PDA

View Full Version : So I used too much glue...

Velociotis
04-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Despite the myriad of sage advice on this forum and the park tools website, I used too much glue on my rims tonight. I know the cat trying to get my attention throughout the ordeal was not helping and I did manage to keep any cat hair out of the bonding surfaces, but basically I tried the glove-smear technique and it is not for me. The brush worked much better on the tires.

Enough said. Here's my question: Knowing that I have used too much glue on the rims, now what? Do I keep moving forward and apply another two THIN layers? Do I retreat and scrape and start over with 2-3 THIN layers?

Thanks.

stevep
04-03-2007, 05:53 AM
stick to one master, grasshopper.

get to the guy who started you on this journey and ask him.
you will get 75 answers from this group and you will end up drowned in a sea of glue....with everything stuck except yr tire.

Too Tall
04-03-2007, 06:44 AM
If you ain't racing...ride it. This is not rocket science...except when we are pushing for the greatest possible performnace out of the wheel / tyre. Agree?

William
04-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Next time,

Make sure the room is well ventilated. You shouldn't have any more problems...or pounding headaches. ;)

William :D

dirtdigger88
04-03-2007, 07:58 AM
how much glue DID you use?

or should I say how many tubes???? :D

I just finished cleaning two rims that I put too much glue on a couple of years ago- now Im down to my last set to clean- SOMEONE ELSES work this time- not mine :p

Jason

chrisroph
04-03-2007, 08:55 AM
let a layer (or 2 if a conti) dry on the tire, put a bonding layer on the rim, and mount wet. Don't sweat it, ride it.

Velociotis
04-03-2007, 09:06 AM
First I was very dissapointed in the quality of buzz one gets (or doesn't) from the glue. Not like the old plastic model glue!

I used most of one tube, it got me thick coverage on both rims and a more proper thin layer on the tires. Not enough left in the tube to do a second coat on the rims. (I do have another tube.)

Thanks for the comments.

Too Tall
04-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Babe...that's not too much glue....do what Christoph said. You'll be otay.

link
04-03-2007, 09:33 AM
An unwavering focus on that sublime hairpin turn at 25 mph shouldn't be interrupted by the thought of your last glueing job.

Besides, self flagellation for the sake of becoming a better cyclist is tradition ...and necessary.

:D

Too Tall
04-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Post of the Day :) See above. We could hang.