PDA

View Full Version : bad posture

shinomaster
06-03-2004, 02:19 AM
I wonder if any of you persons suffer from poor posture when off your bike? Do you think cycling is a cause? I've never stood up straight like a Marine, but sometimes after a long ride I have an ever harder time..anyone else? :help:

coylifut
06-03-2004, 08:37 AM
I had bad posture for years. The bike didn’t cause it, underdeveloped skeletal support muscles was my down fall. I have a 15 minute daily exercise routine that I do and now I walk ,and more importantly, sit upright. When I slack on my routine, my posture slips and the associated problems return.

Too Tall
06-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Shinoburpingdragon, a little trick I've picked up from the yogis in my life is to press with the corners of your foot as you walk...this brings a natural awareness to your overall stature...hard to explain it. Give er' a try.

bulliedawg
06-03-2004, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=Too Tall]press with the corners of your foot as you walk...QUOTE]

What the hell does that mean? Do you mean walk on the outside of your feet?

Needs Help
06-03-2004, 10:31 AM
What about posture on the bike? I was told I have terrible posture, and then I was given a little coaching, but I find I have to expend a lot of energy to try and keep my back straight and extend my upper body forward. Do you actively work on your posture while riding? Or, do you just ride in the most comfortable position?

Ray
06-03-2004, 11:54 AM
What about posture on the bike? I was told I have terrible posture, and then I was given a little coaching, but I find I have to expend a lot of energy to try and keep my back straight and extend my upper body forward. Do you actively work on your posture while riding? Or, do you just ride in the most comfortable position?

I spent years with poor posture on the bike that was both cause and effect of the back problems I've had. While playing around with different saddles last season, I happened upon the Aliante, which has just the right amount of swept-upness in back and my pelvis naturally rolled forward on that saddle like it never has on any other. Once I got that dialed in, I started riding with MUCH better posture, flattening out my lower back rather than having it bow out like it had done previously. Realizing the difference and getting used to that position, I've found I can do the same thing pretty well on other saddles as well. I've done a lot of pain free riding since then. Made a huge difference for me, anyway.

-Ray

Too Tall
06-03-2004, 01:09 PM
Dawggg, lightly press small and big toes while you walk and (for extra credit) be aware of even weight on the balls of your foot as well. Send more pictures of those dogs...I like bull dogs almost as much as Standard Poodles.

oracle
06-03-2004, 01:53 PM
work on your abdominal muscles. many 'leg' athletes have posture problems as a result of overly developed hamstrings which can cause a natural tension which, if not balanced, ca lead to people 'leaning forward' unconsciously. the abdominal centre is the counterpoint to this tension, so start doing sit-ups and crunches (if you already do,then i have no idea) which of course, the chicks will dig. extra motivation never hurts.

oracle

Needs Help
06-03-2004, 06:55 PM
work on your abdominal muscles.
Unfortunately, I have been for the last 15 years.

many 'leg' athletes have posture problems as a result of overly developed hamstrings which can cause a natural tension which, if not balanced, ca lead to people 'leaning forward' unconsciously.
Hmmm...I thought as a cyclist, I should work on hamstrings to help balance out the intense quad workout I get from cycling.

When I first started cycling, I tried to rotate my pelvis towards the top tube, but I found that crushed my...uhh...sensitive areas, so I abandoned that, and now I tend to lean on my arms, and I have a humped lower back.

Do you have to actively concentrate on holding your body in the proper posture when riding, or are you able to sit on the bike in the most comfortable position and have good posture?

shaq-d
06-03-2004, 07:16 PM
lance armstrong rides with a humped back... go with what makes you comfy.
:bike:
sd

Dekonick
06-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Try using a ball for a chair.

Martial arts!

coylifut
06-04-2004, 12:37 AM
I went on a club ride last week (not my club, but another) and I had never seen so many bent up people on the bike. One guy slanted where both of his feet and knees pointed to the right. The ride was basically a hammer fest, but people really faded as the miles went on. I cringed just watching some of the various positions and pedaling motions.

va rider
06-04-2004, 08:37 PM
This is a very timely post for me.

While I was working out the final fitting on my new CIII. My fitter said you look like Lance. Of course, I was like, yea right. But, he said, no, the way you ride so hunched over.

I was too embarrassed to start the post, but, now I am really focusing on my back as I ride. I have lower back problems and wandering if flattening out your back will help with lower back issues?

shaq-d
06-04-2004, 09:12 PM
va rider,

this thread actually has gotten me to think about my posture again lately; this is the first week i've gone everyday and, usually, i tend to have to sit up for 30 secs or so every now and then and that works out the kinks in my back. anyway today i had my first pain-free ride, and i did it by flattening out the back. usually when i try to flatten my back i "try too hard" and tense all the wrong muscles, so i just focused on arching my back a bit (since i always ride humped, straightening my back is to me arching lol), and letting my tummy hang, my upper body completely relaxed, and it was great. i rode the whole time in drops and hoods, no probs. i was really surprised...

so definitely try straightening your back, lengthening yourself, making sure you're relaxed...

other thing too is i moved my saddle back, because i discovered that when i straighten my back i'm just a few millimeters longer. (with my 130mm stem i hesitate to even get a longer stem, and i'm not too worried about kops). if this position/fit works for me, wow, i think i've made a quantum leap in my cycling enjoyment today.

sd