PDA

View Full Version : 07 Campy cranks too boring?

Xyzzy
03-24-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure I like the red.

I bet Shimano users will like these.

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/jspfulcrum/newsdetail.jsp?newsid=10&newscatid=2

Interesting way to expand the market a bit.

Bill Bove
03-24-2007, 08:15 PM
130 or 135 BCD? Wouldn't that be a hoot.

Xyzzy
03-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Wouldn't the hidden bolt behind the arm force them to use 135BCD? I'm guessing these are identical to Campy cranks, with different decals.

From a user point of view, 99% don't care. It isn't like you can replace the rings on a Campy crank with anything else anyways. (Yet.)

(I bet even the 110BCD rings are proprietary.)

Big Dan
03-24-2007, 08:53 PM
I prefer a DA crankset thanks.

:)

Bill Bove
03-25-2007, 08:45 AM
A good idea really, make a complete Campy group to Shimano spec's. Same cassette spacing, shifter pull... And label it as Fulcrum. You could then mix and match Campy (as Fulcrum) with Shimano drivetrains. Fulcrum levers with a D.A. derailer...

BdaGhisallo
03-25-2007, 12:18 PM
I am not a Campy user so I haven't paid too much attention to their new cranks, but to my untrained eye, these things simply look like Campy cranks with Fulcrum logos affixed. Does anyone who has the Campy cranks spot any differences?

Xyzzy
03-25-2007, 12:22 PM
This link is unrelated to this thread, but it is not worthy of its own thread:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x157l2_bugatti-veyron-at-top-speed

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Johny
03-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I am not a Campy user so I haven't paid too much attention to their new cranks, but to my untrained eye, these things simply look like Campy cranks with Fulcrum logos affixed. Does anyone who has the Campy cranks spot any differences?

They are different although from the same company.

jhcakilmer
03-25-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm sure the only difference with the Fulcrum crankset, is that they just charge some ridiculous price. I'm a campy user, but they seem to be going in that direction, which I really dislike!

Big Dan
03-25-2007, 08:43 PM
March 22, 2007--When is an Ultra Torque crank not a Campagnolo Ultra Torque crank? When it's made by Fulcrum. The Taiwan-based component maker, which already markets wheels designed by Campagnolo, will start selling a line of cranksets based on the Ultra Torque system, according to ppolnews.com. Two models will be offered, both in carbon fiber. The pricier "RS" version is advertised at 699 grams (with cups and bearings), while the "R" model weighs in at 751 grams. Hollow arms and alloy chainring bolts bring the weight down on the RS. More info here

http://www.campyonly.com/rumors.html

:rolleyes:

Xyzzy
03-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Taiwan?

:confused:

vaxn8r
03-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Taiwan?

:confused:
Is that a bad thing?

Xyzzy
03-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Is that a bad thing?
I'm sure the parts all meet the specifications and are perfectly serviceable.

I'll pay the extra money to buy parts from the traditional places, even if their QC isn't as good. (I don't know if it is or not.)

My bike has Italian, German, French, Swiss, British and American parts. It does have Japanese chain ring bolts, only because I can't stomach shelling out $16.50 for ONE chain ring bolt, so I got Dura Ace ones for $16.50 for FIVE. I can't remember, but my BB bearings may be Swedish (SKF) or Japanese (NSK). If Timken made that size I'd be all over it.

I'm not xenophobic. I just like what I like.

I wonder where the Fulcrum wheels are made. I'm pretty sure they are made in Italy.

Big Dan
03-26-2007, 06:58 AM
I wonder what other parts make their way from Taiwan / China to Italia?
I'm sure a bitter pill to swallow for Campy guys..........

:p

Xyzzy
03-26-2007, 07:43 AM
I can't remember, but my BB bearings may be Swedish (SKF) or Japanese (NSK). If Timken made that size I'd be all over it.I just checked. They are EZO (Japanese). But, I found the bearing on SKF's website after a lot of searching. They added a "1" to the designation for some reason. I guess I'll order these if the originals ever wear out. (They are so big I expect 30-40,000 miles from them.)

Bill Bove
03-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Does it matter where a part/frame is made? If it is made to the name on it's specs than it is that names product, where ever it is made. I just got a couple of Colnago CLX's in stock, they are Colnago's, I ride a Serotta Colorado Al built by Kinesis, it's a Serotta. If Campy want's move some production out of pastaland it will still be a Campy part if they want to cause some confusion by calling it something else, good for them. The interwebs have been getting boring lately.

By the way, I believe I read somewhere here on the internets that most of the Budweiser sold in California is brewed in Japan. 'merican beer or not, discuss.

Serpico
03-26-2007, 09:02 AM
I forsee a thread in 5 years

"Fulcrum cranks too lame looking?"

pdxmech13
03-26-2007, 10:22 AM
i decided long ago only to purchase carbon parts form india

davyt
03-27-2007, 05:11 AM
<snip>By the way, I believe I read somewhere here on the internets that most of the Budweiser sold in California is brewed in Japan. 'merican beer or not, discuss.

I don't believe this to be true: there is a Budweiser brewery in Fairfield, CA that is more than capable of slaking our thirst for really light lager (the tour at the Jelly Belly factory (http://jellybelly.com/Cultures/en-US/NewsEvents/Stores/Jelly+Belly+Visitor+Center+-+Fairfield.htm) across the road is much better, by the way).

Anheuser Busch Inc. do have ties in Japan, though: "The Company brews, markets and sells Kirin-Ichiban and Kirin Light through a license agreement with Kirin Brewing Company, Ltd. of Japan for sale in the United States," and, "in Japan, Budweiser is brewed and sold through a license agreement with Kirin Brewery Company, Limited."

More info here (http://stocks.us.reuters.com/stocks/fullDescription.asp?symbol=BUD) for the terminally curious.

And, if you're gonna' drink a Budweiser, you're much better off with one of these (http://www.czechvar.com/)...