PDA

View Full Version : No TDF for Quebec

bostondrunk
06-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Thank goodness, what a joke.
Why the heck would they consider allowing Quebec to start the TDF anyway?? Its the Tour De *France*, as in, in *France*. Its not meant to be an event used by other locations to stroke their false egos...
I know, off topic, but so is beer...
I guess bike racing has become completely about money and advertising anyway...

Roy E. Munson
06-02-2004, 10:48 AM
The prologue and the first three stages are in Belgium. Belgium ain't France either! Is Belgium stroking their false ego?

bostondrunk
06-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Yup!!
I do think the TDF should take place in France. But in Quebec's case, to actually expect to bring it half way around the world for some publicity, ridicuous, but thats just my opinion. Are they still trying to separate from Canada as well???

zap
06-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Yes, many francophones in Quebec would like to seperate from the rest of Canada. I lived in Quebec during the first referendum and it took Quebec a long time to recover economically as many anglo's and corporate HQ's moved out of the province.

Early stages for the tdf have been planned for Quebec for several years now but I agree, the logistics would be a pain.

A part of France is located just south of Newfoundland and east of the Gulf of St Lawrence.

Roy E. Munson
06-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Have you ever been to St. Pierre? Petacchi could cross it in three pedal strokes!!

The referendum in PQ was interesting as the whole furor was essentially being stirred by students and younger people who actually had no idea what they were talking about or what the issues were.

BumbleBeeDave
06-02-2004, 12:38 PM
. . . the problem was the logistics of getting all the teams and equipment over here and back to France in a timely manner--without have to have a rest/travel day after only a couple of stages.

While I would love to be able to go up there to see it, I can certainly understand the decision. Expecting the riders to hack a 7 hour flight, race two days in a row, then hack another seven hour flight back to France overnight AND race again the next day is kinda unreasonable.

BBDave

Roy E. Munson
06-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Some EPO, some Andro, some illegal painkillers and they'd be fine - just like any other day at the tour.

Russ
06-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Some EPO, some Andro, some illegal painkillers and they'd be fine - just like any other day at the tour.

Roy,

Although sometimes I think you are a bit harsh, I think your posts are pretty hilarious... This one made me laugh a lot! :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
06-02-2004, 03:03 PM
. . . could they also pedal the plane back and forth?

BBDave

shaq-d
06-02-2004, 03:05 PM
. . . the problem was the logistics of getting all the teams and equipment over here and back to France in a timely manner--without have to have a rest/travel day after only a couple of stages.

While I would love to be able to go up there to see it, I can certainly understand the decision. Expecting the riders to hack a 7 hour flight, race two days in a row, then hack another seven hour flight back to France overnight AND race again the next day is kinda unreasonable.

BBDave

come now.. the decision was based entirely on money and the goings-on whether the prez of the tour de france's kids were gonna be taken care of with the best schooling in quebec and a guaranteed spot at mcgill u.

:beer:

sd

BumbleBeeDave
06-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Tough crowd! . . .

BBDave