PDA

View Full Version : llooks like the made tomke a bike....

obtuse
03-28-2007, 10:12 AM
no crying over spilt milk and he won today.

obtuse

coylifut
03-28-2007, 10:17 AM
it's Cippo's E5. Funny, I have a black one of these laying all discarded like in my garage.

obtuse
03-28-2007, 10:20 AM
it's Cippo's E5. Funny, I have a black one of these laying all discarded like in my garage.

put it on ebay as a boonen specialized. stevep will pay top dollar for it.

obtuse

pdxmech13
03-28-2007, 10:23 AM
So aluminum is the new carbon :confused: :confused:

wooly
03-28-2007, 10:33 AM
What is it? A custom E5?

Fat Robert
03-28-2007, 10:37 AM
progress

they used to brag in the ads that they made 21 alloy bikes for cipo to "get" how to make an alloy bike for a six-three pro tour sprinter

now they can say they only had to make 1 carbon bike to figure out how to make an alloy bike for a six-three pro tour sprinter

progress

72gmc
03-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Well done, fatbob. I am eager to see the real spin they put on this. Perhaps they can reintroduce the E5 as a "classic" alongside the Hard Rock...

BdaGhisallo
03-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Well, well, that huge investment on the part of Mike Sinyard to sell more Specialized carbon bikes via their association with Tom Boonen is really going to start to pay off soon!!

coylifut
03-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Well done, fatbob. I am eager to see the real spin they put on this. Perhaps they can reintroduce the E5 as a "classic" alongside the Hard Rock...

yeah, the marketing spin on this could be all kinds of fun.

Grant McLean
03-28-2007, 12:44 PM
looks like they put some gears on one of these.....

g

stevep
03-28-2007, 01:03 PM
looks like my size.
a collectors item for sure.
looks like something thay had out back from cippo.
freakin' beatiful.

the finish photo of him pointing at the bike shows that tom sat with his agent who explained to him how much money specialized has put into the program and how much of this money goes to him...and he needs to give them some credit...after a couple of weeks of saying the he cant ride the fool things.
next ...bettini...

Bill Bove
03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Sounds like Tomke woke up this morning with the headtube of a Time bike in his bed. :eek:

ergott
03-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Hey Obtuse, if you are reading, check you PM.

Thanks!

Climb01742
03-28-2007, 02:03 PM
the finish photo of him pointing at the bike

which site has the photo? thanks.

jthurow
03-28-2007, 02:10 PM
which site has the photo? thanks.Cyclingnews.com (http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/mar07/dwars07/Boonen_wins_sprint.jpg)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/mar07/dwars07/Boonen_wins_sprint.jpg

jimi

gt6267a
03-28-2007, 02:36 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=/photos/2007/mar07/dwars07/Tom_Boonen_on_his_new_Specialized_bike

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/mar07/dwars07/Tom_Boonen_on_his_new_Specialized_bike.jpg

shinomaster
03-28-2007, 02:51 PM

what size?

72gmc
03-28-2007, 02:54 PM
from cyclingnews' story:

"..a new bike which had been recently developed for the big sprinter."

cpg
03-28-2007, 03:55 PM
So who's gonna buy one now?

Curt

mosca
03-28-2007, 04:23 PM
That's a good-lookin' bike imho - much improved from that other one. And Tom looks so much happier now! Anyone know what they changed, geometry-wise?

coylifut
03-28-2007, 04:27 PM
what size?

it's a 55 and a real POS. I'd give to you, but has a dent in the tt. It could fail violently one day.

shinomaster
03-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Yikes!! I think I would need a 58.

cs124
03-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Boonen overheard at the finish line..."Specialized, the best bike, eh?"

bigdeal
03-28-2007, 06:08 PM
will Tom now write a book titled "it IS about the bike"?

:bike:

Simon Q
03-28-2007, 06:16 PM
I saw a Gerlosteiner Tarmac SL out on the road this morning. With so many other options at that price bracket I still can't work out "why"? Is it simply becuase they are a big name through communters and MTB's. I haven't ridden one so they could be awesome but they just suck to look at.

