM
IMO it's a no brainer

SRM...
category leader
best in class service
best resale
use w/any wheels - big deal if serious about PM training
easy 5min switch to other bikes - TT
bomproof - no moving parts to wear out

PM users I know seem to eventually end up riding a SRM. Never known anybody that's left SRM for Ergomo, PT, Polar or Ibike.

FYI: if interested I have a used SRM Pro for sale $1800. No, I'm not dumping SRM or power training...I'm now on a SRM DA :D . In any case if you go SRM look for a used one and save $$ since they don't break or wear out.

just my 2 pesos...

zank
04-06-2007, 10:18 AM
i guess the most important thing is make sure the support mechanics don't clip the wires.

obtuse

That's why I got the PT 2.4 :D

Ha, as if I had support mechanics :rolleyes:

jbrainin
04-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I've been using the Ergomo device for a bit over two weeks now. It has worked quite well for me so far. If acquiring one, be absoutely certain that you note the K factor number which is only located on the bottom bracket sensor otherwise, you'll need to remove the bottom bracket to get the number.

Regarding accuracy of left side measurement only, the Ergomo computer only takes measurements in intervals of no less than 1 second. I understand that power meters like the SRM which sample both sides also record data at similar intervals. I'm unfamiliar with the workings of the SRM, but unless it has a Computrainer-like spin scan feature, I don't see much downside to the Ergomo method.

Also, you can buy an Ergomo Pro from Nimble for about $1440.

Jonathan

MarinRider
04-06-2007, 11:03 AM
I have used a SRM PRO for over 2 years and an Ergomo for about a year. Both give very similar numbers during field testing so I cannot tell the "left side only measurment" pitfall.

SRM is just built to a higher quality and will last longer IMO. SRM computer operates like a swiss watch or a medical instrument: it reacts to power input much quicker and the display easier to read when you are on the verge of passing out from doing intervals. I also like the interval function on the SRM better: press one button and you start an interval. Ergomo requires you to go through a sub menu to start an interval.

In a year of use, my Ergomo has developed a crack on the computer face; the handlebar mount is shaking like no end; the "offset" calibration that you are suppose to do before every ride has become almost impossible to do. It feels more like a consumer product than a professional instrument. I have had no problem whatsoever with the SRM.

I do train through the rain and the cold in nothern cal. SRM Pro is also more than 2X pricier than an Ergomo. Ergomo does the job well and gives you more info (altitude, TSS, IF, etc) than the SRM. For my money though, SRM is the way to go.