PDA

View Full Version : rain jacket (pro)

merckx
04-04-2007, 08:47 PM
I need some guidence on a pro style rain jacket (not the PVC type). I'm looking for something that doesn't flap in the breeze, breathes a bit, is water proof, and is lightweight. Assos Climajet and Gioradana Monsoon come to mind but I don't have any experience with them. What else is there available? What about rain vests? This will be for spring and summer use.

grey poupon
04-04-2007, 09:10 PM

sbornia
04-04-2007, 09:21 PM
I have two different Sugoi jackets; one's a light windbreaker with mesh armpits, the other has a heavier, coated fabric for serious wet weather, with pit zips for breathability. I find the fit to be more tailored than PI's stuff, and prices are great compared to Assos. Waterproof and lightweight may be tough to find in the same jacket, but maybe that's what you get when you step up to the higher-end brands.

Here's Sugoi's latest model, among others: http://www.sugoi.com/prod.php?p=SUG71101U&k=59975

pdxmech13
04-04-2007, 10:07 PM
rapha.........best fitting and really waterproof.

AgilisMerlin
04-04-2007, 10:14 PM
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=bergamo+rain+jacket&category0=&submitSearch=Search

jeffg
04-04-2007, 10:21 PM
is wonderful. The only product of theirs worth the $$$ atmo. It is that good and much more durable than previous iterations ...

zank
04-04-2007, 10:26 PM
I have a Hincapie wind vest and wind jacket that I got through our club. I think they are available in stock colors. They are both made from Windtex, except for the back of the vest which is mesh.

With its mesh back, the vest is not waterproof of course. But it does keep your chest nice and toasty on a chilly day. It's very light and stows in a back pocket easily.

The jacket is all wind-tex, keeps me warm down to about 45 degrees, and is very good at keeping you dry on rainy days. But the Windtex is a little heavier than most rain capes and is a little bulky for storage in a pocket.

They each have their quirks, but I like them.

edouard
04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
http://www.gorebikewear.com/index2.html

Kirk007
04-04-2007, 10:39 PM
make some nice ones. They've changed their line up since I bought mine - I have one made of Pertex - lightweight and waterproof. I think they've gone to Entrant on their most expensive model, which is a bit heavier.

Simon Q
04-04-2007, 11:38 PM
is wonderful. The only product of theirs worth the $$$ atmo. It is that good and much more durable than previous iterations ...

I have had a few and the Assos is leagues better than any I have tried.

Jack Brunk
04-04-2007, 11:39 PM
I have had a few and the Assos is leagues better than any I have tried.
Totally 100% agree.

bshell
04-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Are you guys praising the clear one that Assos makes (climajet, I think?) or another type of rain jacket?

Never seen one in person and I'm curious what you like so much about them. Had a shop recommend it but they don't carry it ($pecial order$ make me nervous).

Thanks.

R2D2
04-05-2007, 04:07 AM
Showers Pass are the best I've seen.
http://showerspass.com

Climb01742
04-05-2007, 05:00 AM
+1 on showers pass. very light and really does keep rain out. good value, IMO. and the orange color, while not terribly fashionable, is incredibly visible, which on a dark rainy ride at least gives me the feeling of adding to my safety.

dauwhe
04-05-2007, 06:53 AM
+2 for Showers Pass Elite. Proven on innumerable long rainy rides (including the 400k where it essentially never stopped raining). Also a nice outer layer in the cold (which I couldn't say about the Burley it replaced). Nice trim fit--no flapping. And seems to breath rather well.

Dave

sspielman
04-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Spiuk. Etxe-Ondo quality, Specialized price.

coylifut
04-05-2007, 09:11 AM
both Showers Pass and Sugoi make a jackets out of the same material as the clear Assos model. The fabric was developed for operating room use. All 3 are completely breathable and waterproof. The down side is they are far from durable and tear easily.

rpm
04-05-2007, 09:51 AM
I bought a nice Adidas model on sale at Nashbar. It has all the features you want for cycling, including waterproof breathable fabric, slim fit, dropped rear, and even an offset zipper so it won't bunch up on top of a zippered jersey underneath. Excel sports should sell these, too.

TriJim
04-05-2007, 10:19 AM
I was looking the Rapha rain jacket in February, but they placed them on sale and within a couple hours there were no more XLarges. I even had Rapha looking through their store inventory and none available.

Instead I bought the new Assos ClimaJet Breaker. The newer material is advertised as more resistant to wear (and tear). Works and fits well. Good luck. :beer:

Jim B.

Ozz
04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Are you looking for something light you can roll up and put in your pocket, or something heavier?

I have yet to find a lightweight jacket that is actually waterproof....if I get caught in the rain, I want a jacket that will shed most of the water, and then layers underneath to keep warm. I've used a Pearl Izumi Zephrr jacket with OK results, and currently use a Descente Element jacket. The Element doesn't roll up as compactly as I would like, but it has good ventilation.

For true riding in the rain (which I avoid like the plague), I have a Etxe Ondo XCR goretex shell I picked up on ebay for $50. It has a nice trim fit and a long tail. Cbike.com has some Etxe Ondo Egural goretex jackets on ebay for about $200. They look a little bulkier than the XCR.

