PDA

View Full Version : OT: This stinks - battling the IRS and Microsoft

Louis
04-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, it may not be quite that bad (yet) but what going to be merely a PITA this weekend has turned into a major hassle.

On my way home tonight I finally got around to buying the latest version of Turbo Tax so I could do my taxes. I've been using it for ages with no problems. So I load the CD and wait. Up pops a menu that says something like "We have detected that your operating system is Windows 98. Turbo Tax 2006 is not compatible with Windows 98." It then goes on to explain that because Microsoft is no longer supporting W-98 they too have bailed on it.

I use my home PC for only basic stuff like surfing the web (only dial-up because I live way out in the boonies, so speed is not important) and so far W-98SE and this oldish Pentium III Dell have been fine.

So now my options seem to be:

1) upgrade to XP or something else ($$)
2) use the on-line version of Turbo Tax (slow due to modem, and don't know how user-friendly it is)
3) borrow a laptop with XP or W2k (but not sure if I will be able to get it to talk to the Web, since it may not have the correct modem)
4) go back to doing it all by hand (shudder)
5) not file my taxes at all (will I be able to ride rollers in prison?)

If you have any better ideas let me know...

Louis

dave thompson
04-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Well, it may not be quite that bad (yet) but what going to be merely a PITA this weekend has turned into a major hassle.

On my way home tonight I finally got around to buying the latest version of Turbo Tax so I could do my taxes. I've been using it for ages with no problems. So I load the CD and wait. Up pops a menu that says something like "We have detected that your operating system is Windows 98. Turbo Tax 2006 is not compatible with Windows 98." It then goes on to explain that because Microsoft is no longer supporting W-98 they too have bailed on it.

I use my home PC for only basic stuff like surfing the web (only dial-up because I live way out in the boonies, so speed is not important) and so far W-98SE and this oldish Pentium III Dell have been fine.

2) use the on-line version of Turbo Tax (slow due to modem, and don't know how user-friendly it is)
3) borrow a laptop with XP or W2k (but not sure if I will be able to get it to talk to the Web, since it may not have the correct modem)

Louis
C'mon, be avant-guard and spend $500 for a new computer and come out of the stone age! Even I, the kindly old curmudgeon, has XP on his computer and bought my wife a new computer with Vista.

Louis
04-05-2007, 11:51 PM
C'mon, be avant-guard and spend $500 for a new computer and come out of the stone age! Even I, the kindly old curmudgeon, has XP on his computer and bought my wife a new computer with Vista.

But Dave, that's $500 I won't be able to spend on bike stuff !!!

I think I just found the simplest solution. Tax Cut, which I used to use ages ago, still works for W-98 and they claim that it imports all the info it needs from last year's forms, even if last year was Turbo Tax.

Sucessfully avoided upgrading this old rig yet again !

Louis

dave thompson
04-05-2007, 11:56 PM
But Dave, that's $500 I won't be able to spend on bike stuff !!!

I think I just found the simplest solution. Tax Cut, which I used to use ages ago, still works for W-98 and they claim that it imports all the info it needs from last year's forms, even if last year was Turbo Tax.

Sucessfully avoided upgrading this old rig yet again !

Louis
Last year's forms are so 2006!

There's been a few changes since last year.

William
04-06-2007, 05:39 AM

Louis

I hate to say this but.....get a mac. TT on Mac no problemo.

I know that doesn't help you dollar wise, but I had to get it off my chest. Ahhhhh, I feel better now. ;)

Good luck!

William

vandeda
04-06-2007, 06:15 AM

Louis

Louis, the online version is basically identical to the cd version. I typically do my taxes by hand, and sometimes I'll do them quickly with something like Turbo Tax to double check my work. This year I got lazy and decided to just use Turbo Tax to file my taxes. I started with a cd version, but wound up filing with the online version and they were basically identical.

Now, the only thing is I don't know how fast or slow it will be with a modem. You can try and see and if it doesn't work, abandon doing it online.

Or maybe find a trusted friend with a faster connection and do it online on their computer?

d

Tom
04-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Does it actually fail or does it just throw the panel at you to warn you away? I used a version of Visio on my machine at home that would crab about 98 but would work just fine after I clicked through.

Chad Engle
04-06-2007, 08:57 AM
If all else fails, pay someone else. Cheaper than a new computer!!

Avispa
04-06-2007, 11:01 AM

Well Louis,

You know, there is no law that says one has to pay taxes if privatelly employed!!! See this film: America: From Freedom to Fascism

But, if you decide to file anyway... Why not do this at work? After hours? just remove the files and program from your work PC when you are done....

A.

93legendti
04-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Well Louis,

You know, there is no law that says one has to pay taxes if privatelly employed!!! See this film: America: From Freedom to Fascism

But, if you decide to file anyway... Why not do this at work? After hours? just remove the files and program from your work PC when you are done....

A.
It's a few days past April 1, but I'll assume you're joking.

http://uscode.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sup_01_26.html
http://uscode.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sup_01_26_10_A_20_2.html

Avispa
04-06-2007, 12:43 PM
It's a few days past April 1, but I'll assume you're joking.

http://uscode.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sup_01_26.html
http://uscode.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sup_01_26_10_A_20_2.html

No I am not joking...

See the documentary as it explains things better than I could. Again, no where on those explanations at Cornell or in the Constitution it specifically says that a privatelly employed indiviual must pay taxes!

In this case, the IRS (as other government agencies) is working with a technicality to make something as believed to be true...

No more comments on my part on this issue!

10-4 ?

93legendti
04-06-2007, 01:00 PM
If you read Title 26 and understand English, you see that income, even if privately earned, is taxable. It is included in gross income and not excluded.

"Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, gross income means all income from whatever source derived, including (but not limited to) the following items:"

Try not paying and see what happens. You will join every other tax protester in jail--heck, you might even get a cell next to Richard Hatch.

http://uscode.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sup_01_26_10_A_20_1_30_B_40_I.html

http://uscode.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sec_26_00000061----000-.htmlhttp://uscode.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sup_01_26_10_A_20_1_30_B_40_III.html

BTW, just because something is not in the Constitution, does not mean it is not legal. There is no law in the Constitution providing that you have stop at red lights, right?

djg
04-06-2007, 01:50 PM
You may be able to rent a laptop or desktop for a day or weekend--it's a little spendy for a day, but likely far, far less expensive than buying a new machine. It's at least worth calling around.

Of course, you might just call a few pals and ask whether you can come over and use somebody's machine some evening--lots of folks have several computers in the house and might be glad to oblige.