PDA

View Full Version : Rolf hub goes crack!

Elefantino
03-30-2007, 07:53 PM
:crap:

Out for a little training ride, going over the bridge, hear a little ping, think it's something I ran over, no big deal. Noticed that I was struggling more than usual, my knee was a little sore, and chalked it up to the wind. Got back and noticed that I had brake rub and wheel was out of true. Didn't notice, until I stopped by the shop, that the Rolf Sestriere titanium hub had cracked.

My first experience with disposable wheels. I've had them for two years, so I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Anyone have a new Rolf ti rear hub I can buy? (Kidding. I'm mulling P's Protons.)

D*mn.

ada@prorider.or
03-30-2007, 08:28 PM
titanium hub had cracked.

:

can i see a pic of that

?
or pm it?

Elefantino
03-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Let me take one tomorrow and send it. I'm still at work. :mad:

BumbleBeeDave
03-30-2007, 08:42 PM
. . . had one riding buddy who had Rolf's. He kept breaking spokes . . . Well, they actually didn't break as such. They were at such high tension that the flexing of my 195lb friend's riding made them back out of the spoke nipples and come loose. We had one memorable ride where we spent the longest time by the roadside taking his wheel part and trying to fish the nipple out of the inside of the rim through the valve stem hole, then get it back in the right hole, then thread the spoke back into it, then he trued the wheel using the brake pads as truing indicators. It worked well enough to at least get home. After THAT, I resolved never to guy a pair of Rolf wheels, no matter HOW good a deal they were on eBay! :eek:

BBD

DarrenCT
03-30-2007, 08:58 PM
rolf--

i had a pair of those rolf elan aero things that are super light. after a few rides, i ebayed them and had a beer.

-d

Elefantino
03-30-2007, 09:03 PM
I resolved never to guy a pair of Rolf wheels, no matter HOW good a deal they were on eBay! :eek:

BBD

Thus quoth the raven: NEVERMORE.

ergott
03-30-2007, 09:25 PM
I have a rear hub in Campy sitting here.

AgilisMerlin
03-30-2007, 09:33 PM
can i see a pic of that

?
or pm it?

Can you post a pic on the forum of that hub.

Curious.

i have a pair of 9spd dura ace hubs from 2001 which i am still riding everyday, btw.

unpleasant news.

Elefantino
03-30-2007, 10:32 PM
I have a rear hub in Campy sitting here.

Sestriere? PM me. Thanks.

gasman
03-30-2007, 10:33 PM
I've had a pair of Rolf Elan's on my Calfee for 3 years without a problem. Lots of miles on them-6,000 or so and that includes several crits and road races.
Bummer to hear about your hubs.

wasfast
03-30-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm 192 lbs with a set of Rolf Prima Elan's with over 10K miles on them. I changed the rear bearings (all Enduro 68xx bearings) the first year and just recently change the front bearings. Otherwise, no issues.

coylifut
03-30-2007, 11:21 PM
i had a club mate do the same to a much older pair. Rolf warrantied them with no hassle. i couldn't believe it given how old they were. i'd see if Rolf will do the same for you and then ebay em.

vaxn8r
03-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Rolf Sestrieres?

They can't have made that wheel for at least 6 or 7 years. Maybe longer. That's a Trek Rolf wheel.

Elefantino
03-31-2007, 03:09 AM
Rolf Sestrieres?

They can't have made that wheel for at least 6 or 7 years. Maybe longer. That's a Trek Rolf wheel.

Yep. I got 'em NOS.