Grant McLean
03-28-2007, 07:24 PM
I was going to type out a long piece about how I really feel about this debacle,
but in the end, let's thank Serotta for sticking to their business model of
providing made to measure bikes in a timely fashion at competitive prices.

We should all have custom bikes. Why do expensive stock size bikes exsist?
Well, that's a long answer. Everyone here should fully understand that
committment to the importance of selling made to measure is truly a
treasure to those of us who have a great passion for well designed bikes.

Having a bike made for you personally is a dream come true.
The fact that there's no inventory for dealers to stock, no colour that
can't be painted, no graphic that can't be tweaked, no compromises to
be settled on. Off the rack? No thanks!

g

davidlee
03-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Like I stated in another thread about Cervelo's stiffness claims.. There is no substitute for aluminum for a powerful sprinter... Back problems my ***, I betcha he hated that bike. Why else would he get a custom frame in aluminum? Surely isn't gonna be more comfy? Its a no brainer.

FATBOY
03-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Tom will be back on a carbon bike, and soon. I seem to remember him crushing guys at Qatar on one. To get him on the road ASAP with custom geo, for whatever reason, aluminum was the best answer. I know that you guys love to hate on the big S but this is getting rediculous. How many months does Freire miss each year because of back issues without anybody here blaming Ernesto?

saab2000
03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Tom will be back on a carbon bike, and soon. I seem to remember him crushing guys at Qatar on one. To get him on the road ASAP with custom geo, for whatever reason, aluminum was the best answer. I know that you guys love to hate on the big S but this is getting rediculous. How many months does Freire miss each year because of back issues without anybody here blaming Ernesto?

Because Freire wins when it matters. So does Tom Boonen. That is why they get what they want.

They say they need time off? The boss says, "When?" and "How much?"

davidlee
03-28-2007, 07:58 PM
I've ridden some of the new Specialized carbon bikes and they are noodles.
We'll see if he goes back, Im betting against it.

obtuse
03-28-2007, 08:01 PM

oscar freire's back problems were not the result a compromised frame geometry; boonen's were. they had someone make him a custom aluminum frame because they had to nip the problem in the bud immediatly and there is no way merida was going to be able to make a whole new mold and lay-up schedule in such a short time frame. i doubt you'll see boonen on a carbon frame this year.

obtuse

Grant McLean
03-28-2007, 08:19 PM
I've ridden some of the new Specialized carbon bikes and they are noodles.
We'll see if he goes back, Im betting against it.

Can i get some of whatever it is you're smoking,
your RDF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field) is bigger than Steve Jobs'!

g

AgilisMerlin
03-28-2007, 08:20 PM
i would rather ride one of their alum. frames than their carbon.

jmo

reverse marketing, or maybe he just likes the way the frame rides.

Alum. for the cobbles. Been done before.

maybe next year he'll be riding steel :D

I am beginning to like this Strong Man.

http://www.stickergiant.com/Merchant2/imgs/450/hcs007_450.jpeg

FATBOY
03-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Boonens back issues are resultant from a crash nearly four years that still pops up from time to time. Specialized reacted quickly and got him on a bike that got him racing and winning again. Period.

I think Freire rocks! Mega talent. So...............

FATBOY
03-28-2007, 08:26 PM
i would rather ride one of their alum. frames than their carbon.

jmo

reverse marketing, or maybe he just likes the way the frame rides.

Alum. for the cobbles. Been done before.

maybe next year he'll be riding steel :D

I am beginning to like this Strong Man.

http://www.stickergiant.com/Merchant2/imgs/450/hcs007_450.jpeg

If that is a T-shirt I have to have it! Not that I think crack deserves it's bum rap, at least it is not meth!

