PDA

View Full Version : To shave or not to shave, that is the question...

William
03-29-2007, 08:57 AM
It's getting to be that time of year again, and TooTall's taunts of my Wookieness got me to thinking: "Do I need to shave this Year?" From when my racing days started in the early 90's to just a few years ago, I used to shave year round. But, the New England arctic winters put a nix to that...and I just haven't done it much since. I sometimes get the, "Oh, look at the hairy Mtn biker on a road bike" look, but a good glare and baring of teeth usually hastens them on their way. Now my cycling brother taunts me. :confused:

So, how many of you forum folks are shaving and what's your preferred method? If not, WHY NOT!!! ;)

William

PS: I always used a Norelco shaver. Worked just fine for me.

chrisroph
03-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Dude you shave your head why not the legs too? Besides, the girls like it.

Ray
03-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Of all of the reasons I've ever seen for shaving, the only one that ever made any real sense to me was that it made cleaning and dressing road rash easier. If I was racing or otherwise crashed much, that might be an issue and I might shave. But I don't and I don't and it isn't, so I don't.

-Ray

Kevan
03-29-2007, 09:16 AM
no Mexican in'm, but they're about as naturally hairless as they come.

Pleasure of being blond? Dunno.

I'm set and ready to go.

zank
03-29-2007, 09:24 AM
no laser hair removal option?

H.Frank Beshear
03-29-2007, 09:45 AM
You bet next time beungood pulls the knife stunt shave his head as we... oh that's not one the options is it :D . Sorry beungood it'll grow back out in no time. Shave William, your legs that is.

catulle
03-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Does the bikini line count?

Grant McLean
03-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Yes, go for it,
it grows back.

g

coylifut
03-29-2007, 10:05 AM
shave. because once you perspire a bit, no one can get in a leg lock.

jthurow
03-29-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm all for shaving. It makes me feel fast even when I'm not. My problem is that it irritates the backs of my thighs as I sit in my desk chair in front of a computer for most of my days. I end up getting little prickly bumps, which I assume are ingrown hairs. No fun! So, I just trim my legs with my Wahl trimmer. That way, I get most of the fast feeling without the prickly bumps. I'd shave if I could do so and avoid the bumps. I've tried only shaving the bottom of my legs and trimming the tops but that seemed a bigger pain than just doing one. Any other suggestions?

jimi

William
03-29-2007, 10:13 AM
shave. because once you perspire a bit, no one can get in a leg lock.

I'm sensing that I might need to shave my legs.......and Beungood's head. :D

Good point Coy, never know when I'll need to throw one on the Tri guy sucking my wheel. ;)

chrisroph, I think that's why Mrs William doesn't like it when I shave.

William

Too Tall
03-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Don't make me post ALL the words from Fiddler on the Roof ;)

TRA DIT IONnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

TRADITION :)

Boar's Hair brush + Williams (not kidding) Shaving Soap + Hot water.

Jam a round of williams soap into a crappy coffee mug and fill with very hot water. Drain than use the boars hair brush to work up a froth! Works great, that's my story for quite a few yrs.

PS TRADITION

Ginger
03-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Every day...Razor and whatever hair conditioner is hanging around the shower. Cheap and effective. I only do that shaving cream thing for a date.

But for your legs William, you're gonna need some clippers first...I have some sheep shears from my farming days that you can borrow...

fiamme red
03-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Yes, go for it,
it grows back.

gJerry: I can't stop. Alex thinks I'm naturally hairless.

Kramer: You can't keep this up. Don't you know what's going to happen? Everytime you shave it, it's going to come in thicker and fuller and darker.

Jerry: Oh that's an old wives tale.

Kramer: Is it? Look at this.

(Kramer walks off-screen and opens his shirt. On-screen, Jerry reels from the sight.)

Kramer: (high pitched voice) Look at it! Look at it! And it's all me. I shaved there when I was a lifeguard.

Jerry: Oh come on. That's genetics. That's not going to happen to me.

Kramer: Won't it? Or is it already starting to happen?

Grant McLean
03-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Kramer: Won't it? Or is it already starting to happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPbJVTerX1Q

a classic

g

Grant McLean
03-29-2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSN0V0s-hpU

g

RABikes2
03-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Besides, the girls like it.
+1+1+1+1 !!!! :D Ohhh yeahhhhh! :D

Then from the massage therapist standpoint: It's great to work on hairless, athletic legs. The best glides are accomplished w/o applying tons of lotion so there's no hair pulling :crap:.

vandeda
03-29-2007, 10:51 AM
I will not be shaving. I don't race, nor do I have hopes of racing unless they come up with a new class ... Cat 20 - the slow and pathetic. And, I have no intentions of playing bumper cars. If I happen to find myself playing bumpers cars, hairy legs will likely be the least of my concerns.

