run friction and you can go with what ever you feel like

jason

... don't forget the lube

bironi
03-26-2007, 06:17 PM
run friction and you can go with what ever you feel like

jason

Jason,

I have just changed out my early 90's DeRosa to Simplex downtube shifters, Chorus 10 spd. I am looking forward to a test ride on a sunny day with dry roads. It sounds like I won't be disappointed.

Byron

Ti Designs
03-26-2007, 06:30 PM
It's not a question of how much is enough, it's all a matter of keeping up with the rest of the kids. It's a lot like computers - how fast is fast enough? Was communication that much more complex 12 years ago? You had something to say, you put it in words. Did you need IM or texting? Rich text? Did dancing bananas help get your point across? probably not. Yet I'll bet you don't still run Windows95. It's an issue of compatibility, the whole world has gone 10-speed, 9-speed parts are no longer made and the guy at the bike shop laughs when you ask for a Dura-Ace 8 speed right shifter.

That was the long answer. The short answer is 1.

ChrisK
03-26-2007, 06:30 PM
I built up my newest bike with friction 7spd and I really like it. The Simplex retro-friction shifters are like butter and I find that I can shift just about as easily as with my Chorus 10spd ergo bike. But the most amazing thing is that I'm getting used to really varying my cadence, not as much as on a fixie, but the same idea. And it feels good.

Ken Robb
03-26-2007, 06:31 PM
for my riding more than seven cogs is superfluous. I've got 7s,9s, and 10s. What matters to me is a wide enough range more than ultra- close ratios.

atmo
03-26-2007, 06:35 PM
how do you decide between a 9 speed and a 10 speed cassette? :confused:
i normally match it to the ergolever atmo bananaz.

vaxn8r
03-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Compatability.

It's getting hard to find 9 speed parts at times let alone the older stuff. You can always find stuff if you are persistant but if you want fast turnarounds you may have to wait.

I do think 10 speed is a tiny bit better. From the brakes to the cranks to the overall feel of the bike. Is it huge? Not at all. But 10 is good for everything but chain wear.

stevep
03-26-2007, 06:36 PM
It's not a question of how much is enough, it's all a matter of keeping up with the rest of the kids. It's a lot like computers - how fast is fast enough? Was communication that much more complex 12 years ago? You had something to say, you put it in words. Did you need IM or texting? Rich text? Did dancing bananas help get your point across? probably not. Yet I'll bet you don't still run Windows95. It's an issue of compatibility, the whole world has gone 10-speed, 9-speed parts are no longer made and the guy at the bike shop laughs when you ask for a Dura-Ace 8 speed right shifter.

That was the long answer. The short answer is 1.

i will say eddie, that i rocked the house at ace the other day.
i was laughing my *** off telling them about some hick shop i had just been to that was still running windows 98 with some old shiite hardware that was found in king tuts tomb...
hahaha,.
she replied, " hey, eddie has us running windows 98 too? why is there anything better?"
this for ti designs. move into windows 98 1/2 man. it shows these little paper clips that will piss you off.

Lanternrouge
03-26-2007, 06:53 PM

More gears never hurt. 8 speeds were plenty until I had 9 and 9 were plenty until I had 10. Now that I have 10, 9 speed are clearly not enough.

I'd recommend going with 10 since it will be a lot easier to get replacement parts and you get the extra gear.

RPS
03-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Doesn't it depend on how many chainrings you run?

davids
03-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Nigel Tufnel: This is a top, to, uh, you know, what we use on stage, but it's very, very special, because, if you can see...

Marty DiBergi: Yeah...

Nigel Tufnel: ...the numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board: eleven, eleven, eleven, eleven...

Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.

Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is that any louder?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most... most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up... you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know...

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere! Exactly! What we do is if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder, and make ten be the top number, and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: These go to eleven.

http://yanksfansoxfan.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/christopher_guest_this_is_spinal_tap_002.jpg

Ti Designs
03-27-2007, 06:28 AM
i was laughing my *** off telling them about some hick shop i had just been to that was still running windows 98 with some old shiite hardware that was found in king tuts tomb...

We asked 100 customers if they would be willing to pay more for their bikes so we could upgrade to new computers. Never have pole numbers been so conclusive...

stevep
03-27-2007, 06:50 AM
We asked 100 customers if they would be willing to pay more for their bikes so we could upgrade to new computers. Never have pole numbers been so conclusive...

what? something wrong with windows 95?
trying to slick me w/ technology.

next thing i know youll be riding a bike with 8 gears in the back.

always trying to one up everyone.

saab2000
03-27-2007, 07:27 AM
I went to 8-speed Ergo when it came out in Switzerland. It was the shizzle. Had it for years, 'til 2001 when I went 10-speed. Never had a reason to look back.

With that said.......

Most of the riding I do now is pretty flat or at most, rolling hills. For this a 7 or 8-speed setup would be fine. Yesterday I did 50 miles on the slightly rolling and windy terrain around Appleton, WI. I had the bike set up with 10-speed Chorus. I would never used more than about 6 of the ratios between the 42 and 53.

However, in Switzerland where I used to spend a lot of time (and may again) I was happy for the extra gears. You become more aware of the need for a narrow cadence window when climbing and the more gears help to get to the proper narrow range.

This winter I was in Virginia Beach where it is flat with just light wind usually. A 1-speed bike would have been adequate there. No joke.

sg8357
03-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Compatability.

It's getting hard to find 9 speed parts at times let alone the older stuff..

What bits are getting hard to find ?
I asking since the Mountain bikers are sticking with 9s and the down hill loons are using 8s.

Scott G.
Suntour Ultra 6

dauwhe
03-27-2007, 09:12 AM
What bits are getting hard to find ?
I asking since the Mountain bikers are sticking with 9s and the down hill loons are using 8s.

Scott G.
Suntour Ultra 6

+1

I'm building up the new bike now with 9sp. Chains, cassettes, and shifters (if indexed) seem to be the only components that really care how many speeds you have. Chains are easy (in fact, I'm staying with 9sp partly because of all the trouble I've heard about with 10sp chains). There seem to be lots of 9sp cassettes out there, at least Shimano-compatible. I can easily buy Dura-Ace 9sp DT shifters new. 9sp STI or Ergo seems a little harder to find, but 10sp stuff can be used with the JTEK shiftmate (or I think Ergo can be converted to 9sp?).

Just because I'm a bit of a contrarian (my main bike is 650B right now), I'm really tempted to build up a real 10 speed (OK, maybe a 12-speed), with the new IRD 5 or 6 speed freewheel, and a Phil hub. And I now have some Simplex teardrop shifters squirreled away!

Dave

chrisroph
03-27-2007, 09:51 AM
With a 10 speed 12-25, I sometimes miss the 18. So I would be happy with 11 or 12 speeds.

Back in the day, when we rode 5 speed regina freewheels, we needed to do a lot of cog switching to match the course. 14-19 was a very popular crit cogset. We had never heard of an 11, or a 12 for that matter, but we sometimes rode 13's.