PDA

View Full Version : It's the little things

TimB
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Today on my ride to work, passing by some landscaping crew working on my side of the road, dude on a biga riding lawnmower....

And he stops and pauses the blades until I ride by.

He sure didn't have to do that, and I sure didn't expect it, but it was nice.

dbrown
04-02-2007, 03:51 PM
It's funny you would mention that. Yesterday on my ride, it happened twice! The first time I didn't realize that he had stopped the blade for me until I heard it start up again after I had passed him. When it happened the second time, I made sure to say thank you. I don't tink I've ever had anyone do htat before. It was indeed nice of them.

Ginger
04-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Some guys do, some guys don't. It is nice when they see you and turn the blades off.

93legendti
04-02-2007, 04:13 PM
On my rides around here, I'd say that it is the rule more than the exception.

Louis
04-02-2007, 04:19 PM
About a year or so ago, as I was driving down a road at about 50 mph, some guy was mowing his lawn on the other side of the road, also on a big riding mower. The lawn was elevated bout 4 feet above the level of the road. As I go by I hear a "clank" from the front left corner of my car.

When I got to where I was going I take a look around and find a big chunk of the left front plastic wheel cover missing. This is a really tough plastic. Just a bit higher, and that thing would have been into the side window, or worse, the side of my head (since the window was partially open)...

Louis

Hardlyrob
04-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Mowers will throw things a rather amazing distance if everything lines up just right. I always stop the blades if there is a car / person / bike / horse going by in the "line of fire". One of those things that only takes a second to aviod a BIG problem.

I've seen decent sized rocks hurled 100+ feet from my 22HP tractor - with the guards in place. Our dog's tennis balls are really fun some times (ka-WHUNK - found one!)

It IS nice when people do that and you're on the other end. Kind of like the few drivers who will wait, and hold traffic so you can make a left. Doesn't happen often, but real nice when it does.

Cheers!

Rob

Ozz
04-02-2007, 04:25 PM
When I worked as a greenskeeper in college, they drilled it into us to shut down whenever a golfer was near...those are the guys paying our wages. Show some respect....

I suspect most landscape pros have a the same philosophy.

Besides, most folks have the same reaction as the OP...they didn't expect it, they appreciate it, and they smile and say thanks. Everybody feels good when you do the right thing. :banana:

DarkStar
04-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Very decent of him, I've been struck by rocks and debris on more than one occasion by lawnmowers. Turn my head away when passing one.

Kevan
04-02-2007, 05:37 PM
a gardener is only dangerous when he's behind the wheel of his truck. These guys zip through the back streets trying to squeeze in as many clients as possible during their day. Watch out for those rake and shovel handles hanging out the side as they blow by. But as far as their behavior while taking care of someone's lawn, I don't think I've ever had a situation where they didn't stop and give me the leeway.

RPS
04-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Neighborhood landscapers on their large mowers stop frequently, but the County guys with the really big tractors usually don't. Although they could cause some serious damage along the side of a highway, they normally only wave as we ride by.

soulspinner
04-02-2007, 06:08 PM
in general, simple consideration dont cost nuthin and feels good....