PDA

View Full Version : I've noticed a trend

pdxmech13
04-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Why is it that i see several people riding new bikes with old helmets,shoes, and my favorite... old neon clothing. thinking about spending $ for a new bike and then riding in some old crummy clothes dosn't sound fun to me. When tights fit like kahki's there is a problem. when did machine become more important than man ?

atmo
04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
when did machine become more important than man ?
when? 'bout 1964 after mario savio raged against
the machine after it was found to be odious atmo.

Kevan
04-03-2007, 10:12 PM
and level-best abuse, they'll start working on their wardrobe. One of my pals finally ditched his fuchsia jacket.

Ti Designs
04-04-2007, 12:10 AM
when did machine become more important than man ?

The very day the machine was invented...

slowgoing
04-04-2007, 12:16 AM
spending $ for a new bike and then riding in some old crummy clothes dosn't sound fun to me

To each his own.

Personally, I could care less what people wear when they ride.

milhouse
04-04-2007, 03:21 AM
To each his own.

Personally, I could care less what people wear when they ride.

As long as it doesn't smell of B.O.!

LesMiner
04-04-2007, 07:44 AM
You put everything into your dream bike. While you patiently wait for it to arrive your thoughts are solely on the first ride. That first pull into the wind out in front of your friends as they wonder at your new ride. So which is more important the bike or the clothes? A newer faster bike or a fashion statement? Is the new bike just a accessory to go with the clothes?

RPS
04-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Your old -- their classic?

OldDog
04-04-2007, 08:02 AM
I'm still wearing wool arm and leg warmers by Protogs from the 70's. They work and they are lasting. I have a pair of tights too, but the butt been stitched so many times it's too lumpy.

Suggestions for good wool tights, anyone?

lemondsteel
04-04-2007, 08:12 AM
I guarantee that if you have ever been a victim of hit and run from behind while on your bike, you'll wear a neon jersey. I have.... and I still buy neon yellow jerseys. Better safe than sorry!

BumpyintheBurgh
04-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Why is it that i see several people riding new bikes with old helmets,shoes, and my favorite... old neon clothing. thinking about spending $ for a new bike and then riding in some old crummy clothes dosn't sound fun to me. When tights fit like kahki's there is a problem. when did machine become more important than man ?

Be sure to bring this question up at the next meeting of the Style Police or the Bicycle Fashionistas.

victoryfactory
04-04-2007, 09:19 AM
That's me, I don't know why, but I ride
a Legend Ti with DA-10
and I wear 5 year old shoes, helmet and jersey.
$20. frayed Nashbar tights complete the look.
Maybe It's because I can't see myself (without a mirror)
but I can see the bike.

Love those green neon jerseys, They say DON'T HIT ME!
To all the moron drivers on their cell phones....
It's sort of like those colorful but poisonous tree frogs in the rain forest.

VF, get over it

rockdude
04-04-2007, 09:23 AM
When did wearing the latest appeal have anything to do with have fun riding a bike?

old_school
04-04-2007, 09:33 AM
I keep a bike at work so that, even on days when I don't commute, if I have a spare 1/2 hour or hour I can take a break and go for a quick blast. I will throw on cargo shorts, an old tee shirt, hell I might even be wearing flip flops. But when I get out there I smile, clear my head, forget about work and all its stresses. To me that is what cycling is about. How I look really isn't a concern, it is about how I feel.

dauwhe
04-04-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm afraid to get new shoes. The ones I have are very comfortable, and the cleats are in a good spot. I have a newer pair, and tried to put the cleats in the same position, but my knees get sore every time I ride the new pair.

By the way, the shoes I like are cheap Shimano MTB shoes.

Dave

DRZRM
04-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah, Smartwool, I also have a great pair of Swobos, but I think those are no longer available (they are at least five years old, probably closer to ten).

http://www.amazon.com/SmartWool-Synergy-Taper-Leg-Pant/dp/B000NQIZ4Y/ref=sr_1_4/002-6390514-8980863?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1175698620&sr=8-4

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/product.jsp?id=SMM101&prfc=5&sc=CBM-06231&PartnerName=Run%20The%20Planet

I'm still wearing wool arm and leg warmers by Protogs from the 70's. They work and they are lasting. I have a pair of tights too, but the butt been stitched so many times it's too lumpy.

Suggestions for good wool tights, anyone?

Ginger
04-04-2007, 10:03 AM
As long as their shorts aren't see through...they can wear whatever they dang well please.

Get out of your comfort zone, wear some fushia.

And you know...I think I've seen those colors making a return run recently, so what you think is old, may be new.

Hey, Swobo's is back in business too!

pdxmech13
04-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Most of you are missing my point. I am not talking about the latest digs from abercrombie or the gap. but clothing that has the same technology you were looking for in a bike. better wicking, lighter weight, cooler in the summer breeze. A helmet that will actually work when you pull some hot shot move. Neon isn't the problem as bright colors are best with low lite conditions its neon from 1992 that fits like a wet paper bag.

grey poupon
04-04-2007, 10:39 AM
This has been a subject of concern for me for quite some time. The issue of cycling enthusiasts hitting the streets with their attire in disrepair, un-period correct livery, and bright obnoxious colors is personally offensive to me.

When I'm out cyclo-touring on my Berthoud Epervier I like to wear a sherlock holmes cap and smoke a tobacco pipe. When I hit the pave on my Cyfac I wear a french-style aviator cap and goggles, possibly a musette on my back and some absinthe in a bidon.