AgilisMerlin
03-28-2007, 08:33 PM
http://www.stickergiant.com/page/sg/CTGY/hp :D

http://www.stickergiant.com/Merchant2/imgs/450/s0998_450.jpeg

i think this seems proven: alumin. is the new CarBoN

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2006/bikes/06SWorksE5Frameset_Red_l.jpg

soulspinner
03-28-2007, 08:40 PM
the climbs were very high and the greenery lush light green... :p

davidlee
03-28-2007, 08:41 PM
What are you talking about Grant?
Anytime you you want to line up against me for a 500m sprint and watch your doors get blown off, fire me a time and place and I'm there. Those carbon S bikes are F-ing flex monsters . Same with alot of other carbon bikes out there.
david

Grant McLean
03-28-2007, 08:50 PM
What are you talking about Grant?
Anytime you you want to line up against me for a 500m sprint and watch your doors get blown off, fire me a time and place and I'm there. Those carbon S bikes are F-ing flex monsters . Same with alot of other carbon bikes out there.
david

That's some pretty big talk my friend,
do your parents know you're up past your bedtime?

g

davidlee
03-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Listen Grant, I'm a Cat 1 cyclist and have been racing bicycles for twenty years . You want to attack my comment personally , then stand up to the challenge if you truely think I'm lying. I've ridden lots of bikes over the years and have yet to ride a carbon bike that handles big watts like aluminum . Just voicing my opinion about a moot point ...
david

AgilisMerlin
03-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I am thinking Boonen, the Belgian Wunderkid, could ride my daughters tricycle to victory in any cobbled classic....................

as long as the frame was made out of ALUMINIUM.......... :banana:

Grant McLean
03-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Listen Grant, I'm a Cat 1 cyclist and have been racing bicycles for twenty years . You want to attack my comment personally , then stand up to the challenge if you truely think I'm lying. I've ridden lots of bikes over the years and have yet to ride a carbon bike that handles big watts like aluminum . Just voicing my opinion about a moot point ...
david

so we're going over this again?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=26718&highlight=cervelo

Nobody's calling you a liar, my friend. Most everybody here has been
around for 20+ years, so relax, ok?

You can have any opinion you want, and you should be able to explain
any belief you have without challenging people who live 5000 miles
away to "take it outside". If you want to explain what makes aluminum
such a magical material, by all means go ahead, enlighten us all.

g

davidlee
03-28-2007, 09:22 PM
What I'm saying Grant, is if you put out 1400 to 1500 watts of power, there is an absolute ,noticeable difference in acceleration and stiffness on a robust Aluminum frame vs a carbon one.
My comment about "taking it outside" is merely backing up my statement about what my experience is with these frames, which obviously got your panties in a wad.
Mabey you ride a Specialized? I wasn't trying to offend anyone with the comment, the bikes flex and if you are looking for a pure race bike, I think Aluminum is unbeatable.

davidlee
03-28-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm curious Grant, what's your height and weight?

mike p
03-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Boonen still looks like he's on a bike that dosen't fit. Looks all bunched up. Mabey it's just the photo.

Mike

weisan
03-28-2007, 09:31 PM
http://www.celebrityvalues.com/images/lance_armstrong_300.jpg

Just trying to provide some comic relief here...whenever someone start throwing punches at g-pal, it gets my panties in a wad.

breathe...@darn it! we need some deep breathing, fellas ....fresh air, not crack or mj.

mike p
03-28-2007, 09:41 PM
What I'm saying Grant, is if you put out 1400 to 1500 watts of power, there is an absolute ,noticeable difference in acceleration and stiffness on a robust Aluminum frame vs a carbon one.
My comment about "taking it outside" is merely backing up my statement about what my experience is with these frames, which obviously got your panties in a wad.
Mabey you ride a Specialized? I wasn't trying to offend anyone with the comment, the bikes flex and if you are looking for a pure race bike, I think Aluminum is unbeatable.

I don't have much carbon experience as a matter of fact my current race bike is a big tube alu and I'm quite happy with it. That said I see many high wattage monsters race on carbon track bikes.

Mike

harlond
03-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Just trying to provide some comic relief here...whenever someone start throwing punches at g-pal, it gets my panties in a wad.

breathe...@darn it! we need some deep breathing, fellas ....fresh air, not crack or mj.A good idea, even if Mr. Lee didn't throw the first punch.

Grant McLean
03-28-2007, 09:47 PM

Don't worry, i take nothing personally that i read in a chat room.
You have no idea who I am, so no, my panties are fine.

g
(ignore the red thingy, it's there from a previous discussion...)

