PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Mayor wants to develop citywide bicycle network

Ozz
04-05-2007, 11:05 AM
This sounds good...let's hope it doesn't hit too many roadblocks.

Mayor wants to develop citywide bicycle network (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/transportation/310384_bike05.html)

More bike lanes and street enhancements
By ANGELA GALLOWAY
P-I REPORTER

Seattle would more than double the number of its bicycle lanes and add other bike-friendly street enhancements to nearly 400 miles of roadways under a plan released Wednesday by Mayor Greg Nickels.

"It sets a new benchmark in the country," said David Hiller, advocacy director for the Cascade Bicycle Club, which helped develop the project. "We took every plan that was done (in other cities) and we said, 'We want to do better,' and I think we have."

The goal is to develop a 452-mile citywide network of bike lanes and routes over 10 years. Seattle currently has about 67 miles of bike routes and lanes.

"It's about getting results," Hiller said. "It's all going to be done on a timeline, and that makes it realistic."

Still the plan is not a binding commitment to specific changes. Indeed, some details were left to be decided later, said Gregg Hirakawa, a spokesman for the city Transportation Department.

Rather, the plan is intended as a "road map" to ensure that cycling needs are factored in to the city's routine and major transportation work, he said.

As well as new bike lanes, the plan calls for new signs and street markings on existing streets to map out suggested routes. For example, on some busier streets without room for separate lanes, city crews would create "sharrows" -- or markings to show bicyclists where they should ride while warning drivers to expect the traffic.

Officials project that the plan would cost $240 million in 2007 dollars.

"The goal of this effort is simple: We want to make Seattle the best and the safest city in the nation for bicycling," Nickels said in a statement.

The "Bridging the Gap" property tax levy voters approved last year would pay for $27 million of such improvements, officials said. Beyond that, the city plans to seek federal grants and other funding to supplement city spending.

Most of the improvements would be phased in as city crews do routine paving and larger construction projects.

"We are in it for the long haul," Nickels said.

More than one in three Seattleites use a bicycle for commuting or recreation, according to the city. Over the past year and a half, 750 people attended public meetings on the bike plan, 1,600 responded to an online survey about it, and more than 100 e-mailed their comments.

RIDE YOUR BIKE

Seattle released its Bicycle Master Plan on Wednesday. Within three years, the proposal suggests:

Supplementing the city's existing 26 miles of bike lanes with 37 more miles of bike and climbing lanes.

Creating 106 miles of bike routes on existing streets with signs and other markings to help cyclists navigate safely and efficiently.

Marking 53 miles of roadways to help cyclists and motorists share lanes.

Marron
04-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Embedded in the text is the fact that there is only identified funding for $27 million of the proposed $260 million in improvements. Even more significant is that this has only been vetted/reviewed by the various advocacy groups supporting improvements. Seattle has a long history of failing to push cycling related upgrades through when confronted with local opposition. Local opposition in these cases has typically been businesses that view the improved bike infrastructure as conflicting with ease of access to their sites.

Probably more significant is the potential for sticker shock by voters/rate payers. We also have a history, some very recent, of undeciding to spend dollars on projects that have been through an agonizingly thorough public review process.

On a more positive note; this is a huge win for the Cascade Bicycle Club which has convinced the mayor to expend some valuable political capital for cycling related investments. It's also worthwhile pointing out that the King County Executive, Ron Sims has become an avid cyclist and supporter of cycling improvements. He has been negotiating for the acquisition of a major rail corridor for trail use and preservation of the transit right of way. This is a very ambitions transaction that entails conveying one of the local airports to the port of Seattle and providing the railroad with additional transhipment capacity throught the Cascades. All this only bodes well for the future, but that future may be remote.

Climb01742
04-05-2007, 12:07 PM
seattle also has a thriving bio-diesel effort as well.

Karin Kirk
04-05-2007, 12:14 PM
And a city-wide commitment to cut greenhouse emissions.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5028946

old_school
04-05-2007, 12:17 PM
seattle also has a thriving bio-diesel effort as well.

Meanwhile, Boston remains totally bicycle unfriendly, and can barely decide if and how they want to approve the final leg of an international bike race. :crap:

Ozz
04-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Read the fine print.
understood....but at least it's being talked about.

On a more positive note; this is a huge win for the Cascade Bicycle Club which has convinced the mayor to expend some valuable political capital for cycling related investments. .
This is probably a more interesting point....since he won't get his tunnel to replace the viaduct....gotta luv Seattle politics. ;)

I just hope they end up with a bike lane on the 520 bridge replacement... :beer:

Climb01742
04-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Meanwhile, Boston remains totally bicycle unfriendly, and can barely decide if and how they want to approve the final leg of an international bike race. :crap:

agree. i've often thought how great it would be to try to make boston the most bike friendly city in the country.

72gmc
04-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Local opposition in these cases has typically been businesses that view the improved bike infrastructure as conflicting with ease of access to their sites.

This is probably an issue everywhere, but certainly in Seattle where there are so many industrial zones along the waterways. Then there are the local dimbulbs, like the member of the Wallingford chamber of commerce who was quoted in the paper recently as saying that a certain busy avenue should not be re-laned for better safety because it is "not a bicycle or pedestrian roadway."

I'll be happy if only part of Nickels' paths become reality.

grey poupon
04-05-2007, 01:13 PM

big shanty
04-05-2007, 02:21 PM
The new bike lane from Renton to Seattle up Rainier is awesome. If even a few of the major conduits around the Seattle area got upgrades like that, I'd be stoked.

LesMiner
04-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Minnesota has a little more going for it. The state passed a law for creating state wide "Bikeway". Always subject to funding, but I have seen in the last couple of years tunnels under and bridges over busy highways for bicycles. They have also provided a path under many highway bridges crossing a river or stream to provide a means to cross the highway. Many of the older bike paths have been repaved. Many new roads and highways have a wide shoulder, 10 feet or more, for bikes. Here is the website.

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/getpub.php?type=s&year=current&num=160.265

bironi
04-05-2007, 02:47 PM
I took note yesterday when Mayor Nichols sited Vancouver BC as the model for Seattle bicycle plan. They did study several cities bike networks. It is great to see the largest bike club in the nation working on an important issue. I wish they would have begun this type of program when I was still a member.