However, when I see cycling enthusiasts on the local MUP, they're always wearing garish outfits, helmets with dozens of vents and plastic shoes that clip into their transmission. Is there some kind of clown car parked outside the MUP, where cycling enthusiasts pour forth like rabbits from a hat? Where do these color-blind and fashion illiterate cyclists come from?

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I'm glad for a forum of like-minded folks who share my opinions.

Ginger
04-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Most of you are missing my point.

What did you expect? Total indignation that people don't go out and get kitted up in the latest when they get a new bike?

Now, if they're wearing a very old helmet that can be a safety issue as that technology has improved but the foam still doesn't age well, but the rest of it?

Grant McLean
04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Most of you are missing my point. I am not talking about the latest digs from abercrombie or the gap. but clothing that has the same technology you were looking for in a bike. better wicking, lighter weight, cooler in the summer breeze. A helmet that will actually work when you pull some hot shot move. Neon isn't the problem as bright colors are best with low lite conditions its neon from 1992 that fits like a wet paper bag.

I feel ya man.

As a group, people who are into cycling don't care about clothes.
Wander around the Vegas bike trade show, and you'll understand
of which I speak.

Personally, I'm always super-impressed by the Italians at DeRosa
and Pinarello, in their sharp modern tailored suits, looking like a
million bucks.

Over the last few years, i've decided to dress like a million bucks
on the bike. I've steered off the pro-kit look, unless i'm in my
R.Sachs gear. I guess it's silly, but I'm sort of making a point, that
i'd like to stand apart from those who don't seem to give 2 seconds
thought what they put on. (Fushia Telecom jersey & mercatone
yellow shorts, sure they go together!)

g

davids
04-04-2007, 12:00 PM
I see plenty of discussions here about clothing - Shorts, shoes, gloves, jerseys...

I'd expect that there's a similar number of cyclists interested in the latest bike tech and latest clothing "tech" - And sometimes they're even the same people.

Grant McLean
04-04-2007, 12:40 PM
And sometimes they're even the same people.

and sometimes they dress the same :)

g

weisan
04-04-2007, 01:00 PM
The entire generation has pretty much lost its bearings ever since Cippo retires...

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/cannondaleim03/Thumbs/01_giro_italia_lg_24.jpg

http://www.raisport.rai.it/pub/static/1600/20020511GiroCipollini.jpg

http://www.bikecal.com/tdf99/cipo-caesar.jpg

LesMiner
04-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Check this out, the rider in the news story got hit and run from behind. His flashing light made no difference.

http://wcco.com/crime/local_story_093221247.html

Did the driver target him due to fashion? Or just because he was there?

BURCH
04-04-2007, 01:24 PM

I have to agree with you just a little bit in terms of wearing better quality garbs. In terms of style, I could care less. I prefer basic black shorts and solid colored jerseys...but I do agree that I like my cycling clothes to be as advanced as my bike. Once you get yourself into some good wicking, breathing, or warm weather clothes...it is tough to go out for spin in a cotton t-shirt or long johns.

Same thing applies to fly fishing, bowhunting, backpaking or any other outdoor activity I partake in. Quality clothes will keep you out there longer and that is all that matters to me in terms of my clothes.

I will say that I rarely see a cyclist in Louisville that doesn't dress as snappy as their bikes. There are tons of rainbow riders here as I like to call them (those that have matching colored shoes, shorts, gloves, jersey and sometime helmet). And the aparrel is always top shelf it seems.

BURCH
04-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Check this out, the rider in the news story got hit and run from behind. His flashing light made no difference.

http://wcco.com/crime/local_story_093221247.html

Did the driver target him due to fashion? Or just because he was there?

That is a horrible story. Can't believe that other motorist hit the bike and kept going as well. I would think that the driver was distracted or under some influence. Whoever the driver was, if they are not caught hopefully they wake up every morning here on out with heavy guilt to bear.

grey poupon
04-04-2007, 01:40 PM

evoracer
04-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Are shoes and clothes old enough to be pre-neon ok with you? My old, all leather Sidi's go with my '86 all steel ride with Ultegra 9spd group...

pdxmech13
04-04-2007, 10:13 PM
9 spd would be wrong gen.

mosca
04-05-2007, 10:46 AM
When I bought my first road bike about ten years ago, I neglected to buy a jersey at the time. The next day I showed up at my friend's house, ready for the inaugural ride, resplendent in my lycra shorts with my loose cotton tee shirt flapping in the breeze. My friend took one look at me and said "you look like you stole that bike!" So now I make an effort - don't want to get hassled by the police, fashion or otherwise.

grey poupon
04-05-2007, 12:17 PM

evoracer
04-05-2007, 12:54 PM
9 spd would be wrong gen.

Quality old steel frame, modern components. Not a purest and I like being odd man out amongst all the plastic on a group ride.

tch
04-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Clothes don't make the man. The man makes the clothes.

Bill Bove
04-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Is the oppisite also offensive? I saw a guy enjoying a ride on his new Trek 1000 road bike. Good for him! Welcome to the sport. He was wearing Asso's shorts and jersey and some nice sidi shoes. Way, way more expensive stuff than I ever wear on a bike that cost less than most here's wheelset. All I thought was please come by my shop sometime.