PDA

View Full Version : Whaddya think of a Gunnar Rock Tour as a commuter/tourer?

H1449-6
03-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Here's the bike. Reasonably priced; built in US; disc brakes; enormous tire clearance.

I'd get the 29er (700c) and build it with something like an XT kit with drops and bar end shifters. Not exactly sure what I'd do for a fork but it would be rigid.

Thoughts/experience?

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/rocktour.php

TimB
03-30-2007, 11:11 AM
I have a Gunnar Sport as my commuter...very nicely done. There are pics in the Custom Gallery

chakatrain
03-30-2007, 11:41 AM
I use my Gunnar Crosshairs for my 10mi each way commute: it's perfectly functional through the bad SF city pavement. It is even fun sometimes with the 32mm tires, but hardly inspires the crazy joy that my CIII does. It's perfect as the commute/rain bike, though. I feel like it can take nearly everything I throw at it, bumps, potholes and all.

bcm119
03-30-2007, 12:16 PM
It depends on what kind of commuting/touring you want to do. If its mostly paved, I'd go with the Sport, if it fits you. If you plan to do real off road/singletrack touring, the Rock tour is the way to go. I use a Crosshairs for all my wet road rides and dirt road rides. I would like to have a Sport for a fast rain bike, but the TT's are too short and headtubes too tall for me. In general, unless you plan on lots of loaded MTB touring, go with the nimblest geometry that fits the tires you intend to use, because riding super long-wheelbase, slow-steering bikes on pavement can get a little boring. Keep in mind this is all IMHO, and my idea of commuting is riding a road bike with a backpack.

IXXI
03-30-2007, 12:24 PM
A Gunnar Crosshairs with fat slicks has been my commuter/rain bike/occassional cx bike for years. Love it to death. I've never toured on it but at one point commuted with racks and light panniers; I now prefer a messenger bag. But as far as the bike is concerned, as basic and unsexy as it might be, the Crosshairs is one of the favorites I've ever had in my stable.

I dont think you could go wrong at all with a 29er Rock Tour; sounds very cool. It strikes me as a slightly burlier version of my set-up. Though as bcm mentions, be aware of the wheelbase and what I imagine might be a little slower handling; might be no biggie for ya depending on your use though.