PDA

View Full Version : Dental floss?

Xyzzy
03-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I thought I'd share a little trick I "invented" for wrapping bars. I'm sure somebody, somewhere, has done this before, but I came up with it independently, so I get 1% of the credit.

:)

The problem:

I don't wear gloves. I like thin bar tape. I like to not feel the bits of packing tape under the bar tape. I can't stand having the cables get all wonky and start migrating around.

The solution:

Dental floss. A few hundred wraps and them cables ain't going anywhere. When you need to strip the bar just run a razor down the groove. I use about 8 feet of floss per side. I start from the shifter and really tighten in the cables, then wrap to the center and then back to the shifter again, overlapping wraps.

The unintended benefits:

Everything is minty fresh!

Interesting factoid from picture:

I wrapped using both grooves. I've never done it that way before. It certainly was a bit more difficult. We'll see how it works out in the end. It feels good on the bike so who knows?

Kevan
03-31-2007, 03:48 PM
for whipping the end of rope, so why not? Bravo!

LesMiner
03-31-2007, 03:52 PM
If you use Glide brand dental floss, its made from a Goretex fiber.

rwsaunders
03-31-2007, 04:59 PM
It looks like it would go with Bumble Bee Dave's zebra outfit. How about a photo for the gang, Dave?

BumbleBeeDave
03-31-2007, 09:15 PM
. . . but just this ONCE! :rolleyes:

BBD

AgilisMerlin
03-31-2007, 09:34 PM
bONDAGE aNYONE ? :D

dave thompson
03-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Looks like the Lilliputians got at your bars! :D

Louis
03-31-2007, 10:19 PM
'
There is one major issue with doing this:

Think of all that extra weight you've added ! :p
'

Xyzzy
03-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Back in the good old days when I was in the Army, we used to wait for a new Joe to go to sleep in his bunk and then we'd floss him to the bed.

He'd eventually wake up, and because floss is kind of invisible, and because 1000 wraps of it is incredibly strong, he would think he was paralyzed.

Good times, good times.