Jeff Weir
03-28-2007, 09:50 PM
When my panties get really bunched-up I use:

AgilisMerlin
03-28-2007, 09:53 PM
and if boonens alum. bike is not as stiff as any of those on the chart. What does that say........................

the hell if i know.

Jeff Weir
03-28-2007, 09:55 PM

AgilisMerlin
03-28-2007, 09:57 PM
or a really fast game of cribbage.

Grant McLean
03-28-2007, 10:01 PM
and if boonens alum. bike is not as stiff as any of those on the chart. What does that say........................

the hell if i know.

Even if we agree that stiff is good,
aluminum as a material is not stiff.
Steel is 300% stiffer than aluminum.
The only reason it's possible to make
a stiff frame out of aluminum is by making
the tubes really big. Make a steel frame
with a 3" down tube, and 1" chainstays,
and you'll have a stiff frame.

Ride a carbon BT track bike, or a Look, like
our pal 11.4's and you'll know stiff.

An R3 is only like what, 800 grams? How
stiff do you think it would be at 1300 grams?
(like a lot of aluminum frames weigh ) pretty stiff!

g

AgilisMerlin
03-28-2007, 10:07 PM
i am keen for his comments on his mat. choice and the building of his new frame.

Spec. will be talking to their marketing dept. this week, for sure................. :crap:

he's looking mighty thin for this time of year.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/mar07/dwars07/Boonen_relaxed.jpg

Serotta_Andrew
03-28-2007, 10:25 PM
ok ok so we get this call the other day and they say they need a frame quick and don't paint it!!!!...all we know is this address in Belgique!!!!!!

atmo
03-28-2007, 10:29 PM
ok ok so we get this call the other day and they say they need a frame quick and don't paint it!!!!...all we know is this address in Belgique!!!!!!
posteth of the dayeth atmoeth.

davidlee
03-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Jesus, who would have thought it would go here.. Sigh.. Those Look and BT track frames weight in the neighborhood of 5lbs(FRAME ONLY). You can find those figures on their websites.
That chart is Stiffness to Weight ratio which really doesn't fully apply to what I'm going on about. For someone who weighs 140 to 150 lbs I'm sure that the R3 and the other lightweight carbon bikes are plenty stiff. For a 160 to 170 lb rider (Sprinter) I'm not so sure.
The industry is obsessed with sub 800 gram frames and they are just not for everyone. Especially Tom Boonen !

Grant McLean
03-28-2007, 11:05 PM
That chart is Stiffness to Weight ratio which really doesn't fully apply to what I'm going on about.

Well, stiffness to weight ratio is what most racers are looking for, and that's
where carbon comes in. If you've read other posts here, you'll find lots of
good ones about how making blanket statements about how a frame material
by itself is good or bad is very misleading. Some of the frames
we've just been talking about only serve as counter arguements to things
you've attributed to aluminum, which as a material has certain properites,
but must be manipulated to create the desired ride quality, just like any other
material. Sure, an R3 isn't for everyone, you won't get any arguement here.
But calling specialized carbon bikes "noodles" when they are clearly tested
as among the stiffest frames available doesn't help your arguement.

Back in the original post on the R3, Obtuse gave some words of wisdom,
that not everything "feels" the same way it tests. Ride whatever you like,
i know what works for me.

g

learlove
03-29-2007, 12:46 AM
its been along time since I've been an engineer but that chart (like some pointed out) is stiffness/weight. I dosn't actually indicate which frame hence material is stiffer. According to that chart you could build a frame out of styrofome or balsa wood and it would rank better than the R3.

In fact if i remember correctly from my engineer studies balsa wood has one of the best strength/weight ratios of any material out there but we don't build cars, airplanes (real ones) or race bikes out of it.

Boonen should be on an MX Leader, BLE or Marcelo (the black paint job one), now that would be cool.

davidlee
03-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Finally someone that sees my side... Yes .. Learlove, I love ya..
d

sspielman
03-29-2007, 07:14 AM
The deal went down ALOT like this, ATMO...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=328372&postcount=14