PDA

View Full Version : Broken 240s flange

Geoff
04-02-2007, 03:29 PM
I went to put on a new set of rubber on my DT 240s, RR1.1 wheel set and as I was pumping up the rear wheel the drive side flange broke at the 2 adjacent spoke holes. Has anyone else had this happen? They were 32, 3x with no other viable damage to the I have had lots of spokes and rims break but this is the first hub flange I have had break. The wheel was about 3 years old but only has about 1,000 mile or so on it. They were built for me by Joe Young and have never needed to be trued since Ive had them.

Also, what should I replace this with? a new wheel set? relace the rim (still in good shape)? Those white DT wheels posted here the other day looked pretty HOT.

Geoff (couldnt get my picture to post)

atmo
04-02-2007, 03:38 PM
They were built for me by Joe Young and have never needed to be trued since Ive had them.
did you ask joe first?

Geoff
04-02-2007, 03:45 PM
should I? I figured it was too long to make a difference. I will send him an email.

stevep
04-02-2007, 03:47 PM
i think you will find that they will help you with a warranty on that.
probably would be through joe young....
its rare but it happens.
steve

rapid joe used to build wheels that we wholesaled until he moved away. a very good wheelbuilder.

dgauthier
04-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your unpleasant surprise. I'm glad it happened at home and not while riding.

I just don't get the appeal of DT Swiss products. Despite their dear cost, they have a long history of breakage problems extending back to their mountain hubs, and there are reports of their new rims prematurely cracking. Your sensible, conservatively built, and lightly used wheelset should never have had such a problem.

I would contact Joe Young. He has a stellar reputation, and may offer to fix them for you for free or for very reasonable cost. I would further suggest going with Campy or Shimano hubs as replacements, which should provide many years of trouble free service.

gdw
04-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Like dgauthier said, Hugi 240 hubs are over-rated. Call Joe and see if he can help. DT offers a 2 year warranty on their products so you might be out of luck. If Joe is unable to help, call their office -970-242-9232- and add your name to the list of less than satisfied customers.

atmo
04-02-2007, 04:16 PM
...and add your name to the list of less than satisfied customers.
i'm a happy camper atmo.
what caused you to be less than satisfied?

LH2
04-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Bummer - I just ordered a set of handbuilt 240's - DT Revos - RR 1.1 rims.

I hope I have better luck. :)

gdw
04-02-2007, 04:37 PM
The first two generations of their 240 mountain hubs and a long hike on a hot day.

atmo
04-02-2007, 04:40 PM
The first two generations of their 240 mountain hubs and a long hike on a hot day.
ah
my experience is limited to road stuff atmo.

sailorboy
04-02-2007, 05:04 PM
FWIW, I've had two different sets, put about 3,000 or so miles on the first without problems before selling it, have about 750 on the next one and doin fine. Standard build with DT rims; I weigh about 160. If you are wary about going back to them, which is understandable, at least campy now offers a black rear hub to keep the same basic look.

A.L.Breguet
04-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I have to agree. My DT experience is less than wonderful. I'm returning for warranty repair a rear 28 spoke 1.1 240s wheel 'cause the rim has cracks after 6,000-7,000 miles. I'm pretty light at 145lbs.
I'm getting an Open Pro instead of a new 1.1.

Grant McLean
04-02-2007, 06:30 PM

Ya, Cannondale must have got a batch of 240 rear hubs
made on a friday afternoon or somthing. Our shop has
seen cracked shells on more than a few.

g

schneiderrd
04-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I have a set of wheels from Joe Young built with 240 hubs. I bought them at Joe's recommendation as he feels that the Shimano and Campy hub designs are out dated. I am a clydesdale at over 200 lbs and have had these wheels for over three years with no problems. Talk to Joe I think he will help you out.

RPS
04-02-2007, 09:31 PM
I went to put on a new set of rubber on my DT 240s, RR1.1 wheel set and as I was pumping up the rear wheel the drive side flange broke at the 2 adjacent spoke holes. Has anyone else had this happen? They were 32, 3x with no other viable damage to the I have had lots of spokes and rims break but this is the first hub flange I have had break. The wheel was about 3 years old but only has about 1,000 mile or so on it. They were built for me by Joe Young and have never needed to be trued since Ive had them.