Good luck.

Shopa
04-30-2007, 09:31 PM
The Showers Pass stuff is the best. I live in the Northwest and I see it everywhere. I have a new Elite 2.0 that I saw in Outside Magazines gear of the year awards issue. I have been also riding their Century jacket for 2 years. Super light and waterproof. It rocks.

rasterdogs
04-30-2007, 09:46 PM
+3 for Showers Pass. This is the best piece of raingear I've owned. It is well vented and the fabric seems to breathe well.

My only criticisim is the zipper is a bit of a hassle to engage.

-JimD

wasfast
05-01-2007, 08:34 AM
The Elite 2.0 is eVent material. I bought one of these and also the clear Assos like jacket. The best news on the clear jacket is that it's $100 instead of $200 plus. The Elite is very nice when it's cold and raining. I wouldn't wear it above 45 deg F though.

scrooge
05-01-2007, 08:39 AM
But I'd be curious if Too Tall or any of the other tall folks have found something that fits? And even better, that can go in a pocket?

Bill D
05-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Are you looking for something light you can roll up and put in your pocket, or something heavier? [...snip...]

Are any of the jackets recommended here small enough to roll up to put in your pocket? Or is Ozz saying none of those lighter ones are waterproof? I keep hearing great things about the Showers Pass jackets, for instance, but I can't tell whether those are too bulky for that.

I live in the desert, so I have very little experience with rain jackets, but I may try some trips to the mountains where I would actually need a jacket. :D

Thanks,
Bill

davep
05-01-2007, 01:45 PM
The Showers Pass Elite is great, but is not really small enough to put in a jersey pocket. I'd also like to find a rollup that is actually waterproof.

vaxn8r
05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Nothing is waterproof. If it is you're going to sweat so much you're going to be soaking anyway. The best lightweight, breathable, pocketable rain jacket that will keep the downpours down to a minimum is the Assos. It is expensive but I've tried so many others and spent more on things that don't work as well figuring that out.

I ride in the rain so much that mostly I just wear layers that breath with no rain jacket. Seriously, the first thing is to invest in really good fenders with long flaps. That keeps the road crud off you. After that, what's wrong with being wet?

chuckred
05-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I need some guidence on a pro style rain jacket (not the PVC type). I'm looking for something that doesn't flap in the breeze, breathes a bit, is water proof, and is lightweight. Assos Climajet and Gioradana Monsoon come to mind but I don't have any experience with them. What else is there available? What about rain vests? This will be for spring and summer use.

I bought a Showers Pass based on input in this forum and reviews in other places. Haven't had a reason to wear it yet...

But, it looks really nice, I would expect to have no problem putting it in a jerseypocket. I did try it on, and they do run tight... I'm not that big - about 5'9 or 10'' and 150 lbs - the medium is not loose at all! Fits about what you'd want for a cycling jacket to feel like.

After last year's Triple By Pass, I changed my theory from "you'll get soaked no matter what you wear because you'll sweat" to "I want something warm and bomb proof for long cold miserable pouring rain descents!"

Ozz
05-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Nothing is waterproof. If it is you're going to sweat so much you're going to be soaking anyway....
That pretty much sums it up....I really need to invest in some fenders. ;)

Mud
05-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Absolutely the best piece of gear we own. Windprood, retains heat, waterproof and fits in a shirt pocket. I wear it in the winter as an outer layer with a shirt and underlayer and it keeps me warm. Love it.

chuckred
05-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Nothing is waterproof. If it is you're going to sweat so much you're going to be soaking anyway. The best lightweight, breathable, pocketable rain jacket that will keep the downpours down to a minimum is the Assos. It is expensive but I've tried so many others and spent more on things that don't work as well figuring that out.

I ride in the rain so much that mostly I just wear layers that breath with no rain jacket. Seriously, the first thing is to invest in really good fenders with long flaps. That keeps the road crud off you. After that, what's wrong with being wet?

That was actually always my theory, and I held to it until I got soaked on a 15 mile descent in a driving rainstorm with temps inthe 40's... Now my theory is to allow the soaking to take place on the climb, but have a waterproof/windproof shell to put on for the decent. A soaking wet windbreaker doesn't do any good, but a waterproof one (in my mind at least) will help keep new cold water out and let you at least maintain some heat - sort of like a wet suit....

Have no idea if this will work, but it's my theory and I'm sticking to it until I prove it wrong!

wasfast
05-01-2007, 07:25 PM
I bought a Showers Pass based on input in this forum and reviews in other places. Haven't had a reason to wear it yet...

But, it looks really nice, I would expect to have no problem putting it in a jerseypocket. I did try it on, and they do run tight... I'm not that big - about 5'9 or 10'' and 150 lbs - the medium is not loose at all! Fits about what you'd want for a cycling jacket to feel like.

