PDA

View Full Version : YOUR favorite West Point area rides!

trophyoftexas
03-31-2007, 07:33 AM
One of my riding pal's son has received his appointment and acceptance to West Point as of this last week and it got me to thinking...dangerous, I know...when this kid reports in early July perhaps I could hitch a ride up with them and his Dad and I can spend 2-3 days doing a little riding in that part of the country. I've never been to that part of New York or the vacinity and don't know squat about what's there to ride but from looking at the map, well, it's just gotta be good and hilly, right? How about some ride suggestions from you locals or guys/girls that have "tripped" up there to ride! We both like hills, historical stuff, neat little places to eat....we're just like everyone else I guess! 50-75 miles per day probably would be about what we'd reserve time for....how about it, some suggestions? If this works out yearly or more frequent trips up there look like a possibility.

tiger
03-31-2007, 08:05 AM
My bike club did a week-long ride in the Catskills and Hudson Valley a couple years ago. One person had his bike stolen when we were in a convenience store in Mayville. Local cops said they have lots of bike thieves around so don't let your bike out of sight when you stop. I would never have guessed it from the rural and charming area.

There's a bike shop on the main drag in New Paltz and they can probably give you lots of local routes. I highly recommend the ride up Storm King Mountain Parkway and Bear Mountain for some fantastic views. It's cool to see the Woodstock festival site in Bethel (nice riding roads there), and there is nice riding around Woodstock, NY as well (but that's not where the festival actually was!). If you want to feel like you are back in the 60s spend a night at the New Paltz Hostel (far out, man....).

When we were there they wouldn't let us ride our bikes on the USMA campus, something about national security being threatened...

Do tour the USMA. Facinating history and beautiful campus.

Richard
03-31-2007, 09:10 AM
I like the riding in Ulster, Delaware and Greene counties a bit more than that area. There is much less traffic, and you will find yourself in the Catskill Mountains. If you pick the route carefully, you can get in mileage like you mention without a traffic light and with only a couple of crossings of even secondary routes.

If as the time approaches, you (or anyone on the forum who wants) can pm me and I'll get some descriptions together.

bcm119
03-31-2007, 09:37 AM
West Point is on the west side of the Hudson between the Bear Mtn and Newburgh-Beacon bridges. You can ride a loop up the west side of the river, over the N-B bridge, down the east side on 9G, across the Bear Mtn bridge and back up to west point for about 60 miles. Its actually a very scenic section of the Hudson; its where the river cuts through the Hudson Highlands, so the river resembles a fjord at that point. You'll also ride through Cold Spring and Garrison, two river towns that have a very unique, new york style. It is however a moderate-high traffic route, and riding through Newburgh just plain sucks. Still, if you're staying at West Point you should try the ride. That particular part of New York is steeped in history and has a very old feel to it. If you're willing to travel, the Catskills are totally worth it, or theres nice riding north and east in northern Dutchess and Columbia counties on into the Berkshires.