Also, what should I replace this with? a new wheel set? relace the rim (still in good shape)? Those white DT wheels posted here the other day looked pretty HOT.

Geoff (couldnt get my picture to post)Geoff, if you've had lots of spokes and rims break, is it possible your wheels are generally just not strong enough for your weight and/or use? Sounds like there may be factors other than a bad hub -- don't know.

SPOKE
04-02-2007, 09:53 PM
i've had great sucess with the road hubs and wheels. i have a pair that Joe Young built for my Sachs and have been very pleased. i also have 3 or 4 pair of the classic build wheelsets that were offered from Quality Bicycle Products about 18 months ago. these are 28 hole with radial lacing on the front wheel. all have performed very well. i even have about a half dozen of the RR1.1 rims laced to various hubs for customers that have proven to be very reliable. all this being said, i do remember several years ago the Hugi hubs had a few issues with the free hub assemblies but other than that i think DT Swiss managed to work the bugs out of the 240 series hubs.

Simon Q
04-02-2007, 10:20 PM
I was just about to order a set of 303's (28/28) with DT 240 hubs/DT spokes rather than the Zipps hubs/Sapim CX Rays becuase I assumed they were much of a muchness and I liked black v silver. Don't want to hijack the post but should I rethink and stick with the Zipp/Sapim combo?

SoCalSteve
04-03-2007, 12:09 AM
ah
my experience is limited to road stuff atmo.

Great success with the road stuff and I am no LITTLE guy.

Steve

Geoff
04-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Geoff, if you've had lots of spokes and rims break, is it possible your wheels are generally just not strong enough for your weight and/or use? Sounds like there may be factors other than a bad hub -- don't know.

Not so RPS. My experience goes back quite a number of years and covers alot of MTB riding, so I have seen lots of wheel failures, but have not had a flange break. Joe built thse for me based on weight (175) and ride desired. I do have another set of these that are just as old. I will be keeping an eye on them. I will let yall know what I hear from Joe of DT.

G

sevencyclist
04-03-2007, 11:19 AM
I have just worn out the rim on my Hugi 240 MTB hub laced to Bontrager rims. I was thinking of rebuilding the wheel with DT Swiss 4.1 ceramic rims, but this thread is making me rethink about whether to go with Mavic ceramic instead. I am even wondering whether I should rebuild with the hub if it's going to fail soon. Hm...

RPS
04-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Not so RPS. My experience goes back quite a number of years and covers alot of MTB riding, so I have seen lots of wheel failures, but have not had a flange break. Joe built thse for me based on weight (175) and ride desired. I do have another set of these that are just as old. I will be keeping an eye on them. I will let yall know what I hear from Joe of DT.

GUnderstood Geoff. I'm a bad judge of this because I'm either relative easy on equipment or I've been riding on overbuilt stuff. I like lots of reliability and durability.

pdxmech13
04-03-2007, 09:13 PM
I just don't get the appeal of DT Swiss products. Despite their dear cost, they have a long history of breakage problems extending back to their mountain hubs, and there are reports of their new rims prematurely cracking. Your sensible, conservatively built, and lightly used wheelset should never have had such a problem.

3 years is not lightly used by anyone on this forum imho

Dt has just within the last 6 months started forging there hubs and not machining them. this was all made possible because of customer feedback and bontrager wheelworks and others. It certainly is a big bummer to find something you like take a crap but on a good note it'll be taken care of for you i'm sure, spare some labor for the wheel build.

Elefantino
04-06-2007, 05:45 AM

My recently departeted Rolf Sestriere rear wheel is based on a Hugi 240 titanium hub. It broke at the flange, too. Snapped clean.

Xyzzy
04-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Great.

I was >< this close to getting a set of Lightweight Ventoux DT (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=4040&CATEGORY.ID=366&MODE=&TFC=) wheels, which have DT240s hubs, but now I'll have to pony up an additional $1100 to get the high speed Lightweight Ventoux (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=1871&CATEGORY.ID=366&MODE=&TFC=) wheels with the Tune Mag 160 hubs.

(Yeah right. And I'm married to, um, Morgan Fairchild! Yeah, that's the ticket!)