PDA

View Full Version : Bike New York

rdparadise
04-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Anybody have any opinions or experiences they'd like to share regarding Bike New York?

This year it is on Sunday, May 6th.

The wife and I are considering tandeming and staying the night before for a night on the town. Any recommendations for lodging in the area? I've reviewed their list and will check out some of them as well. Their website is at www.bikenewyork.org/

I've always wanted to do the ride, at least once for the experience. Additionally, another local friend that I ride with is considering it for his wife and himself as well. Hey, maybe we could get some forumites together for a photo op before the ride?

Thanks for any and all suggestions/information.

Bob

Ps. Early registration ends Friday, April 6th.

csm
04-05-2007, 06:18 PM
I've done it 3x. it is a fun ride. be prepared to go SLOW! we stay on staten island. real easy to get to from PA and even easier to get home from. was talking about riding it this year and even have a source for VIP tickets. don't think we're gonna do it tho. it is definitely a ride that should be done at least once.

Bruce H.
04-05-2007, 06:33 PM
I did the first 5 boro ride in the 80's. Rode the front and enjoyed it immensely. Not many riders that year. I redid it with my sister in mid pack a few years later and wound up having my rear wheel taken out in North Central Park resulting in two broken ribs. Only good point was the idiot destroyed his front wheel. From my viewpoint there are far too many inexperienced riders doing the 5 boro and therefore I will not do it again. It is a great way to see NYC. If cannot ride the front go slow and be very careful of the many throngs around you.

Kevan
04-05-2007, 07:44 PM
and regular plain-old pedals. Cages optional.

And I've never done it. Watch out, you've got all levels of talent out there.

dauwhe
04-05-2007, 08:18 PM
I did it once, and greatly enjoyed it. It's amazing to be riding through Midtown on 6th Ave, with 30,000 other bikes and no cars.

Wearing sneakers is a good idea. You may be walking for long periods of time due to traffic.

I'd agree that everyone should experience this once!

Dave

dschlichting
04-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Well, to correct one poster here, the first 5BBT was in 1997 --and I have worked them all. Currently, my job is a so-called supercaptain, responsible for the marshal teams on the route from 110th Street to the Bronx side of the Madison Avenue Bridge.
You get everything and everybody on this event from, ahem, professionals like ourselves, to those whose accomplishment is to ride in a straight line.
You have to accept backups and congestion not only caused by the talent issue noted above, but also due to the fact that you have several places of compression, e.g. from 4-5 lanes on 6th Avenue to 2 lanes in Central Park. In addition, I don't remember what is the climb from the FDR Drive and Shore Parkway to the 59th Street and VZ Bridges, respectively, but again, a backup is inevitable, never mind the gawkers.
Pre registration will be mandatory, and no unregistered riders will be allowed onto the VZ Bridge. (long post 9/11 story about that.)
Suggest you wait along 6th Avenue and join in after the front package passes.
If you see a white Falcon with yellow Kirtland handlebar bag when you make the left turn at 135th Street onto the Madison Ave. Bridge, that'll be me. (the Serotta is not allowed out for this event.)

OldDog
04-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Well, to correct one poster here, the first 5BBT was in 1997 --and I have worked them all. .)

? Is there more than one NY tour?

I rode this in 88 or 89.

Sniped from the 5BBT website:

Ride the Commerce Bank Five Boro Bike Tour!

May 6, 2007, marks the 30th anniversary of the Tour through the five boroughs of New York City. Join us for this exhilarating ride, the largest recreational cycling event in America.

97CSI
04-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Did it the spring after 911. It was horrible. Think there was a reported 40K riders that year. We stood next to our bikes and waited and waited and waited. First at the start. Then at the WTC site. Then at southern end of Central Park. Then at the first bridge (longest wait of all ~an hour). You get the drift. Do it once for the experience, if you have to. Best part of the ride was taking the ferry.

christian
04-06-2007, 09:03 AM
The Transportation Alternatives Century in early September is a good alternative if you want to do a smaller ride that covers a lot of ground in NYC. Many fewer riders (maybe a few thousand), and the streets are not closed, but the route is fun.

Hoboken Biker
04-06-2007, 09:05 AM
The 5BBBT is wonderful everyone should do it, just don't in any way shape or form think it's a real bike ride. It's a TOUR. Think about stopping at a deli & getting a bagel & coffee, photo ops in the Park, in Staten Island right at the end the amount of bikes lined up in front of a couple of bars is hilarious. Serotta stays home I ride the Surly fixie. If you are bringing the tandem you might be able to get right up in the front of the start line w/ Cousin Brucie, they usually have a 'special' bike section.

Kevin
04-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Its an "event" not a "ride". Thousands of people, some in clown costumes, and some with radios the size of a mobile home. It is alot of fun. Leave the car on Staten Island and take the ferry over in the morning, that way your ride ends on Staten Island and you can drive home without competing with the 40,000 riders that are trying to get on the ferry and back to Manhattan to get their cars/train. In addition, you have to cheat the morning of the ride by riding up Broadway, which runs parallel to Church Street, and cut over 5 or 6 blocks past the starting line. You then sit on the side street and when the professional cycling team that leads the ride comes by you cut in behind them and ahead of the 40,000 lunatics. This way you ride the streets of Manhattan with the pros.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Thousands of people, some in clown costumes, and some with radios the size of a mobile home.

So you will be there, Kevin? ;)

I just registered myself and my daughter. We have no expectations except to have a good time. But I'm taking the pepper spray and billy club . . . just to be on the safe side in case we encounter Kevin! :eek:

BBD

dschlichting
04-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Duh, typo, first 5BBT was in 1977. Nathan's was the first sponsor and some of us still have the orange t-shirts we all got. About 250 participated in that one, and the locations of the rest stops is obvious.
Kevin has it right for people who drive to the event: go to Staten Island. In the past, the Manhattan bound boats in the morning have been jam packed. There should be one additional boat operating in the morning.
The most that have ever been on this event is 32,000 --that's in Manhattan. By the time you get to Staten Island, you probably have a count somewhere in the low to mid 20-thousand. Deduct the drivers like Kevin and you probably take just over 20,000 on the ferry back to Manhattan over the course of 6 hours. There are 2 ferry boats normally in service at this time and Bike New York charters the rest of the fleet.

Kevin
04-07-2007, 05:01 AM
So you will be there, Kevin? ;)

I just registered myself and my daughter. We have no expectations except to have a good time. But I'm taking the pepper spray and billy club . . . just to be on the safe side in case we encounter Kevin! :eek:

BBD

BBD,

I thought that clown picture was going to remain in our private collection. Since you decided to publish, I am bringing back the picture of you, Kevan, Sandy, Smiley and myself. By the way, what are you looking for in your bib?

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
04-07-2007, 07:57 AM
. . . I'm surprised by your memory lapse here. EVERYONE knows MY favorite color is yellow and that's me on the left. But I do have to compliment you on your cool sunglasses. :p

BBD