PDA

View Full Version : Help Neeeded - Stripped SPD Bolt Head

TBLS
04-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Trying to replace my SPD MTB Cleats..one of the bolts allen head is rounded and allen key will not engage.

Any ideas?

DRZRM
04-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Two choices (well three), try epoxying a cheap allen key into the hole and extracting that way, otherwise there is a tool called "easy out," you drill a small whole in and drive a left hand/reverse threaded head into the hole to extract. Also, depending on your access to the bolt head, you can cut a straight line across the bolt head with a dremel and screw it out with a flat head screw driver.

Or buy new shoes, good sales out there... :D

Too Tall
04-02-2007, 12:54 PM
I just did one of these a few days ago. The SPD bolts / screws are pretty brittle and heat real fast so use a very high quality burr bit to start things. I can almost assure you it will come out if you drill (forward) with a good burr bit one size down from the shaft size...let it cool one min. than reverse the same drill bit and 99.99% sure it will spin out and no need to go the easy out route.

gdw
04-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Just drill out the head until it breaks off and buy a replacement anchor plate from the LBS if you don't have one handy.