PDA

View Full Version : On One Mary handlebar - comments?

d_douglas
04-04-2007, 11:24 AM
In my quest for a wide, flat bar, I have come across On One's 'mary' bar. Weird looking and retro, but it also looks very comfortable (and it's wide!)

Does anyone have any experience with one? If so, what did you think? I am interested in them, but hesitant to shell out full retail $$ without some proof. MTBR guys had stellar things to say about them - what about Forumites?

Geez - it seems like I am becoming a mountain bike enthusiast again. Scary.

Kevan
04-04-2007, 11:54 AM
just some interesting inexpensive options:

http://www.bikesnyc.com/catalog.php?item_type=Handlebars&item_cat=COMPONENTS

Mud
04-04-2007, 12:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/On-One-Mary-Handlebar-Handle-Bar_W0QQitemZ290099811742QQihZ019QQcategoryZ56194Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I really like the bar since I ride almost all road the hand position on a straight or convential MTB bar bothers me. I use soft Haro grips and life is good. It is a poor man's Jones Bar I guess.

ols
04-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I've got the jones bars (on my geared 29er) and the mary bars (on a singlespeed 29er) and the mary's are very close to the same angles. The mary bars are also very comfortable (for me anyway) and a little lighter (and less expensive) than the jones though they dont have the additional hand holds of the jones. Also, the slight bow forward (just beyond the stem) gives a little more room for your kneees when standing to climb compared to a flat bar (I stand more on the 1x.) They work well for me.

rpm
04-04-2007, 01:45 PM
I have Mary bars on a 650b conversion bike, and I find them very comfortable, much more comfortable than mountain bike flat bars. The wrist angle is very natural and the bar sorts of splits the difference between a flat bar and an albatross bar. It's a little more aggressive than the albatross and better for climbing out of the saddle.

72gmc
04-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Hey Mary users, what kind of shifters are you using? Are they comfy for on the bar/underbar shifters (i.e. first edition RapidFire shifters I have)?

Thanks for asking the q, d_douglas. Been wondering about these myself.

rpm
04-04-2007, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=72gmc]Hey Mary users, what kind of shifters are you using? Are they comfy for on the bar/underbar shifters (i.e. first edition RapidFire shifters I have)?

Shimano bar ends mounted on Paul's thumbies. They're easy to reach and work well. I don't see any reason why the Rapid Fires wouldn't work fine also. (I'll post pictures of the bike soon--it was the one that was going to be the fixie before I sold you my wheel). Ron

ols
04-04-2007, 03:08 PM
No shifters on my Mary bars. I'm using Paul Thumbies on the Jones bars. Paul's makes great stuff.

d_douglas
04-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Does anyone have one that they are selling? I suppose this should go to the classifieds...

mosca
04-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Someone posted these Bontrager bars on MTBR awhile back. Similar to the Mary bar, but I think they pull back a little more, and are much cheaper IIRC. Something else to consider...