PDA

View Full Version : Ride reports kids

saab2000
03-25-2007, 07:10 PM
50 miles on the nose. Rode this red Croll (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=20657&highlight=Croll) for fitty miles around Appleton, WI. Temps climbed to about 72F and I was pleased. I felt pretty good and that pleased me too.

But I am a fat slob. Going past store windows and looking at the reflection I see things I don't like!!!

No beer tonight.

Still, it was a wild success. Can't be sorry about a fitty mile ride around Appleton.

Oh, and I have no helmet here so my hair looked wild and awesome at the end. :banana: 80s hair, but no mullet unfortunately.

don'TreadOnMe
03-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the thread, Saab.

I got out for the 3rd day in a row today.
Feeling better and better w/each day out in the real world.
Too much time on the rollers over the past couple of months here in the northeast...positioning from the ol' Kreitlers needed a little tweaking once out on the road, you know?

I am loving spring. And an orange bike don't hurt things.
:banana:

Blastinbob
03-25-2007, 07:52 PM
My arse is sore! Myself and a group of Bikeforum riders did a preview ride of the Breathless Agony Century, 114 miles 12,000 v ft. It was to be a training ride for the Mulholland Century coming up in a few weeks. Breathless Agony (http://www.cyclingpros.com/onyx.htm) Don't be fooled by the record times. The clock stops when you reach the summit @ 74 miles, apparently they want you to use caution going back down to the finish.

Bob

majorpat
03-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Waited all day for the sun to come out, finally did about 3:30. Not sure how far, no computer on the bike. Best not to analyze this early in the year for a central New York rider just back on the pavement. Still ice on the north end of Skaneateles Lake, by the way.
Pat

Ginger
03-25-2007, 07:57 PM
The weather is a touch unstable yet here in Michigan.

Saturday, dirt road ride with some of my married men in lycra...Rhino Dave, MarkW, and the other Mark. 26 miles. Good hills, but the roads are about the same as in last week's pictures...I'm so glad I have the kirk, as it handled in the rough stuff very well...but sometimes a full suspension bike is all that will save you from a beating. Ah well. Good time.

Sunday.... 27 miles. Road ride with RhinoDave, MarkW, and El (I'm beginning to see a pattern here). 40 degree start, then rain with apparently dropping temps and an idiot mini van driver to spice things up and a headwind on the way home. We were shooting for 50 but it was too cold and miserable for me, I had started the morning with an empty tank due to a food poisoning issue that showed up at 3am...so the boys called it a day early. Once again, a good time...but in a slog sort of way.

SAAB...you know...a few years ago I started carrying a digicam on the rides and did my usual click click click thing...My buddy Rhino Dave was a subject of many such photos...Well...I think it was last year I told him that his pictures sucked only because he didn't take enough of them.
So now he has a digicam...
and he's taking pictures like I take pictures.

at least your proof of fat is only momentary

David Kirk
03-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Today was gray and windy so I stayed in the garage prepping the race car for another season. Yesterday was perfect outside (sunny, light breeze and 65*) so I got out on my new ride and went into the hills for a bit. Only about 20 miles but it was all up or down and it felt good to do something other than roll along on the flats. The ride had 5 climbs of a mile or more and it was too much fun.

I'm riding the new Sram stuff and liking it a lot so that adds to the fun.

Dave

PBWrench
03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
50 rural miles skirting Lake Minnetonka, out to Watertown and back with a group of nine riders. We tagged onto a club ride of 40 or so and that was fun. These early season rides are wonderful: shorts with snow on the shoulders. Getting ready for the Ironman Century at the end of April. Rubber side down.

LesMiner
03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
My wife and I took Firday afternoon off and put in about 20 miles. We did run into some snow and ice in shaded areas. Sunny and near 60 here in Minnesota. We went out yesterday for anothr 50 miles. Sunny again and mid 60's. Rain last night and today washed most all snow away. Feels like the season has started!

Jack Brunk
03-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Blastinbob is THE MAN!

102 miles on Saturday. Fairly easy pace with 5000ft of climbing.

60 miles today. Fast paced and fun on the Meivici.

Next week is the first DC of the year in Solvang. Should be fun.

My problem is I don't know if I should use the Meivici or the Look 595. it's gonna be a long week.

weisan
03-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Trying out a different training "program" this year. It was 75 degrees here in Austin on Saturday, I spent the whole morning and a good part of the afternoon cleaning up the yard, weeding and fixin' up the swing that my kids broke while testing gravitational theories. Reported back to the wife at 2:53pm, she nodded her head and gave me high marks for the work done, and with that comes the privilege to ride. At 2:53:45, I bolted out the door, and sprinted to 31mph from standstill in the garage. Rode the usual route, apparently there was a charity ride that went on in the morning, passed a couple of late finishers limping home against the wind. Wow, they must have spent at least 6 hours on the saddle, I salute em'!

2 hours later, it felt good.

I am likin' this new training program.

And by the way, rode the LOOK 281. If that old carbon technology and design is any indication of the next-gen models, I say JackBrunk-pal's 595 must be heck-of-a-ride....so Jack, I would recommend taking LOOK over the Da-Vinci.

Kevan
03-25-2007, 10:03 PM
roads were soaked and full of grit, but nice riding.

Took the beater out for a casual 20+ mile ride saturday, checking out the new saddle and fenders. No adjustments were necessary.

Today, the Westchester Cycling Club's office B+ ride kickoff. Some new kids on the block joined in and the fitness range was all over the map. I don't thing we could go 5 miles without a regroup. Everyone was dressed to the nines because it was cold out, but this knucklehead is busy trying to push the spring-thing and wore knickers, vest and armwarmers instead. The damn parking lot had to be 20 degrees, if that even!

Still, a couple hills heated me up and I ended up dressing just right for the day. Felt pretty strong and was happy with my performance within the group. Now there's this winter roll jiggling around my waist I need to eliminate. Boy, do I hate winter.

Jack Brunk
03-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Trying out a different training "program" this year. It was 75 degrees here in Austin on Saturday, I spent the whole morning and a good part of the afternoon cleaning up the yard, weeding and fixin' up the swing that my kids broke while testing gravitational theories. Reported back to the wife at 2:53pm, she nodded her head and gave me high marks for the work done, and with that comes the privilege to ride. At 2:53:45, I bolted out the door, and sprinted to 31mph from standstill in the garage. Rode the usual route, apparently there was a charity ride that went on in the morning, passed a couple of late finishers limping home against the wind. Wow, they must have spent at least 6 hours on the saddle, I salute em'!

2 hours later, it felt good.

I am likin' this new training program.

And by the way, rode the LOOK 281. If that old carbon technology and design is any indication of the next-gen models, I say JackBrunk-pal's 595 must be heck-of-a-ride....so Jack, I would recommend taking LOOK over the Da-Vinci.

Thanks weisanpal. I was leaning that way too but I probably switch 100 times between now and Friday.

Bud_E
03-25-2007, 10:32 PM
My arse is sore! Myself and a group of Bikeforum riders did a preview ride of the Breathless Agony Century, 114 miles 12,000 v ft. It was to be a training ride for the Mulholland Century coming up in a few weeks. Breathless Agony (http://www.cyclingpros.com/onyx.htm) Don't be fooled by the record times. The clock stops when you reach the summit @ 74 miles, apparently they want you to use caution going back down to the finish.

Bob

Hey, I did the Mulholland Century year before last ( Tinker Juarez did it that year - purportedly never got out of his big ring - I'm sure he finished the ride and was home watching TV while I was still on the course ). I'm not sure if the route is still the same but GAWWWWD - that last climb up Stunt road was tough - I ran out of water and no rest stop until the top. It was pure agony - I hope to do it again sometime :banana: ( alas - not this year ! ). The worst part was fighting the traffic home on the drive home to West L.A.

Good luck and have fun.

Oh - today - I hauled my fat out-of-shape self up Sepulveda and Mulholland ( Drive - not Hwy ) to Laurel Cyn and back home.

BoulderGeek
03-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Thirty mile sof fast spinning today, on Boulder's rolling roads. 67 and sunny.

Stopped by the Stazio Criterium to watch some folk go round. Good fun, smaller than previous years.

Ate a MASSIVE FILET MIGNON AU PROIVRE AND SOME WICKED fREEMARK aBBEY CABERNET AFTER. Opps, caps was on and don't feel like retyping.

Nice day to be on two wheels.

Tailwinds
03-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Today was incredibly beautiful and warm in Denver. I only had time for 1 1/2 hrs., but I made the most of it and rode my Kirk hard today... first time my bike has gone fast in months.

People keep recognizing my bike lately. This morning, I met crossjunkie in the parking lot on his beautiful Spectrum, then up rolls his friend on an awesome Strong. Another occasional poster spotted my bike a couple of days ago. Oh, and scrooge pulled up alongside me about a month ago, asking if I was "tailwinds" from the forum. My bike is famous! :rolleyes:

Tom
03-26-2007, 04:48 AM
- Saturday I went up to Lake Desolation and back. Aside from the spring signs that made me smile, taking corners fast was a nice feeling after a winter often locked to the trainer. Especially nice was the turn off 29 to Middle Line Road at about 30 miles an hour.

- Sunday night I was at work from 11 to about 4.

- So, just a 'short easy spin, I'm tired day'... well, it was short. 36 miles up over Rector and through Charlton around the lake and home. A long gradual downhill with a little tailwind does not make for going easy. It ought to, but when you can go faster, faster, faster... sometimes you have to celebrate that the walls are coming down.

Did I mention that I absolutely love those new wheels?

Now it is time to slow down and go long.

davids
03-26-2007, 08:43 AM
I had a small window for a ride Saturday morning, but when I got up, looked at the gray sky and the 38 degree temperature, I told my wife I was going to ride the trainer. She made fun of me, and that got my @ss dressed and out the door. I had a bit more than an hour, so I rode a short loop from Boston through the Blue Hills. The new compact setup on my Axiom (50-34, and 11-23) was fine for those climbs, although there's a big gap between the front and rear rings. It was just 18 miles, but it brightened the rest of my day.

Sunday, same thing, only a few degrees colder, and with some fresh (rapidly melting) snow on the ground. But this time I was happy to get myself out, planning to meet some friends for a few hours riding. Only one showed (wimps...) but we had a great time - I rode 33 miles, showed Jennifer some new roads, and began to get used to hours on the road. It was a lovely March ride.

Now all we need is another 15 degrees of heat...

Blastinbob
03-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Hey, I did the Mulholland Century year before last ( Tinker Juarez did it that year - purportedly never got out of his big ring - I'm sure he finished the ride and was home watching TV while I was still on the course ). I'm not sure if the route is still the same but GAWWWWD - that last climb up Stunt road was tough - I ran out of water and no rest stop until the top. It was pure agony - I hope to do it again sometime :banana: ( alas - not this year ! ). The worst part was fighting the traffic home on the drive home to West L.A.

Good luck and have fun.

Oh - today - I hauled my fat out-of-shape self up Sepulveda and Mulholland ( Drive - not Hwy ) to Laurel Cyn and back home. There was another guy showing off on the rock store climb in his big ring last year. They also made it a little more difficult by climbing Decker from the beach instead of Mulholland, which was closed for a tt.

Fat Robert
03-26-2007, 09:49 AM
sat -- 87 degrees, sunny, light wind, perfect. didn't race because my wife was having panic attacks that morning and needed me around to talk to. got out in the afternoon and did a end-of-rest week 10 mile TT on the club course..stevep is right, i'm a dork who trains just to train...anyway, I did a PR on the course, :20 sec faster than when I was doing 4.4 watt/kilo last year...so i'm happy with that.

sun -- 85 degrees, sunny, perfect. didn't touch my bike at all. went to church, spent time with mrs. fat, read some george eliot and raymond brown, played with the dog. bikes are overrated.

mon -- gonna bake some cookies tonight, then ride the stuffing out of the locals tomorrow....

J.Greene
03-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Saturday afternoon raced the spin city criterium in downtown Orlando. No results to report. Sunday we did 70 miles in the Hills of Clermont FL and had brunch at the german Bakery in Yalaha. Cheese pillows to die for and the coissant is amazing. 60 degrees at ride start and 78 at the finish. Never a cloud in the sky.

JG

saab2000
03-26-2007, 09:59 AM
..stevep is right, i'm a dork who trains just to train...anyway, I did a PR on the course, :20 sec faster than when I was doing 4.4 watt/kilo last year...so i'm happy with that.

sun -- 85 degrees, sunny, perfect. didn't touch my bike at all. went to church, spent time with mrs. fat, read some george eliot and raymond brown, played with the dog. bikes are overrated.

1. Training just to train is A-OK with me. Cool. I have not raced in 10 years and am fat and out of shape, but still love the riding and try to improve all the time to the old fitness.

2. The bike is not overrated. I still get a kick out of them, even after all these years. My new CSI frameset is hanging in the basement and gets oggled and fondled every couple of hours.

3. You really do go to church. Are you really gonna go to seminary? I'm a PK. Got married in a church that was a couple hundred years old when Columbus arrived. Interesting. My dad's life revolves around the church though I cannot grasp it as firmly.

bironi
03-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Saturday with the fixed group of 5 riders, low 50's and heavy rain, ~45 miles, mix of steep hills and rolling terrain.

Sunday mix of fixed and geared on a club ride,
~25 riders, hilly terrain in the sun, low 50's, ~35 miles

Beer, food, and bull**** followed the ride on both days. :beer:

rdparadise
03-26-2007, 10:16 AM
I rode Sunday for the first time during the day in over a month. I got out for just shy of 40 miles. Weather was partly sunny and wind was strong from the east. Coming back, fighting the wind was no picnic but it was a good ride for the start of the season.

BlastinBob-You are DA MAN! :banana: I'm sure you soar but in a good kind of way.

Bob

Karin Kirk
03-26-2007, 11:15 AM
It's still mostly ski season for me, although I rode last week and I'm planning on riding today.

Yesterday, on a total lark, I entered a recreational ski race. I haven't been in a race course in nearly 10 years, and ski racing was never really my thing. I played it cool while waiting to start, trying not to get overly caught up in being nervous or thinking about trying to go fast or anything like that.

Well, that all went out the window in a hurry as soon as I left the start. I underwent a dramatic personality change and all I wanted to do was huck myself down that course as fast as possible. What a hoot! I did a few more laps of the course, and it put me in a great mood for the rest of the rest of the afternoon.

In the end, I even won my age group :). I was hoping for one of those big checks like they get in NASCAR, but instead I got a medal. It was all an excellent reminder of how fun it can be to go outside one's element!

chrisroph
03-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Terry (coylifut), Philippe (teammate for 35 years and tandem stoker), and I met at the lake oswego petes at 8:30am sat. The rest of the guys were no shows. We had the fender bikes because the forecast was for rain. We started with capes, and full finger gloves and headed to Oregon City, up the bluff, and on into the country. The capes came off. We hit the old state championship course near canby and rolled rolled rolled up and down the hills taking turns of 1-2 miles at the front doing tempo. We hit some very remote roads with no cars, just the occasional old truck and some dogs and horses. Eventually, we hit mulino and turned back north. We hit a really cool bikepath that we took back into canby. My bottles were getting empty so I said lets get some water and a coke. Philippe said how about a frap I said sure. We hit a canby starbucks and walked in to neil young live at massey hall, great album, I bought it last night. The frap was good, the water was good, the music was good and the barista said with a nice smile she hated hip hop and loved neil young. We got back on the bikes refueled and rode over to the canby ferry dock. After a few minutes, we were crossing the high and muddy willamette and then werre climbing away from the river towards mtn road with a great tailwind. Terry hammered the entire 3 mile climb up mtn road at what felt like 25mph and Philippe and I were stuck to his wheel. Down the turnenberg, over to and up wisteria, back down old river easy, home with 100k, the crock pot sauce was done, nice lunch, shower and nap. Life is good.

Sunday, terry and I did an easy 30 mile recovery spin in little gears, the sun came out, lots of riders out, the daffodils are blooming, its spring around here, man I love riding and good friends.

djg
03-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Not much of a riding weekend, just catching up with the family. Friday AM I was allowed out of the house for a local club's 0-dawn-thirty pre-work ride. Saturday I was watching the kids, so I bundled them in the wife's van and went to the gym with the big mickey-d's sort of gerbil tower thing in the play room, and did a spin class and some light lifting. The woman who does the class is a young DOJ lawyer who is sort of a trip, in a good way--anybody who plays the Pogues for spin class is ok, IMHO. Sunday was beautiful--still busy, but I was able to sneak out for about thirty miles in the afternoon.

bcm119
03-26-2007, 12:37 PM
After several straight weeks of high energy weekends either racing or fast club rides, I had a nice solo ride in the woods on the cross bike.

Rode out to our local climb, marys peak, and up via the backside dirt road/old logging path. The trail was covered with debris and downed trees and I didn't see anyone else out there for the entire 2 hours of climbing. The trail comes out about 2/3 the way up on the paved road, which isn't open to cars yet. I was feeling good so I went around the gate and rode the rest of the way up, and the threatening black skies opened up as I ascended, accompanied by a steady 30 mph wind. I had to ride around fallen rocks, many downed trees, and some piles of old snow on the north side. Miserable at the top with 1/10 mile vis. and a howling wind, but man it was fun coming down. 3.5 hours.

Sunday was nice and we walked down to campus to watch the crit of the OSU omnium, the collegiate season kickoff at oregon state. An OSU guy won the B race in a bunch sprint but unfortunately all the A Beavs missed the winning break.

Bud
03-26-2007, 03:50 PM
I had a nice ride on the commutocross this morning. It was the perfect temp and I was feeling pretty good, so I left the roads and went on my favorite cow ***** trail through some of the open space. The cattle were out grazing and the calves were numerous (looks like it was a good calving season for the herd). The little guys were a bit spooked by the bike, but I took it easy going through them and had a beautiful ride. And I managed to dodge most of the pies. With any luck, I'll hit another trail on teh way home. Dirt sure is fun on this bike...

Schedule and weather permitting tomorrow, I think I'll climb up Flagstaff on the Fierte at lunchtime.

TimB
03-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Went to a local shop ride on Sunday. My in-laws were in town and agreed to watch Sophia and Annika, so both me and Mrs. went to the ride together. There she met Spokes, who was nice enough to ride with her after I got dropped.
Yep, dropped by my wife. First time ever. Sure, I was riding my fixee and lost motivation when I really needed to Water the Bushes..but is that an excuse?

Oh, the SHAME of it all!

Karin Kirk
03-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Yep, dropped by my wife. ... Oh, the SHAME of it all!
I dunno - I might think that guys would be psyched to have a spouse that rides seriously enough to give them a run for their money.
Very cool for the both of you to be out riding together! :)

Bud_E
03-26-2007, 06:05 PM
There was another guy showing off on the rock store climb in his big ring last year. They also made it a little more difficult by climbing Decker from the beach instead of Mulholland, which was closed for a tt.

Just what that ride needs - added difficulty :rolleyes: . The climb up Mulholland from PCH was where I got hit with the inevitable leg cramp jag. A young woman wearing a LaGrange kit who was pacing behind me, rode right by and effortlessly pulled away. From that point onward, I had no shame or style left - I didn't even bother to wipe the drool from the corner of my mouth as I switched into survival mode. I think less than half of the riders who started that day actually did the entire 112 miles.

saab2000
03-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Today I did 51 miles. 17.5 MPH average. It was fairly windy today in Appleton, but unseasonably warm. Global warming anyone? :no:

Good ride. Great for the base mileage and fat burning. No snap though and no real power. I used to be able to power through that wind in the 53x16. No more. The small ring actually sees some use nowadays. Even so, it was a great, great ride yet again. I did a different loop today than yesterday.

Quiet roads and a properly working bike make this a happy boy!! :banana:

rwsaunders
03-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Saturday: I hit the pavement at 7:45 am in heavy fog to meet a pal for a 40 miler. Temps started in the mid-40's but increased as the morning advanced; so did the Spring showers. Visibility remained at about 75 yards for the first hour or so. It was actually a bit eerie with the low visibility (cars without lights) but the warmer temps felt great. We came upon three other cyclists from the city who had visibility issues as well. They followed our taillights down a local hill until they reached the relative safety of the valley. The low point was when a young kid on a mountain bike appeared out of the fog on the wrong side of the road and came within two feet of taking us out. The cycling Gods were smiling upon us, though. Spring is feeling good.

swoop
03-26-2007, 06:48 PM
sunday was one of those days. i threw all my kit into a backpack and rode my bike out to the race (one of life's joys is riding to the race). once i got there i hung out with friends until start time... and for some reason all the different folks i know were there so... there was plenty of quality hanging to do.

at hand was a 56 mile crit. with a massive head wind and massive tailwind. i felt good and thought it was my race to win or lose. i was in the cat-seat for the sprint.. we'd caught the break in the last 2 miles.... i was in absolutely perfect position and i had a clear shot at an outside line to win.. and i knew i would win.
with the wind at my back and having followed the right wheels i started to wind it up with about 250 meters to the line (going over 40 at this point)..
and in a matter of three pedal strokes a pulled my hamstring so bad i screamed... unclipped.. hit the brakes.. laid the bike down and rolled up in the fetal postion...

i didn't pedal the last two hundred meters and still was 19th.... (19th isn't something to brag about... its just... i had the brakes on and wasn't pedaling and had one leg in the pedals the last 100 meters).
so happy to feel superhuman on a long hard crit and so bummed to hurt myself with that feeling in your belly when you know you're gonna podium or win.

i've never had that specific injury before.... and i never want it again. i drank two bottles and had a feed too... but i guess i've been alittle dehydrated the last week or so....

that feeling of doing everything right and having the form on the day is like crack, its so addictive.... but to have it go away in the last 5 seconds...

was unfun!

riding home was mad painful!
it so rare to find a cat 3 crit that requires fitness.... and the wind and the length played into my strengths.... it's kind of like having cindy crawford naked for you at home waiting in bed... but realizing you locked yourself out of the apartment.

or something like that. yikes.

PBWrench
03-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Swoop -- here's a pair of keys for your apartment. Give one to Cindy for safe keeping.

pale scotsman
03-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Haven't ridden since 3/17, a 40 mile hell bent for leather group ride into 15-20 mph head winds. Took the family and 2 more 13 year old boys, can you say stress, to Panama City for Spring Break. Yeah I got a slight burn the first day, didn't drink too much beer, but ate like a king. The boys now think they are players after getting multiple phone #'s from young ladies... Man how young ladies grow these days... It's kinda scary. Well anyhoo we've got a 92 mile American Cancer Society ride April 6th. Better get my butt in gear quick.

fierte_poser
03-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Sunday: 35 miles including a 1000 ft climb up to Horsetooth Resevoir. Spent 40 minutes at the top of the hill fixing a friend's flat... "Oh, so there was a *second* piece of metal in the tire!" :crap:

Best part: those 35 miles put me over the 1000 mile mark on my 2006 Fierte! :banana: x 1000 !

