PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ridge, GA

darylb
03-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Hey guys. We are going to Blue Ridge, GA next week and wondering if anyone is familiar with the area and could suggest a route or two. We are probably looking to ride 20 - 30 miles at a time, maybe a longer ride one of the days.

A couple of years ago, someone from the forum gave us some routes for Maggie Valley, NC and they were absolutely fantastic.

Any help appreciated.

YO!!!
03-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Check out Cartecay Bikes in Ellijay.

http://www.cartecaybikes.com/

Pollen count is off the charts ... so be prepared.

dawgie
03-28-2007, 01:00 PM
I grew up in the N. Georgia mountains near Lake Burton, which is between Clayton and Hiawasee. If you like to climb, there are some great routes to the southeast of Blue Ridge. The Tour de Georgia has a stage that ends at the top of Brasstown Bald, which is probably one of the hardest climbs in the Southeast (and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a very strong climber with adequate of gearing). One of the area bike clubs also has a well known ride called the 6 Gap Century every September, and you can find that route if you google it.

Anyway, go to Mapquest.com and check out these for some loops in that area:

-- Drive Ga. Hwy 60 southeast from Blueridge and park near intersection w/ Ga. 180.

-- Ride GA 180 east to US 19.
-- Take US 19 south to GA 60
-- Take GA 60 north back to start

This loop would be longer, but follows many of the same roads as the 6 Gap century. It is a very scenic route with several very long, steep climbs and descents:

-- Drive US 76 east to Blairsville, then south on US 19. Park near intersection of US 19 and GA 180.

-- Ride GA 180 east to GA 17/75. (You'll pass spur road to the top of Brasstown Bald along the left, just passed halfway point. The road to the top is about 2.5 miles each way and extremely steep, over 20% grade.)
-- Take GA 17/75 south to Robertston (just north of Helen, which you want to avoid due to traffic.
-- Take GA 75 Alt. west to GA 348
-- Take GA 348 north back to GA 180.

darylb
03-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Excellent information. I sincerely thank you for you help.

I have been toying with the idea of checking out Brasstown or at least something from the race route but dont know how much time we will have. Plus, as Bill Bove can attest, I dont exactly have a climbers physique.

What we normally do is ride close to where we are staying most mornings and maybe take a day to do a more adventurous trip. I am going to map out what you guys have given me so far and see if we can pull it off.

Thanks again.

LegendRider
03-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Excellent information. I sincerely thank you for you help.

I have been toying with the idea of checking out Brasstown or at least something from the race route but dont know how much time we will have. Plus, as Bill Bove can attest, I dont exactly have a climbers physique.

What we normally do is ride close to where we are staying most mornings and maybe take a day to do a more adventurous trip. I am going to map out what you guys have given me so far and see if we can pull it off.

Thanks again.

If you do Brasstown, keep in mind many pros had to zig-zag with 39x25 gearing.

darylb
03-28-2007, 01:32 PM
If you do Brasstown, keep in mind many pros had to zig-zag with 39x25 gearing.

Well, my bike is at Mr. Bove's shop having a 13-29 installed for the trip. My conditioning isnt what I want it to be so it probably wont matter but part of me wants to see it.

We have been traveling to Maggie Valley and some of the stuff we climbed out there was insane. I would like to see how it compares to Brasstown.

Our main objective is to have a route or two to be able to wake up and go ride and enjoy riding in the mountains. It works out great. When we get back from an early ride, we are willing to do any of the vacation stuff the families want to do. It is a fair trade off.

Thanks again.

dawgie
03-28-2007, 02:11 PM
I am not known for my climbing prowess, but I fell over sideways trying to climb Brasstown with 39-29 as my lowest gear. I ended up walking the steepest stretches, and that is something I rarely have to do even in the mountains of Western NC.

vaxn8r
03-28-2007, 05:51 PM
DO you guys have any vital stats of that climb? You guys have me curious. Length? Elevation? Grades?

Brian Smith
03-28-2007, 06:17 PM
From Blue Ridge, and in the 30 mile range, do the "Aska Road" loop in the book from Jim Parham, something like "road Bike North Georgia." It's good, and goes through Blue Ridge with a minimum of state highway.

If you bring a bike you're willing to take on trails, the trails off the south/southeastern side of Aska are really nice.

I'm sure you can get a book and/or map at Cartecay, the shop recommended by another poster here.

KJMUNC
03-28-2007, 11:03 PM
DO you guys have any vital stats of that climb? You guys have me curious. Length? Elevation? Grades?

I don't think these gradients are entire accurate, but you get the idea....alternating pitches of steep--steeper--and stupid steep.

http://webmhcc.org/profiles/brasstown.htm

There are multiple pitches that are legitimately 20%. I rode it the day of the 2005 TdGA and only got to the top because people were pushing on the steep parts. No way I could've started again had I stopped and I must've tripled the length of that climb with as much tacking as I did to keep moving.

You wouldn't think 1.5mi could hurt that bad, but it's no joke.

darylb
03-30-2007, 09:02 AM
From Blue Ridge, and in the 30 mile range, do the "Aska Road" loop in the book from Jim Parham, something like "road Bike North Georgia." It's good, and goes through Blue Ridge with a minimum of state highway.

If you bring a bike you're willing to take on trails, the trails off the south/southeastern side of Aska are really nice.

I'm sure you can get a book and/or map at Cartecay, the shop recommended by another poster here.

That book looks perfect. I have found a few excerpts on the internet and it has a nice selection of routes very near where we will be. I have to find time to run over to the library and get it. The bookstore I went to last night didnt have it.

Thanks again to all for your help. I have some of the other routes suggested all mapped out.