PDA

View Full Version : WTB Chorus Economically

rdparadise
04-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Guys:

I'm looking to purchase a 2007 Chorus grouppo. I've searched the internet and the best prices I've seen are Lickton's for around $1100. Anyone know if this group can be had for less? If so, let me know.

Thanks,

Bob

mschol17
04-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Has an 8 piece Chorus groupset for $908. I don't know about shipping, etc.

I think Lickton's matches the price of advertized groupsets, so maybe check that out, too.

Bill Bove
04-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Does Licktons provide support for the local century?

You know where I'm going here but sometimes you get more than just some shiny metalic objects for your dollar.

Now continue on about how you don't need the LBS to change your flat tire.

72gmc
04-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Economy Chorus is found by using the code word "Centaur."

In all seriousness, I don't think of Chorus and economical as a likely duo, at least not in the 2007 version. Centaur is probably very very close and about 20% less.

Dave
04-04-2007, 09:32 AM
$1100 is a decent price.

Although I've got a couple of great deals from 11 speed in the past, their shipping has gone way up and you may get dinged with a 4% duty a few weeks after receipt of your order. You also get no instructions or factory packaging with the parts and essentially no warranty. I think I'm done dealing with them.

I got charged duties on tires, chains and shifters that should all be duty free. I refused to pay UPS the duty and wrote a letter, quoting the appropriate sections of the tariff law. The duty was charged because 11 speed used the generic term "bicycle accessories", instead of a detailed description of my items.

While Centaur is a good value, I'd have upgrade the shifters to Chorus to avoid the 1-cog at a time Centaur thumb button. IMO, the escape mechanism is a distinct downgrade in performance.

bostondrunk
04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
11speed has the price, but their selection is limited, for example, many crank lenghts are not in stock, etc.

stevep
04-04-2007, 01:09 PM
comment on this.
sometimes you might take a shot at a local dealer. no rant here but a lot of bs might be avoided by spending a few more bucks up front.

give them a shot anyway. many guys try their best to work with customers and then actually make the bikes work too.

evoracer
04-04-2007, 01:13 PM
While Centaur is a good value, I'd have upgrade the shifters to Chorus to avoid the 1-cog at a time Centaur thumb button. IMO, the escape mechanism is a distinct downgrade in performance.

My Centaur shifts three down, fyi.

petitelilpettit
04-04-2007, 01:29 PM

The 2007 Centaur shifters shift one at a time, similar to Shimano :crap:
I have a set of 2006 Centaur shifters on my crit bike and I can throw three cogs with ease. My friend changed out his 2007 Centaur shifters and put on some 2005 Chorus shifters to keep the ability to dump gears.

Dave, I agree with you. The escape mechanism is a downgrade that takes away from Campagnolo's reliability. Plus, with the Centaur shifters, my mechanic was unable to get the shifting to work correctly.

Pettit

BoulderGeek
04-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Total Cycling has Campagnolo Chorus 2006 10sp Group Without Hubs= $853.88

Campagnolo Centaur 2007 Ultra-Torque 10sp Groupset= $664.12

Just sayin'.

A.L.Breguet
04-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Close-out 2006 Chorus,
Or pay full price for 2007 Centaur .
ATMO

97CSI
04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
While Centaur is a good value, I'd have upgrade the shifters to Chorus to avoid the 1-cog at a time Centaur thumb button. IMO, the escape mechanism is a distinct downgrade in performance.Also, the Chorus lever operates on ball-bearings while the Centaur uses sleeves. Both are excellent, but the Chorus will go about twice the miles between overhauls and stay precise the entire time.

soulspinner
04-05-2007, 05:40 AM
Also, the Chorus lever operates on ball-bearings while the Centaur uses sleeves. Both are excellent, but the Chorus will go about twice the miles between overhauls and stay precise the entire time.

+1, 12000 miles later my chorus is still flawless(only 1 right shifter spring replaced)

Bobbo
04-05-2007, 08:15 AM
$1100 is a fair price for 07 Chorus. Why not give your LBS a shot at matching that number?

Dave
04-05-2007, 08:18 AM

The post is regarding NEW 2007 groups. The 2007 Centaur and lower level shifters only shift 1 cog at a time with the thumb button.

97CSI
04-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Call Clive (the owner) at Glory Cycles (866-544-2112). Tell him exactly what parts you want and ask him for his best price. I have always done very well with him upon doing so.

cmg
04-05-2007, 10:31 AM
you can look at the roadbikereview classified ads. if you don't mind used. check this one in the parts section http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=1890&cat=16

rdparadise
04-05-2007, 08:44 PM
After looking around, checking some of the sites offered and calling my lbs, my lbs will do it for $1150. Certainly not the $1100 clams I was looking to beat but giving them the business is good for them and our community. Thanks to those that suggested contacting my lbs. For the extra $50 I can feel good about supporting them and bringing it in for any adjustments, etc.

At this point they get to build it up for me and sell me some other components as well.

Bob

Bill Bove
04-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks, Bob for giving the LBS a shot and accept my apologies for being a bit snarky. When you buy locally you help support not only a naighbor trying to feed his family but your also helping to maintain that firetruck that may come to your house some night and putting a text book in your kids hands. Good customers make for good bike shops and versa visa :)

obtuse
04-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks, Bob for giving the LBS a shot and accept my apologies for being a bit snarky. When you buy locally you help support not only a naighbor trying to feed his family but your also helping to maintain that firetruck that may come to your house some night and putting a text book in your kids hands. Good customers make for good bike shops and versa visa :)

and you make sure that people like bill, pucci and myself are really fat even during winter time.

where's my foie gras at?

obtuse

Bobbo
04-05-2007, 11:08 PM
After looking around, checking some of the sites offered and calling my lbs, my lbs will do it for $1150. Certainly not the $1100 clams I was looking to beat but giving them the business is good for them and our community. Thanks to those that suggested contacting my lbs. For the extra $50 I can feel good about supporting them and bringing it in for any adjustments, etc.

At this point they get to build it up for me and sell me some other components as well.

Bob

Good on ya; it's a fair price and you're supporting the local guy. It's a great gruppo; you'll love it.

soulspinner
04-06-2007, 07:52 PM
My lbs guy and I have it worked out. I give him all the business I can and hes extremely fair and he builds a nice set of wheels too. I send him people and he takes very good care of me. If I show up with his favorite beer at closing time he never complains.....