PDA

View Full Version : Wow! These Speed Dreams are really nice...

bulliedawg
06-02-2004, 05:16 PM
My Speed Dream wheels arrived yesterday, and I thought I’d give my impressions.

I decided to buy them because I was getting a little bored with my bike, and wanted to spice things up. I decided on the SDs based on opinions posted here, and on opinions posted at Roadbikereview.com.

I was looking for wheels that were lighter, faster and more aero than my Cane Creek wheels. But I made it a little hard on Dave Thomas by asking him to build the rear wheel around a very nice 32 hole World Class hub with titanium cassette body that I had kicking around. Dave built the front wheel from scratch.

They arrived yesterday, and I rode them this afternoon. The front is 20 bladed Wheelsmith spokes around a White Industries hub topped off by a Velocity Aerohead rim. The rear is the same setup but with 32 spokes and the World Class hub. The drive-side spokes are much thicker than the non-drive-side. Front weight is 629; rear is 846.

My initial impressions are very positive. They are just what I wanted: light, fast and aero. But I’m even more amazed at how smooth they ride. I was surprised to find that the 32 spoke rear is way smoother than the 24 spoke CC rear. The front is smoother, also.

Today I rode a familiar hilly 37 mile loop. My average speed on this loop was 18.1 mph on Saturday. It was 19.0 today. I felt faster in every situation – up hill, down hill, and on the flats. The fastest downhill on this particular ride takes me to a top speed of 37 mph. Today I did it in 40.1. On many of the climbs I was able to turn a bigger gear. Could be attributed to excitement at having a new toy, I reckon.

The only disappointment is that I didn’t get them on Friday or Saturday in time to ride them over the holiday weekend. Dave told me that he would try to get them to me by "the end of the week." But he’s getting ready to move his shop to the "mountains" of Arizona, so I’m sure he’s busy and stressed. Braking is also a disappointment compared to the Cane Creeks.

Only time will tell about the durability. Broke two spokes in three years on the CCs, and only had to true them about three times (and I ride some pretty rough rural roads), so the SDs have a lot to live up to in that regard.

Smiley
06-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Congrats Bullie , something I have been touting with my recent clients is to buy custom made to order wheels . Dave is GOOD but Jeremy Parafit is also very good and works out of New Mexico in his shop called Alchemy Bike Works . Thanks Sandy for the lead onto Jeremy .

93legendti
06-03-2004, 02:29 AM
I must have 6-7 pairs of Dave T's wheels. Last summer he built me a early proto of those wheels. Mine are 18/28 with Velocity rims, ac front hub and hugi rear hub. They are still true, plenty stiff, light abd fast. Dave is great to work with!

BTW, I broke a rear spoke on my Mavic Ksyrium SSl's. It was the first the LBS had seen! I broke a spoke on a pair of Dave's wheels in 1996. I haven't broken any sense.

weisan
06-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Hey Bullie, I am glad to hear that you like your previous Cane Creek wheelset. I am currently riding them on my Legend. As you said, they are very sturdy, can withstand some hard-knocking surface, and relatively light. I like them better than the Open Pros on my Atlanta.

Have fun with your SDs.

weisan

bulliedawg
06-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Hey Bullie, I am glad to hear that you like your previous Cane Creek wheelset. I am currently riding them on my Legend.

I really like my Cane Creeks and will continue to use them as backups. I felt a little guilty about buying the SDs, as I like to try to do business with fine Southern companies whenever I can. But a new set of CCs is way more expensive than the SDs were, and Dave's wheels come so highyl recommended.

Kevin
06-03-2004, 07:02 PM
I have had my Speed Dreams for about a year. They are still fast and still durable. Enjoy them.

Kevin