PDA

View Full Version : Shin splints.

A.L.Breguet
03-25-2007, 03:52 PM
:crap: Ouch, Mrs. Breguet has dealt with shin splints since high sckool field hockey. Recently, she hit the treadmill pretty hard and the SS's have returned.
Any suggestions on the treatment and avoidance of said splints?
I know nothing of such a malady, as I find the very thought of running anywhere, under any circumstances most distasteful. :D Sorry.
Thanks in advance.

marle
03-25-2007, 03:57 PM
I would apply ice packs to the shins immediately after each run

stevep
03-25-2007, 04:20 PM
make her ride a bike.
fixed.

regularguy412
03-25-2007, 05:19 PM
+1 per SteveP

Really, they're just sore muscles. Ice after, as already stated, and cut back on the duration. Just gradually sneak up on more miles. I had 'em after my first long ride this season. Lasted one day and none since.

Mike in AR

thejen12
03-25-2007, 05:21 PM
+1 on the ice packs after running, and maybe a couple other times a day, too. If she's had a history of shin splints, perhaps she needs custom orthotics? She may have a biomechanical issue.

Good luck. I had the same problem and wound up with a stress fracture. :( Fortunately, it didn't interfere with riding. :)

Jenn

A.L.Breguet
03-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Oi, stevep and regular guy, I hear ya, but she refuses to touch a bike that isn't stationary and indoors.

stevep
03-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Oi, stevep and regular guy, I hear ya, but she refuses to touch a bike that isn't stationary and indoors.

alas.

regularguy412
03-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Tandem :banana:

A.L.Breguet
03-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Tandem :banana:
Thus far, only a fantasy.......

OldDog
03-25-2007, 08:13 PM
I get them, a year or so ago I posted the same question. TooTall suggested tight knotted muscles as the cause. He advised icing down the muscles and purchasing a "???" (dang, I forget the name of it!) One of the roller sticks for rolling out your muscles. Colorado Cyclist carrys them. Seems to work for me, though I never was much of a runner and still am not. Give one a try.

BBB
03-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Shin splits as I understand it is the muscle tearing away from the bone, causing bleeding. I developed them long ago playing Aussie Rules football and was treated by being fitted for orthotics as well as various other things like stretching, ice and running on the beach in a 5-10 centimeters of water (well I didn't do the later, but it is meant to enable you to run in a lower impact environment).

AgilisMerlin
03-25-2007, 09:32 PM
take said treadmill over to nearest railroad track. Place said treadmill in middle of track. Throw penny on top of said treadmill.

walk away

shin splints gone

BoulderGeek
03-26-2007, 10:59 AM
I never had shin splints from cycling.

But, I got them bad last summer as I trained for triathlon. It was awful. I tried ice, elevation, massage.

Felt like I was a KFC drumstick being gnawed to the bone.

The only solution I could find was not to go running.

theprep
03-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Shin splints and only being 5'10" tall ended my basketball career years ago.

She needs to rest her legs for a couple of months and do some healing.

marle
03-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Shin splits as I understand it is the muscle tearing away from the bone, causing bleeding. .

The calf pulls and causes little stress fractures. A possible correction to the imbalance is an excercise - 'toe risers'. That is, place the heal on the ground and lift your toes up and down endlessly to develope the muscles in the front of the leg. It worked for me before knee issues got me off running.

A.L.Breguet
03-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great info and suggestions. I hope Mrs. will understand now why I spend so much time on "that dumb forum". :banana:

Too Tall
03-27-2007, 07:31 AM
I've treated a bunch of runners who suffered chronic shin splints. The bad news is that if you can not maintain supple fronts of your lower legs than it will always be a prob. Combination of stretching, ice and massage seem to keep it incheck for most folks. Gait analysis was the fix for a few of the runners eg. figure out if part of the issue is how you strike the ground.

Worst case scenario is having someone like me do deep tissue work to release all the darn adhesions. I think the front of your shin has a huge amt. of nerve endings :(

Swimming?