PDA

View Full Version : Good wheel builder recommendations in Los Angeles

dgauthier
04-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Anybody know any really good talented wheelbuilders in the Los Angeles area?

SoCalSteve
04-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica.

The gentlemans (wrench) name is Wilbur.

He is excellent! And, for me to say that...As I have really high standards.

He's built a few wheel sets for me.

Good Luck,

Steve

petitelilpettit
04-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Kings Bicycle Store in Seal Beach.

Wheels built by either Matt Thomas or Derek Brayton.

Have handbuilts on all my bikes!

Pettit

Tom Byrnes
04-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I second So Cal Steve's vote for Wilbur (head wrench) at Helen's in Santa Monica. I have a set of Wilbur's wheels.

I would also recommend Diego (head wrench) at Cynergy in Santa Monica. Diego worked exclusively on the high end and racing bikes at Helen's in Santa Monica before being lured away to Cynergy last year. He built the beautiful wheels that are on my Kirk.

The best and most knowledgeable mechanic I know in the West Los Angeles area is Sugen at VeloWorx on Lincoln in Santa Monica/Venice. He has built up four vintage bikes and wheelsets for me and is the person I would go to first with any job.

Good luck,

Tom

Bud_E
04-02-2007, 04:54 PM
I second So Cal Steve's vote for Wilbur (head wrench) at Helen's in Santa Monica. I have a set of Wilbur's wheels.

I would also recommend Diego (head wrench) at Cynergy in Santa Monica. Diego worked exclusively on the high end and racing bikes at Helen's in Santa Monica before being lured away to Cynergy last year. He built the beautiful wheels that are on my Kirk.

The best and most knowledgeable mechanic I know in the West Los Angeles area is Sugen at VeloWorx on Lincoln in Santa Monica/Venice. He has built up four vintage bikes and wheelsets for me and is the person I would go to first with any job.

Good luck,

Tom

I assumed that VeloWorx went under when they closed their store on San Vicente. It's nice to hear that they're still in business. I also recommend Scott at Triathlete Zombies on Santa Monica Blvd. in S.M. ( as a mechanic - I'm not sure about wheel building ).

Since we're sort of on the subject, would you recommend either VeloWorx or Cynergy to do a bike fitting ?

nicrump
04-02-2007, 05:03 PM
troy watson ligero.com

swoop
04-02-2007, 05:42 PM
go to Helen's Santa Monica and ask for Eric the mechanic (he's in the back room behind the main area on the left). He builds wheels for the big boys.... but it's a secret. And by big boys I mean.. d-1 three week grand tour dudes and domestic d-3 guys too.

swoop
04-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I assumed that VeloWorx went under when they closed their store on San Vicente. It's nice to hear that they're still in business. I also recommend Scott at Triathlete Zombies on Santa Monica Blvd. in S.M. ( as a mechanic - I'm not sure about wheel building ).

Since we're sort of on the subject, would you recommend either VeloWorx or Cynergy to do a bike fitting ?

the owner of sweet/veloworx is a friend but i wouldn't get a fit from them. instead go see Nate at in santa monica or John Wike at Cernegy. John is a former national crit champ and is as unpretentious and talented as they come... and NAte has worked hard to become really good at fit. Ernesto Colnago gave him a big thumbs up...

Tom Byrnes
04-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Bud E,

Sadly, the Veloworx website is quite out-of-date. Veloworx in Brentwood did go under and the Venice-based Veloworx is under different ownership than the old Brentwood shop. Sugen, the new owner, is an ex-racer and a former part owner of Bicycle Renaissance in NYC, and, I presume, could do a very good fitting. He knows more about cycling and bikes than anybody I have met in Los Angeles bike shops.

I only know Diego at Cynergy and am not sure he is a fitter.

Helen's in Santa Monica has a Serotta Fit Cycle, but I don't know who there could give you a good, detailed fitting.

If you are willing to drive to Agoura Hills, Ashton Johnson at Sundance Cycles is a great fitter. Ask Jack Brunk.

Tom

swoop
04-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Bud E,

Sadly, the Veloworx website is quite out-of-date. Veloworx in Brentwood did go under and the Venice-based Veloworx is under different ownership than the old Brentwood shop. Sugen, the new owner, is an ex-racer and a former part owner of Bicycle Renaissance in NYC, and, I presume, could do a very good fitting. He knows more about cycling and bikes than anybody I have met in Los Angeles bike shops.

I only know Diego at Cynergy and am not sure he is a fitter.

Helen's in Santa Monica has a Serotta Fit Cycle, but I don't know who there could give you a good, detailed fitting.

If you are willing to drive to Agoura Hills, Ashton Johnson at Sundance Cycles is a great fitter. Ask Jack Brunk.

Tom

um.... they use a calfee fit cycle now. diego is not a fitter. sugen's veloworx is called Sweet and is now on Lincoln in Venice... and he is a sweet sweet man and knows tons... but not a fitter (unless you like your bikes too big) and he hates serottas. scott at tz is an excellent mechanic and very bright guy...not a fitter dude.
there are tons of local guys that give excellent fits... harm (not during season), willard ford , swifty (moved north but is in town sometimes), ron peterson (south bay but rides for cynergy and really good), nate (helens)...
drop me a pm and i'll give you phone numbers.

make sure you like the 'fit' of the guy giving you the numbers!

bcm119
04-03-2007, 01:02 AM
+1 on Ashton at Sundance. He did a great job with my fitting.

gunder
04-03-2007, 03:49 AM
While we're on the subject of socal bike shops, does anyone remember a shop in Torrance called Cycle Connection? I'm talking like mid to late 1980's. They were located right next to the Torrance Airport and I beleive the owners name was Marc Taylor (I think he spelled it with a C). He was an excellent mechanic and built me several great wheelsets. Anybody know what happend to him?

How about another place in the Torrance area, I think it was called Lomita Pro Bikes or South Bay Pro Bikes. They were a Serotta dealer and I think the owners name was Scott?? He was an ex police officer and had worked for Marc then opened his own shop. Anybody know what happend to him?