PDA

View Full Version : New Wheelset Suggestions

Matt-H
04-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I ride a Pegoretti Fina and would like to purchase a new wheelset under $600. Presently, I am riding Campy Montreal rims laced to Daytona hubs. I ride Eastern Pennsylvania roads, am 155 lbs. and want a lighter wheelset that will be stiff and good for climbing but reliable. LBS is pushing race x lites and Campy Zondas get some good feedback. I've read that handbuilts with Open Pro or Velocity rims laced to Record hubs can come in lighter and cheaper than many production wheelsets while retaining the same ride quality. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ken Robb
04-05-2007, 06:33 PM
I have a set of OP rims on Chorus and another on Record hubs and they work fine. I also have a set of semi-aero Spinergy SR3 that also ride well but I don't go fast enough to get much aero benefit and they are slightly more sensitive to my oft-encountered side winds so I don't ride them much.

chrisroph
04-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Your present wheels sound solid. I really like nucleons/neutrons. They are strong, light, and ride great. I have 3 sets, 1 clincher and 2 tubies. I got the clinchers new and the tubies used. One set came from this site and one came from RBR. They can be found used in the $4-450 range.

Too Tall
04-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Want a sexy custom wheelset for about that? Talk to Nimble and look at their spider wheelset. The rim extrusion is a custom Velocity and hand built by the clever folks at Nimble. David (owner) will talk you thru the design process...no extra cost and you can get them with campy hub body. Enjoy.

Louis
04-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Totally OT, but I wonder what the record is for the time between a forumite's original registration and his/her first post...

CNY rider
04-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Want a sexy custom wheelset for about that? Talk to Nimble and look at their spider wheelset. The rim extrusion is a custom Velocity and hand built by the clever folks at Nimble. David (owner) will talk you thru the design process...no extra cost and you can get them with campy hub body. Enjoy.

TT I just happened to be looking at those on the Nimble website the other night.

Do you know what hubs they build them on? That info was not readily apparent on their site.

Thanks.

PS to the OP I have a front wheel that Mike Garcia made with a Spider rim and a Speedcific hub, radially spoked. Very light, has stayed true for 2 years.

Matt-H
04-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Louis - you were not supposed to notice that. A new wheelset would be a suitable trophy for such a record, I think.

Thanks to all who have so promptly provided their comments.

weisan
04-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Based on your weight...Cane Creek Volos or the older Chronos if you can find em'.

dirtdigger88
04-05-2007, 07:26 PM
if you are a campy guy-

chorus hubs - DT 1.1s- ergott or jeremy as the builder

you will be WAY under the $600 mark and WAY better

these (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=27501&page=1&pp=15&highlight=smokin+hoops) were less than $600

you are welcome

Jason

christian
04-05-2007, 07:27 PM
A certain gentleman who frequents this board built me a set of Record hubs laced to a set of Velocity Aerohead/Aerohead OC rims with Sapim Race spokes and brass nipples. They are the bees knees. Can't recommend them (or him) highly enough. I ride mine on a Palosanto, but I bet they'd work on a Fina Estampa, too... :)

EDIT: Yeah, it's ErgoTT.

- Christian

Serotta PETE
04-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Give Peter White a call in NH. He is a good wheel builder and is also very informative.

Jeremy is another good source (send note to SMILEY) for info and his e-mail.

Joe Young also builds wonderful wheels.

I like the OPEN PRO and the DT rims but there are many good ones out based on your weight. Also place a WTB (when you narrow the selection) on the forum.

PETE