As such, unless I start growing boobs , which would be REALLY creepy, I don't plan on shaving my legs (plus they're scrawny enough as is)

d

ss-jimbo
03-29-2007, 11:58 AM
I race and still don't shave. I hate shaving my face (though I still do it), so I'm not going to spend extra time shaving my legs. I've never shaved and still have some decent results. I'm fortunate not to crash much either.

Russell
03-29-2007, 12:06 PM
I always shave; it makes me look bigger.

William
03-29-2007, 12:13 PM
I race and still don't shave. I hate shaving my face (though I still do it), so I'm not going to spend extra time shaving my legs. I've never shaved and still have some decent results. I'm fortunate not to crash much either.

I don't crash a lot either (compared to miles ridden over the years), not even in my racing days...though there were a few. The worst one was on a training ride in the mid 90's when I hit wet RR tracks at 25 - 30 mph in a driving rain storm (I've written of the account). I was quite glad my legs were shaved then, constantly changing dressings on very large patches of constantly oozing road rash was a lot easier to deal with then if I had hair...Ouch!

To me, that was the main reason to shave.

William

William
03-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Btw,

Looking at the pole results, I think Sandy is feeling a little left out now. Kevan, can you let Sandy do the Band Aid thing on your legs???

William ;)

bcm119
03-29-2007, 12:24 PM
I used to shave arms/legs/torso for swimming several times per year. For swimming its important to use a razor to increase skin sensitivity. In fact, our coach would encourage us to sandpaper our palms. It was all about feeling the water. For cycling, you don't have to use a razor because you just want to remove most of the hair to make road rash less severe. Electric clippers do the trick just fine, and don't cause bumps and irritation.

I could understand if using a razor is your part of your pre-race mental prep routine, everyone has their own way of doing that.

Ginger
03-29-2007, 12:28 PM
One thing...

no razor stubble...that's just nasty.

I have yet to fathom why any guy thinks any woman wants anything to do with 6 o'clock shadow on his legs.

And the guys who shave only to their shorts line are just pretending...that's not going to help them when they scrape up their hip in a crash...(Not only that but they look REALLY funny in a swim suit...

Ginger
03-29-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm all for shaving. It makes me feel fast even when I'm not. My problem is that it irritates the backs of my thighs as I sit in my desk chair in front of a computer for most of my days. I end up getting little prickly bumps, which I assume are ingrown hairs. No fun! So, I just trim my legs with my Wahl trimmer. That way, I get most of the fast feeling without the prickly bumps. I'd shave if I could do so and avoid the bumps. I've tried only shaving the bottom of my legs and trimming the tops but that seemed a bigger pain than just doing one. Any other suggestions?

jimi

No promises, but exfoliation, a bit of antibacterial stuff, and more moisturizer. You do moisturize after shaving, yes?

inGobwetrust
03-29-2007, 01:05 PM
This reminds me of the scene in "American Pie"

Nadia: I believe "shaved" is the expression. ;)

SWorks4me
03-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Shaving for lack of a better word is.. Good. As a reformed triathlete, i used to shave my entire body because it did give you more of a sensitivty to the water. Shaving for bike racing is essential in my view for two very simple reasons. Cleanliness and cleanliness. Do you have to be a crash-aholic to enjoy the benefits of a freshly shorn pair of sticks? No. Racing for over 20 years in one form or another...i have learned the tricks of the trade for my delicate flesh. Shave sharp, often and exfoliate with loufa and slather the oil/moisturizer!!

Now some of you may not have access to a significant other who will rub you down after a race or a hard workout...but if you do not self massage (your legs you pervs) at least a couple of times a week you are missing out. And if you do...with hair, well, you are just wasting time and product.

My 2 cents. Spend as you wish.

jthurow
03-29-2007, 02:05 PM
No promises, but exfoliation, a bit of antibacterial stuff, and more moisturizer. You do moisturize after shaving, yes?
Never tried moisturizer on my legs since I don't need it on my face... just use antibacterial stuff. Exfoliation sounds like a good idea. thanks

jimi

BumbleBeeDave
03-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Yes, go for it,
it grows back.

g

Maybe YOURS does . . . :crap:

BBD

Kevan
03-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Btw,

Looking at the pole results, I think Sandy is feeling a little left out now. Kevan, can you let Sandy do the Band Aid thing on your legs???

William ;)

As long as his attention remains on the legs.

BumbleBeeDave
03-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Every. Square. Inch. :eek:

BBD

Ginger
03-29-2007, 03:57 PM
As long as his attention remains on the legs.

I'm sure it will...I'm sure it will...

zank
03-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Shaving + embrocation = the sheen of the Belgian Knee Warmers

rwsaunders
03-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Do you actually think that George "The Animal" Steele shaved his legs?

William
03-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Do you actually think that George "The Animal" Steele shaved his legs?

The man ate turnbuckles for crikey's sake. He probably made miniature Devils Towers with the shaving cream and stuck the razor handles in his ear.

William ;)

fiamme red
03-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Shaving + embrocation = the sheen of the Belgian Knee WarmersPeter Van Petegem needs to shave his arms.

Here's some more proof:

http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/2ad5fc39030e64aa86256c8600642e1a/235a9c1a9332d86c86256d08005fbb48/$FILE/16.jpg

Dario Pieri too (I'd be afraid to tell him though):

http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/2ad5fc39030e64aa86256c8600642e1a/235a9c1a9332d86c86256d08005fbb48/$FILE/9.jpg

Igor Astarloa:

http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/images/03rworlds5/$file/23.jpg

Elefantino
03-30-2007, 06:40 AM
If I shave, I'm told, I sleep alone.

I don't shave.

William
03-30-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm thinking that I will shave....half my body that is. The side that Mrs William does not curl up to at night. Ginger, I think I will need those sheep shears of yours. Are they ok around....you know....sensitive parts???

William ;)

PS: I want to know who shaves with a razor sharp Bowie Knife and a bottle of Whiskey. I wanna party wit you!!! :banana: ;)

chuckred
03-30-2007, 08:07 AM
So, I'm a bi-bicycler...?

Do I shave one leg?

Or risk looking like a hairy legged mountain biker when I'm on the road?

Or a shaved leg roadie when I'm on the mountain bike?

Or, as I normally do - just not worry about it...

Kevan
03-30-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm sure it will...I'm sure it will...

but who else wanted in? I'll let that person go first.

djg21
03-30-2007, 09:05 AM
I use one of those schick intuition razors that Jewel sings about. I've been unable to do any significant damage to myself with it, and that is a real plus!

http://www.schickintuition.com/

Ginger
03-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Ginger, I think I will need those sheep shears of yours. Are they ok around....you know....sensitive parts???

The sheep don't think so.

I never had a problem with them though...but I never had to use them on myself... ;)

alembical
03-30-2007, 01:57 PM
http://www.shaveeverywhere.com/

In case anyone here has not seen this before. I think this answers all questions. No sane guy would give up an added inch of manliness just because of a little maintenance.

insane Alembical

grey poupon
04-02-2007, 02:38 PM

Samster
04-02-2007, 03:42 PM
duct tape.

Ginger
04-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Peter Van Petegem needs to shave his arms.

Here's some more proof:

Dario Pieri too (I'd be afraid to tell him though):

Igor Astarloa:

Yes, I always thought it odd when they claimed shaving the legs was for aero benefit when they left their arms alone...

William
04-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes, I always thought it odd when they claimed shaving the legs was for aero benefit when they left their arms alone...

The aero argument never really made sense to me.

William

PS: One leg done!! :banana:

chrisroph
04-02-2007, 05:49 PM
W:

I bet you could avoid shaving by careful use of a blowtorch...outdoors of course.

C5 Snowboarder
04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Confuzzeled here -- what are we shaving or where?

GregLR
04-02-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm a brevet rider (incl PBP, in 2003). I started shave my legs about 4 years ago because its very hard to wash off sticky 4-hour sunscreen mixed with hair, dirt and sweat at the end of a ride of several hundred kilometers or more. Having shaved legs also makes it much easier & quicker to apply the sunscreen in the first place.

Greg

Xyzzy
04-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Get an epilator and be done with it.

It hurts the first time. Afterwards it is trivial.

Pain is just weakness leaving your body.

Think of just doing a square inch at a time.

Shave with a razor on Sunday and wait until the following Sunday, then epilate, then shave.

Do this 4 times.

The hair will eventually come back but it will not be stubble. Shaving with a razor cuts the hair off at the base which is thick.

Epilating pulls the hair out and it grows back with a thin tapered end.

An epilator is $30.

Maybe I have a low pain threshold. It really doesn't hurt except (hard to believe) on the front of the knees.

You will look like a plucked chicken for a few days but this goes away after a few days.

If you maintain this then you are set for life.

Some people get ingrown hairs initially. If so, get some ultra sharp eyebrow tweezers (not the regular crappy kind) and pull the hair out the opposite the way it grows in.

You just have to trust me on this. It works. It is simple. It is not time consuming.

I shave for 6 reasons:

1) Massages are so much better.
2) Shaved legs on silk sheets is heavenly.
3) They make my calves looked really ripped.
4) Nobody else does where I live and I like to be different.
5) It is a hygienic issue (IMO).
6) I have OCD.

BillyBear
04-02-2007, 11:03 PM
:no: had to shave for 20 years to tape ankles (only up about 10 inches) for football and rugby...my 220 lb body ain't gonna win any races and I would need sheep shears... road rash hurts whether you are hairy or not, I dont use sunscreen, and :confused: women ain't exactly lining up to give me massages, particularly after a century... :no:

onekgguy
04-03-2007, 07:28 AM
never have and never will. maybe not a complete waste of time but pretty close.

Kevin g