View Full Version : would really appreciate any pricing advice

jimcav
04-02-2007, 01:16 PM
on the serotta classique I have in the classifieds section
thanks
jim

Lifelover
04-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Can't see you getting anymore than $50 shipped.

However since you are a forum member I'll give you $75 ;)

Frank
04-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I once owned (and actually rode, Dave ;) a Serotta Classique with Icon carbon fiber fork. Think it was a 2000 model, Competition Red with Reynolds 853 steel tubing on the main triangle and Serotta "proprietary" materials for the rear stays. The tubing was not Colorado Concept, but the chainstays were the Serotta S-type.

It was the third tier (not a criticism as Serotta makes no bad frames) in their trio of steel road offerings behind the CSi and Atlanta.

I paid $350 for it new on the 'net. The ones I have seen have ranged from $300 for very good condition used to $400 for new or mint.

It was a nice frame, but without the Colorado Concept behind the tubing it didn't ride like the Atlanta or CSi to me.

dave thompson
04-02-2007, 06:55 PM
As Frank said (you actually built up a bike and rode it Frank!?!?) the Classique was Serotta's entry level bike in its day, sort of like the basic Fierte is now. It had straight 853 main tubes, no Colorado swaging and was only around for a couple of years.

Seeing how an Atlanta frameset in excellent condition can bring $400~$600, a CSi in the same condition could be $600~$900, I would agree with Frank on his assessment of a price for a Classique frameset; $300~$400.

What am I doing on the forum? I'm supposed to be finding a hotel in Rome!

Lifelover
04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Damn

Obviously I was joking with my $75 reply but I'm just as surprised with the others. However, I had no clue of the original pricing and it's place in the Serotta line.

If you end up letting it go for the range discussed in this thread send me a PM. It does not really fit in with what I'm looking to buy currently but it could get me in (even if on the fringes) the Serotta family cheaply.

Good luck with you sale. I was thinking what you mentioned in the classifieds thread was reasonable.

mike p
04-02-2007, 08:34 PM
I bought same frame and fork from Guy on this forum for between 3 and 4 hundred, been so long ago I can't remember.

Mike

jimcav
04-02-2007, 09:11 PM
seems i paid closer to its retail then...but it was supposed to be NOS. Would you think ebay the best route? seems like no point in selling it with the record 10 and open pros?

anyone want it? it really is in great shape--just a few scuffs from being moved about in a shop. I have more pics if it helps.

thanks
jim

Frank
04-02-2007, 09:26 PM
I have bought and sold several frames here, as have many other folks. If you would feel better about the "unofficial appraisals", do some checking on other sites until you feel comfortable with a list price. I think the prices mentioned so far are pretty accurate, but you may find higher ones elsewhere. Once you have settled on a price, list it here with a price and some additional pics and you may not have to go to eBay. Some people on here even buy more frames than they could ever build and use... :rolleyes: