PDA

View Full Version : Tubular perspective

Mud
03-26-2007, 07:32 AM
I work PT at a LBS. The owner is from Colombia and was a professional racer. On training rides each rider used to take 6-7 spares with them since the roads weren't too good (an understatement). They would ride until they were out of spares, then repair the tires and ride back.

So I asked him about keeping the tires on the rim since these guys ride fast and hard. He told me about Clement glue which is not made anymore from what I understand. Each rider carried some solvent (usually gasoline) when sparingly applied to the glue would make it sticky again. And the ride would continue.

So I ask any of you fellow throwbacks who ride tubulars whether you have tried this. If so what cement and what kind of luck have you had. I use the Vittoria cement and I will test it to see if it gets sticky. May start a rebirth of old school riding. Thanx,

Bruce

saab2000
03-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Clement Red used to be the gold standard.

Now I use Vittoria Mastik.

I am always amazed at the tenacity of the riders from less wealthy countries. We used to race against the Mexican national team in the 80s. They would arrive 4 or 5 in a car. With their bikes tied to the roof. No fancy Yakima racks or bike trailers. And their bikes were not the latest yuppie toys either.

But they could ride fast and win races. Even with square taper BBs.

Too Tall
03-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Ever hear the expression "successful inspite of"?

We are a little smarter now. If the spare has a fairly fresh smear of glue than it is properly sticky and will hold onto the rim fine. After you pull the flat tyre off just put the spare on, inflate and ride. Don't dive into corners like a nut...just ride home. I've never had a prob. and anyone at last yrs. TDFL saw me change a tubular in pouring rain than ride lots of hills home. Nadda prob.

Using some solvent to "freshen up" the glue has some nostalgic appeal however it is very dicey as a proposition becuase any...and I do mean ANY..residual solvent can comprimise your basetape bond and that friend really is trouble in river city. You really don't want to mess with that.

Keep your spares sticky. Roll your tyres up the old school method and you b in fat city :) Oh...always use a binda toe strap to fasten your spare to the seat rails aka "The Sspielman Method" ;)

flydhest
03-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Even with square taper BBs.

. . . see, that's funny.

Mud
03-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Always appreciate Too Tall's Kung Fu. After surviving a pothole at 40mph I am in awe of his skill. But sometimes you can't ride home and that was the problem. I use the pre-glued tires but we use the ugly tubular seat bags. I just hate little necessties in the rear pockets (CC,chain quick connect, tool, rain cover for brooks saddle, cash, packet or tube of chamois creme).

djg
03-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Yeah, what tt said.

I'd add that I wouldn't be too keen on carrying gasoline with me, even in small quantities (like a soaked cloth in a plastic bag)--it can find its way to things you don't want it on (such as your skin).

Also, I have to wonder about 6-7 spare tires per ride, even as a safety precaution. I mean, I guess you're being hyperbolic, but still ... although I've gone for pretty long stretches without a flat, I realize that anybody can have some bad luck and I have had days with multiple flats in my life. Still, if more than one person on your group ride routinely gets several flats in a day, I'd start asking myself about where or how we were riding, and if there were nothing to be done about either of those, I'd start thinking about different tires. How about some heavy duty tufos with the latex stuff in them for training on deadly roads?

Mud
03-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Yeah, what tt said.

I'd add that I wouldn't be too keen on carrying gasoline with me, even in small quantities (like a soaked cloth in a plastic bag)--it can find its way to things you don't want it on (such as your skin).

Also, I have to wonder about 6-7 spare tires per ride, even as a safety precaution. I mean, I guess you're being hyperbolic, but still ... although I've gone for pretty long stretches without a flat, I realize that anybody can have some bad luck and I have had days with multiple flats in my life. Still, if more than one person on your group ride routinely gets several flats in a day, I'd start asking myself about where or how we were riding, and if there were nothing to be done about either of those, I'd start thinking about different tires. How about some heavy duty tufos with the latex stuff in them for training on deadly roads?

Obviously you misunderstood my post. I was telling a story. I did not ride in Colombia.

sspielman
03-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Wow. 6-7 tires a piece is alot to carry...Some of the old glues were pretty good at leaving a residual on the rim. With experience, one could determine what was still 'fresh" and what was old and needed to be removed before re-gluing. If the residual wasn't too old, a very light coat of new glue could be allowed to sit for 10-15 minutes and the solvent carrier in it would re-activate the residual mastik...and the new gluing job could be completed. Alot of mechanics used to 'build up a base" of Clement or Vittoria red cement or tubasti or Pastali white cement and let them dry overnight. They would then apply a thin coating of Wolber, Vittoria, or Continenetal clear cement to both the rim and the base tape and mount the tire. Experience and judgement are the key words here...If the residual on the rim is too old, it will be impossible to get a good bond no matter what type of glue is used.

Mud
03-26-2007, 12:01 PM
My Dad was a really fine tennis player-but poor. He used to string his own racquets and for $2 would string for other people. The job was really labor intensive-hammer. awls, dowels. When I strung racquets for myself the stringers were fast, tension was on a guage, not by feel, and it zipped along in 15 - 20 minutes, not the 2 hours it took him.

The tires they used had so many patches you could not see the butyl. Forum members worry what tires to buy for Deerfield (?) but there were no choices and no money in Colombia. Unless you had a family to support you and pay the necessary "sop" your access to new equipment and travel was severely limited. It is just different now.

I like riding tubulars for no other reason than to see the expression on the riders faces who stopped to ask us if we needed help. "Just changing a tubular" says I. Fortunately this this the first flat we have ever had with tubulars, but it was bound to happen.

I also get the same kick out of the expression on peoples faces when we are out on the SS road bikes and I ask someone what is that thing hanging from the rear hub. A little twisted and having fun.

I ordered Vittoria puncture stuff in the pressurized can. I was wondering if anyone had experience with it.

Appreciate the input.

djg
03-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Obviously you misunderstood my post. I was telling a story. I did not ride in Colombia.

Ah. Got it. I've done worse.

So the only bit of my response that made sense, was the no, mebbe I'm a throwback, but I don't carry gasoline with me when I ride my bike, part.

jemoryl
03-27-2007, 07:41 AM
I work PT at a LBS. The owner is from Colombia and was a professional racer... ......Bruce

Would this be a shop in Chatham, NJ by any chance? Don't use shops much but had a BB cleaned and faced there last summer.

Joe

Mud
03-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Yes, I am there PT :beer: