PDA

View Full Version : Saved by the wheels...

catulle
03-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Earlier today I went for a short ride to try my new DT-Swiss wheels with Michelin Pro-2 L.E. tires. The ride was short (some 20km.) because I had a flat. I believe the flat was the result of the clumsy installation of the tires to the wheels. I found no evidence of piercing on the tire.

Anyway, I installed the new wheels on my C-40 mainly because I hadn't ridden that bike in months. I had given up on the C-40 because I found it way too harsh and outright uncomfortable to ride. I even thought about selling it (which would be first for me.)

Before setting out I tweaked the C-40 to my new found contact points. I must mention that the saddle on the bicycle is an Aspide, which previously I found way too hard for my butt.

To make a long story short, the result of the new wheels and contact points on the C-40 resulted in one of the best rides I've had in a long time. Now I feel I have a new and new favorite bicycle. I don't know how much of the new found comfort comes from the wheels, the tires, or most likely a combination of both. The ride is nothing like it used to be. It almost feels as smooth as the Kirk. The wheels feel sturdy and reliable. The tires grip the corners with great confidence and smoothness.

I noticed the flat front tire while not going too fast and on a straight line. I only stopped because I felt the tube valve hitting the road, but otherwise the tire kept its track and there was no wobble. I found the flat tire an ironic incident as I was enjoying the ride so much.

I've settled on 73cm saddle height and 51cm reach, and I feel like I can ride all day long. Even the iron hard Aspide felt just fine. I'm very pleased with today's short lived ride.

Thanks for reading.

rpm
03-28-2007, 02:08 PM
That's one nice looking bike! Now it's comfy and fast, too. You're a lucky guy.

stevep
03-28-2007, 02:28 PM
glad to hear that you like 'em.
what did you have before?
s

wooly
03-28-2007, 03:07 PM
The white wheels look great. I might prefer black rubber but the blue looks good too.

Nice paint scheme on the C40. I assume it's a repaint. What's the name of the color?

catulle
03-28-2007, 03:17 PM
I asked for the frame to be painted like that when I ordered it. The color is the same blue that is used on the Colnago logo (stripes.)

The wheels I had before where some locally assembled Record alloy hubs, Mavic CXP21 rims; and the tires 19mm Continental GP 3000.

obtuse
03-28-2007, 03:24 PM
those white wheels are hot. those tires are great and that is a wonderful bicycle. a conti grand prix 3000 is a great way to ruin the ride quality of almost any bicycle; a 19mm conti grand prix 3000 is a great way to ruin the ride quality of any bicycle- shop rats take note; when you don't want that one of a kind bike you lust after to ever leave the shop floor-put conti 19mm grandprix 3000s on it and inflate to 145psi. no one will ever buy the bike...... except maybe that weird triathlete who shaves his chest and wears lycra half-shirts.

obtuse

catulle
03-28-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm glad you approve, Dr. Obtuse.