PDA

View Full Version : recovering tips and knowledge.

Dave B
04-04-2007, 07:28 AM
On monday I rode my first metric century, and I have never gone so far on a road bike. I know many of you do this about every other day, but for me it was an enormous accomplishment. Headwinds my entire way home (Indiana must have the strangest weather in the known universe) and when I got home I obviously was spent.

On Tuesday I went out for a mountain bike ride of about 15 to 20 miles and the climbing was the most difficult part as my legs felt dead, also my arse felt like I had slid down a sand paper fire pole.

So there is the background. In June I am taking a trip to Pisgha for an extended mountain bike vacation with buddies. Pisgah makes the "hills" in Indiana look like speed bumps. While I kow my fitness needs to get better, what do I need to do at night to replenish/rebuild my body for the next day of riding.

What products help the body rebuild the best/fastest so i can not be wasted the next day. (Legal products being the only ones I want) :rolleyes:

I have heard a bit about sport legs that reduce the lactic acid levels, and in all the magazines there are loads of different drink powders.

What do you guys do that work? I have time to try a couple of different things before I go.

Thanks for the tips! :beer:

Prez

Kevan
04-04-2007, 07:58 AM
using terms such as "recovery" and "chocolate milk". This place is teeming with "What-To-Do's".

Oh, and about that chocolate milk suggestion, we got into a discussion months back about inexpensive solutions to recovery and this elixir was touted as the best by far. And my own testimonial supports it.

Frankly, there are only a few things you can do to recover for the next day's romp: pound down a big tall glass of chocolate milk immediately after your ride; have someone massage your toes on up to your lower back; limit your alcohol intact; eat sensibly; and get plenty of sleep.

Also, join the rest of us. The only way this gets easier is to do the miles more often. I've done back-to-back century rides and on the second day my legs protest every spin of the crank for a couple miles until they have warmed themselves up. Hey, it's spring and everyone is feeling your pain as they get themselves back into shape.

stevep
04-04-2007, 08:02 AM
congrats man. good effort.

i use cytomax recovery drink or hammer recovery drink.
i thk they help. i am not convinced the brand matters.
also helps to lay down and put your legs up at a 45 degree angle against the wall for 15 minutes to let 'em drain. massage toward the heart while there.
also helps to take a little nap after a 3hr + ride or at least lay down for awhile.

a lot depends on how old you are...and how experienced you are..takes longer to recover as you get older.
days off are key after hard efforts for an older guy 50+...kind..or super easy spin...like 13mph easy... after a hard ride.

Too Tall
04-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Kev = Coach :) Good words.

I'll add that specificity in training will help prevent you from overreaching during your getaway.

Have fun and don't buy any magic potions.

Birddog
04-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Endurox works for me. After a particularly tough day maybe a double. I always follow it with a Grande Cappucino with some sugar mixed in. That also seems to help. I tried the Chocolate milk, but that was just too much lactose for me unless in a pinch.

Birddog

coylifut
04-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Steve P has it. A good meal, followed by a solid nap. It doesn't have to be long - a 1/2 hour is good enough. I also find a short walk (15-20 minutes) several hours later helps. I usually take my two dogs out. I don't know why, but a a walk through the woods is 2x beneficial.

soulspinner
04-04-2007, 10:56 AM
I found the walking helps too. Yesterday I felt like total sh** after my ride(wicked winds blowing me around) and I walked around after my 45 minute snooze. Much better...

Jack Brunk
04-04-2007, 11:05 AM
I add one thing. Before you go to bed, wrap each thigh with ice packs for 15 minutes. It works wonders and has really cut down on my leg soreness after long rides.

Good job Prez

Dave B
04-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the tips. I know now what a metric feels like; how does a century feel? Besides the 38 miles longer. I knew I would get that answer! :rolleyes:

Buddies are trying to get me to do a MS150 75 miles for 2 days in a row from Cincy to Dayton. I think....

With all of the goos and powders in the mags, it is interesting more are not mentioned. While there were a few, I am curious if most of that stuff is marketing or just things we normally eat with out the hype.

Chocolate milk sounds great!

Now, a serious question about that. Is it the sugar, antioxidant of chocolate, and the protein? I know it tastes great, but does it really do the trick? I will be tickled if it really is the cat's meow. Sorry 5th grade humor working. God I love spring break! 83 yesterday and now it is snowing! I kid you not!

Indiana sucks!

What about drinks during the ride? Simply water, I usually try to drink a diluted orange gatorade. Any other good ones?

coylifut
04-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I'll add one more thing too. Get a foam roller and roll-out the legs just prior to bed. you'll sleep far better and won't wake in the middle of the night with wonky leg syndrome.

bcm119
04-04-2007, 01:10 PM
I'll add one more thing too. Get a foam roller and roll-out the legs just prior to bed. you'll sleep far better and won't wake in the middle of the night with wonky leg syndrome.
You've recommended one before and I went to Big 5 to buy one a while ago. It was $30! For a piece of friggin styrofoam. I refused to buy it, but I guess I should have. Is there anything that would work as well that isn't $30? I went to a crafts store full of candles and glitter and stuff, but the foam pieces they had were the crumbly kind.