Bartape1
03-26-2007, 07:16 PM
I saw this thread after I posted a ride report in my picture thread. Oops, I should have read first. 50 miles on Saturday! Maiden voyage of the Legend.

stevep
03-26-2007, 07:41 PM
swoop,
ill pay for the door of your apartment.
sorry,
had to.
s

Grant McLean
03-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Just got back from a 90 minute spin after work.
It's 70 degrees at my pad uptown, and it was 40 down
at the lake. didn't expect that! at least the thunderstorms
earlier today washed a lot of the winter load of dog poop
off the bikepath.

g

nobrakes
03-26-2007, 08:15 PM
My first real bike ride since "dogs in road/broken collarbone that requires added titanium incident" happened last Tuesday. Unfortunately, I made the horrible mistake of bringing and riding my bike with the PowerCranks. This was my first ride on the road with these things, and they are murder, plain and simple. I'd been using them regularly on my trainer all winter, but on the road, they were a disaster for me. It wouldn't have been so really bad, but 7 months off the road, from the collarbone crisis, before that I was recovering from a really bad crash from summer of '05, when I was laid up from June, '05 until Jan. '06. Let's say I was ambitious in attempting to get back some fitness. I lasted 20 miles. I remember when 20 miles was a warmup! Now, it's the goal! The only consolation was that it didn't rain. The following Thurs. we did our fixed gears, and 22 miles was sooo much better. I think it'd be wise to save the PowerCranks for the trainer. At least until I'm more up to speed. It is extremely good to get back on the bike again, after two almost consecutive crashes.

onekgguy
03-26-2007, 08:47 PM
a beautiful day in minneapolis today with the temp creeping into the lower 80s. the first time this year i've been able to ride without extra layers and it was a nice feeling. i'm forcing myself to take at least two rest days each week this year...sunday and tuesday, to allow for more recovery time as i'm bad about that.

today's ride (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/kml/episode.kml%3FepisodePkValues%3D2328889&ie=UTF8&z=11&om=1) took me from lakeville through shakopee, jordan, prior lake and back into lakeville. i'm ready for my rest day tomorrow so i can hit it again on wednesday. ;)

Kevin g

Jack Brunk
03-26-2007, 11:25 PM
40 mile recovery ride on my Serotta fixed gear. Gosh the fixie is just a great fun ride. It's pretty cool to hang in a pack of pretty fast riders with only one gear.

TimB
03-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Karin -

My wife was stoked she dropped me, and honestly I was just fine with it. She's been working hard, at the Y almost every morning by 6am, and has lost about 20 pounds the last three months.

The only riding I've been doing is my 20 mile round trip to work - 15 of the last 17 days - and this ride last Sunday - so I was tired and not all too motivated to bust my butt to maintain 25mph on my fixee (42 x 16) to keep up with the fastest group. Katie was beaming when I passed the spot where she was waiting for me though, and happily reported she was the only woman who'd hung in with the fast boys.

We met biking, our first unofficial date was a 40-mile tandem ride; she chose a custom Serotta over a diamond ring as an engagement gift; we've done RAGBRAI together on the tandem (with her 15 weeks pregnant)...so yea, it's nice to have a spouse who shares the cycling passion.

She just shouldn't drop me...(sniffle)...I've always waited for her...

Karin Kirk
03-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Right on Tim and Katie!

How very cool that Katie has lost weight, gotten fitter and now can hang with the fast guys! That is no small accomplishment and no doubt she is proud! It sounds like you two share the ideal cycling life together. Lucky for both of you!
Dave and I are lucky in that way too... except that I doubt I will ever drop him, unless perhaps he only pedals with one leg. :)