The Elite series won't fold up to fit in your pocket....and it's not intended to. It's for severe conditions. The Century model is more what would work for that.

vaxn8r
05-01-2007, 09:51 PM
That was actually always my theory, and I held to it until I got soaked on a 15 mile descent in a driving rainstorm with temps inthe 40's... Now my theory is to allow the soaking to take place on the climb, but have a waterproof/windproof shell to put on for the decent. A soaking wet windbreaker doesn't do any good, but a waterproof one (in my mind at least) will help keep new cold water out and let you at least maintain some heat - sort of like a wet suit....

Have no idea if this will work, but it's my theory and I'm sticking to it until I prove it wrong!
That's why I keep the Assos Microclima in my pocket. 9 out of 10 times I don't use it but every so often you just need to pull it out.

goonster
05-01-2007, 10:11 PM
What is a "pro type" rain jacket?

Anytime I saw pros riding with a jacket in the rain it was a clear PVC type with half the sleeves cut off. That's what I use when it's not cold. Fifteen bucks at Performance or the LBS. Throw it out when it's more gray than clear. Trimming the sleeves to the elbow helps a lot with ventilation.

That said, I'm saving my pennies for a Showers Pass Elite. For those cold wet rides. No, it won't fold into a jersey pocket, but it's the best. Period.

ClutchCargo
05-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I have the Sugoi Defiant jacket, which I'm not sure they still make. but it's fitted, breathes reasonably and is waterproof. great jacket. Sugoi knows bad weather and how to deal with it, imo. sportsbasement.com had some on sale for under $100 too.

I have two different Sugoi jackets; one's a light windbreaker with mesh armpits, the other has a heavier, coated fabric for serious wet weather, with pit zips for breathability. I find the fit to be more tailored than PI's stuff, and prices are great compared to Assos. Waterproof and lightweight may be tough to find in the same jacket, but maybe that's what you get when you step up to the higher-end brands.

Here's Sugoi's latest model, among others: http://www.sugoi.com/prod.php?p=SUG71101U&k=59975

Bill D
05-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I was afraid that the Assos would be the one everyone thinks is best. It's just so expensive! And sure, I definitely understand that fenders are the way to go for someone who often rides in the rain. But for me, I'm only riding in the rain if I'm on a trip somewhere away from home (e.g., up to Colorado) because it hardly ever rains in Phoenix, and I'm just looking for a way to stay a bit warmer on those rare occasions. Maybe I'll just try one of the cheap PVC jackets with lots of layers underneath.

Thanks for the info from those more experienced in wet weather than I.

-bd

Ozz
05-02-2007, 12:49 PM
I was afraid that the Assos would be the one everyone thinks is best. It's just so expensive! ...-bd

$191 delivered on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ASSOS-Climajet-Jacket-XL_W0QQitemZ110118712641QQihZ001QQcategoryZ137007Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

or for $40 more (plus tax) from your local shop.

"Ouch" either way..... :cool:

Bill D
05-02-2007, 03:57 PM
"Ouch" either way..... :cool:

Ouch, fo' sho, especially when I live in a city where we get ~7 inches of rain per YEAR. :D

rwsaunders
05-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Based upon the feedback from some of you and my personal limit of financial pain, I purchased a Showers Pass Double Century jacket. It appears to be very well made and the folks at Veloclothes.com were quick to ship. Hopefully by making this purchase, I've put the whammy on rainy rides for the rest of the Spring and Summer.

chuckred
05-06-2007, 09:41 PM
The Elite series won't fold up to fit in your pocket....and it's not intended to. It's for severe conditions. The Century model is more what would work for that.

Just fold it, roll it up, shove it in middle back pocket... doesn't seem to be a problem? It does stick out, but it's in there nice and tight...

wasfast
05-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Ok, it's POSSIBLE but I'd consider it pretty FAT compared to most peoples expectations for a stowable jacket.

Ozz
05-07-2007, 07:56 AM
no relation to seller:

Etxe Ondo ECR on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/EXTE-ONDO-XCR-GORE-TEX-CYCLING-JACKET-BLUE-SIZE-XL_W0QQitemZ250112317949QQihZ015QQcategoryZ42334QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

this is the one I have, but mine is yellow....

chuckred
05-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Ok, it's POSSIBLE but I'd consider it pretty FAT compared to most peoples expectations for a stowable jacket.

Maybe I misunderstood the criteria... I bought mine for the conditions you described - extreme - either very cold or cool and very wet. So, with that in mind, I didn't really expect it to be truly stowable in the sense of a very small compact and light package to be used "just in case". If that's what someone's looking for, you're right, this probably isn't the best choice!

I don't expect to use mine all that often (although the way this spring is shaping up, who knows!).

Shopa
07-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I use a Showers Pass Protech jacket...it is clear/transparant and weighs next to nothing. Vented, waterproof and breathes well. The Showers Pass rep told me it weighs just over 5 ounces and is made of a stretchy membrane. Paid $100 and compares favorable to the Assos jacket at $250. It's awesome!

shaq-d
07-28-2007, 03:40 PM
thread returns from the ded.. anyway i just gotta say.. the OP asked for a pro's rain jacket, but not the PVC one. well, judging from the races i've seen, the pro rain jacket IS the PVC one...