LesMiner
04-04-2007, 01:17 PM
So many good tips for after the ride. Keeping hydrated during the ride is also important for recovery. Anything from water to expensive sport drinks will do. It also keeps cramps under control. You may not need to replinish food for energy on a metric but on a century you will definitely need something. Again a variety of products in the form of gels or bars will do. Even a home made trail mix would help but you may need to stop to eat it.

Kevan
04-04-2007, 01:18 PM
would be much like massage. A flexible sole would allow the toes and the rest of the foot to flex and stretch. Walking would keep the tissue in the legs and butt warm and moving, allowing circulation to continue, flushing out any residual lactic acid. Good call.

petitelilpettit
04-04-2007, 01:19 PM
You've recommended one before and I went to Big 5 to buy one a while ago. It was $30! For a piece of friggin styrofoam. I refused to buy it, but I guess I should have. Is there anything that would work as well that isn't $30? I went to a crafts store full of candles and glitter and stuff, but the foam pieces they had were the crumbly kind.

It's not under $30, but I have "The Stick", which is basically a PVC pipe with plastic rollers on it that move freely, being bounded by two plastic grips. I use it whenever my legs ache before I go to bed, and in the morning I have minimal pain in my legs.

Pettit

slwbutnofred
04-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Mr. President,

You don't say how old you are, but age is certainly a factor in recovery. I started riding at 47. I'm now 58 and though I am in infinitely better shape than 11 years ago, I certainly have seen a slowing down in recovery.

At the risk of repeating some of the above: on rides longer than an hour, it would be a good idea to use a specific beverage. I like Cytomax--but of course it's very personal. As I've gotten older, I've started to use a Recovery drink after a hard, longer ride...which for me would be 60 miles or longer. For this I like Enervit Recovery Drink. It's expensive, but for me it has worked wonders after those kinds of rides. It's essential you take in the recovery nutrition no more than 30 minutes after you've finished the ride. I feel so much better the next day when I do this.

You'll find the more often you do longer rides (whatever that might be for you), the easier they'll become and the quicker you'll recover. They change your body in some inexplicable way and move you to a new level. If you can, try to do a long ride more than once a week. It will help change your body's response.

One more thing: stretching--before and after a ride will aid in recovery.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

stevep
04-04-2007, 01:21 PM
also note
chocolate soy milk is a good recovery drink also.

swoop
04-04-2007, 01:22 PM
5 shots tequila, craigslist, 300 roses, a 'girlfriend experience', and a nap.

that should keep ya going.

on a more serious note: get out of your shorts and kit as son as you're off the bike. got out of those shorts immediately. towel off and change. there is a window of time immediately after you ride where you need to take in some real food. also eat real food during the ride rather than goo (that stuff is for the last hour).in the absense of real fod drink pedialite or slimfast.
take a nap as soon as you can after the ride. your body releases growth hormone during the nap. it's nature's dope.

get a light massage. even if you give it to yourself. spin an easier gear whenever its possible... rather than bog down. think about needing your legs for both days.

enjoy what's going on around youand have fun with it. if your legs feel hoorible after the ride go buy a couple of big bags of ice and fill the tub and jump in for five minutes and the follow with a hot shower and a nap.

Ozz
04-04-2007, 01:31 PM

Ozz
04-04-2007, 01:32 PM

you could probably make one out of pvc pipe, foam pipe insulation and duct tape.... ;)

swoop
04-04-2007, 01:37 PM
you could probably make one out of pvc pipe, foam pipe insulation and duct tape.... ;)

rolling the hooker from craigslist over the tender areas works but.... you need two additional people at her head and feet.. so foam is the cheaper route.

also.. don't do anything out of your routine. do this stuff as you train.

Dave B
04-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Oh I am really young only 31, so I am not even close to prime.

I think mostly my issue lies with over weight, lack of miles, and to be honest lack of actual cycling kowledge. I have read several books for cycling, but much of the tips are for racing.

I know I need more weight off and more miles in my legs, so I am honest about that. This is actually happening already. My biggest fault here is the winter. Spring to fall I drop loads of weight and have some decent fitness. 50 miles rides 3 possibly 4 tiems a week. Winter hits and my activity changes to that of a grizzly bear. Hence the look I achieve. Problem is that as I get educated about fat/fitness and having a child I do not want to be the fat dad. I used to be a really fit athlete, but my ego got too big and my fitness suffered. ironic huh.

anyway maybe it is simply shape. My legs do not have the resolve this early in my....restart. As I work towards better fitness, I want to approcah this with intelligence not, hey work until you pass out and then rest for a couple of days.

