PDA

View Full Version : SRAM connecting link difficulty

hypnos
03-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Try as I might, I just can't get the link for the SRAM 10-speed chain to slide fully into the closed position. Adding to the frustration, I can't get it apart either. Does anyone have some tricks?

Jeff

mosca
03-31-2007, 02:50 PM
I have had this problem - putting pressure on the pedal and using the chain tension to snap the link into the closed position has worked for me. To open it again, I usually fold the chain back over on itself at the connecting link and use needle nose pliers to squeeze the rollers together until the link disengages. Hope this helps.

Steve Hampsten
03-31-2007, 04:03 PM
What Mosca said - hook it up and stomp on the pedals.

I don't think you're supposed to be able to take it apart after that, it's not like a Powerlink.

Smiley
03-31-2007, 04:16 PM
You can't or should not break the link at that spot again, your supposed to use another majic link or what they call it for 10 speed chains. Like Steve said once its on its ON.

palincss
03-31-2007, 04:18 PM
I have no experience with the SRAM 10-spd chain, but I do have SRAM 8s and 9s. A few drops of mineral spirits on the link prior to my attempting to open the link has always helped.

I also have a KMC chain with a replaceable link that was almost impossible to remove. I finally bought a Park MLP-1 Master Link Pliers, which has no trouble at all opening it. There is a note about SRAM links on the box - make sure you are squeezing the link together when you use the pliers.

I also had major trouble reseating the KMC link. The "weight on the pedal" trick solved that nicely.

The MLP-1 is worth the money.

jthurow
03-31-2007, 07:12 PM
what mosca and steve said... :rolleyes:
FYI, If you like the powerlink idea and not the new powerlock, you can try the Super Link IV (http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0337-59'), which is made for the narrower Campy & SRAM 10 speed chains. I just had the lbs order one from QBP. Haven't installed it yet so can't comment on anything besides the cheesy packaging.

jimi

yetirich
04-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Try as I might, I just can't get the link for the SRAM 10-speed chain to slide fully into the closed position. Adding to the frustration, I can't get it apart either. Does anyone have some tricks?

Jeff

The key to this, is having it together and to have it at the top side of the drive train. It should be between the cogs and the big ring. Then apply the front brake and push on the pedals. It sound confusing but check out the link from Sram. It is on page 20 of the pdf.

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/dealers/TM_RoadMTB_MY07_E.pdf