PDA

View Full Version : Help with aero wheels

mike p
03-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Would like some advice from forum pals. I'm looking for a set of aero wheels to race on this year. Even though they will be "race only" wheels durability is king. I weight between 180 and 195 depending on time of year, and am 6'2".
I race masters crits and RR's. I'm thinking carbones, DA 50, or bontrager aeolus. Of the 3 I've only used the carbones but hear good things about the aeolus and DA's. Price wise I would guess the carbones are the best deal? Please give your advice and thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

coylifut
03-31-2007, 09:24 AM
I'd consider the Reynolds as well

wasfast
03-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Excelsports has the 2006 Reynolds wheels for $1288 in tubular which is a decent deal IMO.

mike p
03-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Durability of Reynolds?

Mike

coylifut
03-31-2007, 02:01 PM
very, very good. the first release had reports of hub issues, but i haven't heard anything since. the previous generation of Zipps had lots of reports of JRA breaks. I bought a set of 404s recently and Zipp claims to have re formulated the rim. Seems the Zipp wheel has more price control where you can find the Reynolds on sale from time to time. The $1300 deal on the Reynolds seems really fair if you're not put off by not having the newest decal set.

I looked on the excel sports website for em. do you have a link?

Buzz
03-31-2007, 02:35 PM
I have the 2005 Reynolds DV Stratus tubular. Other than one issue, which was taken care of immediately by Reynolds, I have never had a problem with them. I'm a bigger guy at 6'2" and over 200 pounds and they have stayed true, etc.

I do believe the new 2007 versions have DT hubs and spokes so there may be a difference between the old versions which are now on sale.

The reason I went with Reynolds instead of Zipp is because my friend who worked at a shop told me they were "everyday" riders and had almost zero problems versus the Zipps which had a lot of repair and cracked rim issues, etc. but that was 2005 and it seems like the Zipps have fewer problems now?

Now, if I were to do it all again, I would just go with a nice set of handbuilt wheels. A lot cheaper and you never have to worry about broken spokes, cracked rims or a whole host of other issues.

Hope this helps.

mike p
03-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Is the Reynolds DV Stratus tubular the wheel everyone is talking about? I am on excel site but cant find the reynolds wheel at all let alone on sale. Looked under wheels and closeouts?

Mike

pdxbikeboy
03-31-2007, 03:10 PM
It is true, the Reynolds use DT hubs and are very nice. I feel the Bontragers offer a slightly better value. I would run the Reynolds if the cost is not the bottom line. Good luck.

mike p
03-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Has anyone ridden the aeolus wheels or no how durable they are? Any wheel with paired spokes makes me a little nervous and I tend to think of them as fragile. Every place I see has the aeolus for around 2000.00 quite a bit more than the carbones and reynolds if they are on sale at excel.

Mike

LesMiner
03-31-2007, 03:48 PM
HED Jet50 the 50 mm profile is a good compromise when considering cross wind effects. They are about the same price range as the others being considered. Or for a lot more money Vuelta Carbon Pro WR.

fierte_poser
03-31-2007, 05:04 PM
http://www.gottaridebikes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=REW0001&Category_Code=Rew&Product_Count=1

plus 15% off your first order. i have never used this vendor before.

Kent

obtuse
03-31-2007, 06:23 PM
cosmic carbones. easy choice.

obtuse

jhcakilmer
04-01-2007, 07:55 AM
++1......I'm 6'3" and a little heavier then you, and this is an easy choice.....Mavic Carbones all the way!!! No contest!

mike p
04-01-2007, 10:13 AM
I guess the only nock against "bones" is there not the lightest wheel around. Very durable, aero, fairly inexpensive, almost no weight penality for clincher. What more could you ask for? I've heard the new zipp's are not nearly as fragile as the older ones?

Mike

milhouse
04-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Just spent the weekend bombing round on my new Aeolus 6.5's - I can say they are very nice indeed:

http://static.zooomr.com/images/902017_4094d2b78e.jpg

I can't compare them to any other deep rims, and the mavics prob are v. decent also, but these things:
a) add somewhere around 3-4kph above 40kph
b) are super stable - even at 65kph on -15% descents (not accounting for the veloflex tubs, which are ace)
b) don't seem to mind crappy roads
c) climb as well as my clincher fulcrum 1's (prob cos they're at about the same weight on the rims)
d) braking is probably about 95% of the normal dura-ace pad/alloy rim - which is a lot better than I expected. Only experienced 'pulsing' below 15kph, so not really a problem
e) look fecking cool - unless luminous yellow is more ya thang

In summary:
Bonty = :cool:
Mavic = :banana:
...either way you can't go wrong.

mike p
04-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Milhouse,
How long have you had them? How much do you weight? Expensive? Where the hell do you live, I hope you don't have to carry your bike up there after every ride!

Mike

Just spent the weekend bombing round on my new Aeolus 6.5's - I can say they are very nice indeed:

http://static.zooomr.com/images/902017_4094d2b78e.jpg

I can't compare them to any other deep rims, and the mavics prob are v. decent also, but these things:
a) add somewhere around 3-4kph above 40kph
b) are super stable - even at 65kph on -15% descents (not accounting for the veloflex tubs, which are ace)
b) don't seem to mind crappy roads
c) climb as well as my clincher fulcrum 1's (prob cos they're at about the same weight on the rims)
d) braking is probably about 95% of the normal dura-ace pad/alloy rim - which is a lot better than I expected. Only experienced 'pulsing' below 15kph, so not really a problem
e) look fecking cool - unless luminous yellow is more ya thang

In summary:
Bonty = :cool:
Mavic = :banana:
...either way you can't go wrong.

Frustration
04-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Of what's listed, I like the Carbones too...

And Thanks for bringing up Durability in the same line as "Race Wheels"...

I don't know who started the thought that your race wheels don't need to be as solid as whatever else you ride. Personally, I think race gear gets far more stress than training gear gets and the thought that is should not be as strong is silly...

mike p
04-01-2007, 03:09 PM
I gave up on superlite weight race parts long ago. Lifes to short to finish your race early because of a broken part. At my size it makes no sense at all. That said alot of stuff has gotten lighter and stronger than when I started.

Mike

mike p
04-01-2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=/photos/2007/mar07/redlands07/redlands072/jd_rdl07022

Local hero Danny Timmerman at redlands on carbones. Dig those red shoes!

Mike

milhouse
04-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Milhouse,
How long have you had them? How much do you weight? Expensive? Where the hell do you live, I hope you don't have to carry your bike up there after every ride!

Mike
Only had them 2 weeks, one week of which was spent stretching tubs + rim glueing. First weekend I've had them out & put about 120miles on them, uphill, downhill & flats, nice roads & pot-hole concrete ones with big cracks in.

Got them for a grand (GBP) from sigma sport in London, so similar price to the US - didn't find any cheaper elsewhere.

Really stable wheels, confident on big sweeping turns. Didn't feel bad in cross winds either.

I'm 78kgs & live in HK - surprisingly good roads both on & off the island (for views that is, not smooth tarmac). In fact, using the magic of Garmin, here's what I did over the weekend:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2352826
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2362270
...put into google earth for extra 3D effect!!