PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex Carbon Rolling Direction?

brisath
03-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I have the Veloflex Carbon tubular tires for the first time. There is no indication of rolling direction on the tire. So, how do I mount it? I'm guessing you want the label to show on the drive side, with the V pattern pointed down when looking at the front of the wheel. Correct? Is there any trick to determining rolling direction if a tire makes no indication?

Also, as an aside, does the veloflex carbon come in any other size beside 22? The ones I have look just as narrow as the Competition 19s I compared to, but there is also no indication of tire size on the label for me to make sure.

terrytnt
03-26-2007, 09:30 PM
You are correct. The label ALWAYS faces the drive side.

Can't speak to whether Veloflex Carbons come in various sizes... I think not. I use both the Veloflex Carbons and Criteriums... both outstanding tubulars!!!

Interestingly, what I noticed different about 2007 Veloflex is that the inflation range changed from last years tires... Was 7/8 bar, NOW is 7/10 bar. Did anyone catch this?

Jack Brunk
03-26-2007, 11:22 PM
You are correct. The label ALWAYS faces the drive side.

Can't speak to whether Veloflex Carbons come in various sizes... I think not. I use both the Veloflex Carbons and Criteriums... both outstanding tubulars!!!

Interestingly, what I noticed different about 2007 Veloflex is that the inflation range changed from last years tires... Was 7/8 bar, NOW is 7/10 bar. Did anyone catch this?

Yes I did. Carbons are my favorite Veloflex tire. Just a terrific all around great ride with excellent flat resistance.

sspielman
03-27-2007, 06:15 AM
I have the Veloflex Carbon tubular tires for the first time. There is no indication of rolling direction on the tire. So, how do I mount it? I'm guessing you want the label to show on the drive side, with the V pattern pointed down when looking at the front of the wheel. Correct? Is there any trick to determining rolling direction if a tire makes no indication?

Also, as an aside, does the veloflex carbon come in any other size beside 22? The ones I have look just as narrow as the Competition 19s I compared to, but there is also no indication of tire size on the label for me to make sure.

As others have said, label on the driveside. The Carbon only comes in 22, but the Roubaix is 24 mm and has black sidewalls just like the Carbon. I shouldn't miss this chance to say that Veloflex is the king of tubulars.

Xyzzy
03-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Even if there was a proper direction, the tread is basically useless. Well, that's what they say on R.B.T all the time.

I have the Veloflex Pave Black. Label drive side.

Xyzzy
03-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Mine (non tubular) say 7-10bar. I know my Eurus rim is only rated to 113psi for 23mm (mine are 22) and 10bar is somewhere close to 145psi.

Maybe they got caught up in the "more psi sells better" game that Vredestein plays. If I had a dollar for every tri guy I know who runs 140psi...

7.5-8bar is enough for my fat ***.

brisath
03-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all the helpful comments. Any other recommendations for pressure with these? I'm 165 lbs. I always like my Pro2 Race clinchers at 7.5, but not sure what to run on the tubulars.

Jack Brunk
03-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I weigh 170 and I usally run my carbons between 110-115PSI. I also will make adjustments to tire pressure based on road conditions.

terrytnt
03-27-2007, 08:27 PM
This is an interesting question. I too weigh 170 lbs (3-4 lbs lighter during peak season) and tend to ride around 115-120 lbs (8 bar).

I'm curious about what folks think about over vs under inflation with tubulars? And why are the Veloflex now 7-10 bar??? When would you want an inflation of 10 bar?

brisath
04-07-2007, 10:49 PM
I pulled out my wheel with the veloflex carbon tire after not using it for 2 weeks. I was suprised it was almost completely flat. I re-inflated and it stayed up for another 48 hours. I haven't checked since. However, I was wondering if these tires lose air at a quicker rate than clenchers. Do they use latex tubes? Or, might I have a slow leak on these twice-used tires?

Jack Brunk
04-07-2007, 11:45 PM
I pulled out my wheel with the veloflex carbon tire after not using it for 2 weeks. I was suprised it was almost completely flat. I re-inflated and it stayed up for another 48 hours. I haven't checked since. However, I was wondering if these tires lose air at a quicker rate than clenchers. Do they use latex tubes? Or, might I have a slow leak on these twice-used tires?

Yes they lose air quickly. No need to worry.

djg
04-08-2007, 09:25 AM

Heck yeah they use latex tubes. That's a good thing. They'll maintain pressure during your ride, and topping them off beforehand each day is a small price to pay.