Anyway, the process has started earlier for me and my body is just pissed that iam making it work again. Boy is it in for a shock! :D

swoop
04-04-2007, 02:38 PM
having a coach write a base miles program .. to work within your life demands.. will make every hour you're on the bike mean somethng towards fitness and form.

rather than just squeezing in miles, getting hungrier, eating more, and never improving-ish.

Dave B
04-04-2007, 02:52 PM
having a coach write a base miles program .. to work within your life demands.. will make every hour you're on the bike mean somethng towards fitness and form.

rather than just squeezing in miles, getting hungrier, eating more, and never improving-ish.

Not a bad idea at all, but does someone who simply rides for the fun of riding a bike really need a coach? While I completly see the benefit of someone a heck of a lot smarter guiding me, I am simply wanting to be able to ride long distances 50 to 70 miles more frequently. So I need advice how to "recover" after each ride, which is what I have been given by many excellent people.

Do you think a coach makes sense...for an average Joe?

Another thing I am curious about. In allof the books and with what Swoop said, when you go out each ride, do you have a specific goal such as; workign on climbing, speed, maintaining HR levels, etc.

Iam the only one who goes out with the, "Hey let me see where my bike can take me/I hope I freakin' survive the distance goal?" :D

If I am honest about my riding it is simply for pure joy. Secondary I would love to lose weight so i am not the next cover for the sequel to Heft on Wheels. I was told on an earlier thread that riding at a lower average speed will help burn fat better then a gut busting speed. Any truth to that one?
And last, Spandex makes me feel sexy! What other sport do you get to wear as much spandex as us cyclists! :beer:

yeehawfactor
04-04-2007, 02:54 PM
i like the "don't stand when you can sit, don't sit when you can lay down" saying. but that's just because i like to take naps.

learlove
04-04-2007, 04:08 PM
"What products help the body rebuild the best/fastest so i can not be wasted the next day"

recovery:
1.Drink water
2. Drink a beer - eat alittle pasta, chicken, veggies and a scoop of ice cream.
4.laugh with friends/family hit on women/wife - possibly get luckey
5. go to bed/have sleepy time
get up next day and ride - repeat steps 1 to 5.

coylifut
04-04-2007, 04:46 PM

I paid $10 for mine. I don't remember where I got it, but a quick Google search turns up this

http://www.power-systems.com/nav/closeup.aspx?c=3&g=1299&Foam/Rollers

swoop
04-04-2007, 05:00 PM
i like the "don't stand when you can sit, don't sit when you can lay down" saying. but that's just because i like to take naps.

ride for fun .. no, no coach needed. riding to improve fitness, recovery, and to lose weight.. having a coach in the broadest sense means an informed voice to guide you in a direction you want to go...
just one session to nudge in the right direction to help you have information to achieve your goals... where there is the absense of the information and experience.... a broadly defined simple base program will make things more fun if you have goals you are trying to achieve.. and you seem to have the goals.

Ozz
04-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Not a bad idea at all, but does someone who simply rides for the fun of riding a bike really need a coach? ...In allof the books and with what Swoop said, when you go out each ride, do you have a specific goal such as; workign on climbing, speed, maintaining HR levels, etc.
When I first got serious about cycling, I got a book called "Serious Cycling (http://www.amazon.com/Serious-Cycling-Ed-Burke/dp/073604129X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9948742-4096643?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175723818&sr=8-1)"....seriously....by Ed Burke.

Lots of good info about physiology, diet, training, equipment, etc.

The main thing I took from it was that on "hard" days, go really hard, and on '"easy" days go really easy. Otherwise you don't improve fitness or get adequately rested.

My edition is from 1990 or so, but it looks like it was updated in 2002

Good luck! :beer:

Kevan
04-04-2007, 05:08 PM
keep us advised as to what you're doing and we'll tell you what you're doing wrong and what we think you should be doing. Send beer as repayment.

Dave B
04-04-2007, 05:45 PM
keep us advised as to what you're doing and we'll tell you what you're doing wrong and what we think you should be doing. Send beer as repayment.

Well, that is a wonderful idea.

I'll do my best to keep you informed as to what I am doing.

I will also look to some books or call CTS. It seemed to work for Lance, although his weight loss goals might be different then mine. :rolleyes:

chuckroast
04-04-2007, 07:54 PM
One of the great pleasures of riding a century is knowing that you can eat any darn thing you want that evening and confidently label it as "recovery food" to your spouse or SO. I've had the greasiest chicken fried steak with gravy and fries (heck, I put gravy on the fries) after a ride then went to bed early, and was ready for the next morning's ride. You'll be uncomfortable for the first mile or so but your legs will warm up and life will be good. Enjoy the ride.

Birddog
04-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Mr President, Don't waste your money on CTC. This is the program you want. Just send me a sixer of some Belgian Ale (recovery drink) for my advice.

Birddog

http://davefoley.com/bikeracing/negacoach/index.html

AgilisMerlin
04-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Amino Acids